Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2015, 10:18 PM   #61 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
In single car accidents trucks are about 40% more likely to result in fatalities. I used the single car example since there is no dispute over the fault of the operator. They cited the rollover issues due to higher center of gravity.

regards
mech

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-29-2015, 10:34 PM   #62 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Silver Magnum - '03 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
90 day: 11.43 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
In single car accidents trucks are about 40% more likely to result in fatalities. I used the single car example since there is no dispute over the fault of the operator. They cited the rollover issues due to higher center of gravity.

regards
mech
I agree, most people don't realize that something that is 3000+ lb heavier than a car CAN'T just decide to move right NOW, however in my case I have done my best to solve these problems (now mind you this dons't mean I do stupid stuff)
Old 01-29-2015, 10:53 PM   #63 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Oh I would absolutely rather be in a heavy vehicle when there is a collision, however give me a Porsche 911 S and you have your truck. Now place us in a paved rectangle of 2 miles square. Do you think you could hit me intentionally in that scenario? My mother was driving a 1977 Honda Accord on US 1 in the Florida Keys when a drunk in a Cadillac swerved into her lane at a combined speed approaching 100 MPH. Pop was riding in the passengers seat of the less than 2000 pound Accord (first year made).

She flicked that car around the Cadillac in 1979. Pop said it was an amazing piece of driving and had they been in their Mercury Montego that collision would never have been avoided. Pop turns 94 this May 8th.

I've had a light very manoeuverable car, a 1973 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000, save my arse from my own stupid mistake that would have certainly killed me if not for the exceptional handling of that 2000 pound car.

regards
mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (01-30-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 11:07 PM   #64 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Oh I would absolutely rather be in a heavy vehicle when there is a collision, however give me a Porsche 911 S and you have your truck. Now place us in a paved rectangle of 2 miles square. Do you think you could hit me intentionally in that scenario? My mother was driving a 1977 Honda Accord on US 1 in the Florida Keys when a drunk in a Cadillac swerved into her lane at a combined speed approaching 100 MPH. Pop was riding in the passengers seat of the less than 2000 pound Accord (first year made).

She flicked that car around the Cadillac in 1979. Pop said it was an amazing piece of driving and had they been in their Mercury Montego that collision would never have been avoided. Pop turns 94 this May 8th.

I've had a light very manoeuverable car, a 1973 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000, save my arse from my own stupid mistake that would have certainly killed me if not for the exceptional handling of that 2000 pound car.

regards
mech
2 mile square? lol I would kinda like to test that just to see what would happen lol! I pull one hell of a 1/4mile time but can't turn very fast so idk, probably not but I might catch you! Though seriously when I'm driving on public roads I normally am in the right lane 5 under and always leave myself as much room as possible front and back. (though the damn tailgaters ALWAYS think its a great idea to trail a massive truck that happens to have brembos that can stop it stupid fast at a distance so close I can BARELY see them over the bed, the hell they think is gonna happen if, say, a deer decides to jump front of me?)
Old 01-30-2015, 03:35 PM   #65 (permalink)
Beating EPA Unmodded

Blue Eagle - '10 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)
Tailgating normal people trucks is a dumb idea 100% of the time. You don't even get that much of a draft from one anyways, so better FE is out of the picture. But I guess people are stupid everywhere, considering people tailgate my Civic sometimes and I see them doing the same to Priuses as well.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:20 PM   #66 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I am tailgating as hard as I can! Why aren't you driving the way that I want?!

I drove my dad's F150 the same speed that I drive my Civic, except since it weighed a couple times as much, pretty much everything else was different, but it cornered far better than my Forester!

I did not notice anyone following me in the truck, but I get tailgated all of the time in my Honda! I was not tailgated, but I was followed the other morning as I drove to work. It was dark, but I recognized Crown Victoria headlights, so I changed lanes when it was open, and a car with blacked-out headlights pulled up alongside, paced me for a bit, and finally sped off.

About a month ago, I was driving home, and someone followed me for a few miles, with their flashers going! "Hey everyone! Watch out for this reckless granny driver!" Before he made his turn, someone passed me, also using their flashers.

Sorry, that was off-topic, but they were curious experiences, they just did not merit their own thread.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:33 PM   #67 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by awcook View Post
Tailgating normal people trucks is a dumb idea 100% of the time. You don't even get that much of a draft from one anyways, so better FE is out of the picture. But I guess people are stupid everywhere, considering people tailgate my Civic sometimes and I see them doing the same to Priuses as well.
No way......they try that with priuses?
Old 01-30-2015, 08:49 PM   #68 (permalink)
Beating EPA Unmodded

Blue Eagle - '10 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)
Yes, people try tailgating Priuses. No idea why, considering it is dangerous and they are going down a multilane highway, but they still attempt it. Maybe they think that if they do what a Prius does they will get good fuel economy, but it's still the stupidest thing that I have ever seen.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:08 PM   #69 (permalink)
Not bad for a machine

Maechunbu - Retired - '00 Kia Sephia 1.8I4 16VDOHC
Last 3: 45.28 mpg (US)

Slasher - '96 Chevy Corsica 2.2L 3speedauto
Duct Tape Aero Crew
Team Chevy
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)
I don't like people tailgating me when I drive a big box truck for work. I am afraid of them crashing into me and getting hurt. I really can't see you behind the truck. If I click my cruise control off or pick my foot up to avoid a big bump or pot hole it will slow down really quickly, about as fast as my car does when I hit the brakes.

I also hate the "super truckers" that try to pass me going .5 MPH faster.
They will come up behind you and get so close and sweep to the left lane and try so hard to pass I am afraid of slowing down and having them crash into me destroying all of our customers stuff.

Also It takes several minutes for him to actually pass and I get a small car right behind me again.

I used to enjoy driving these box trucks but not anymore.....*

* I will probably change my mind when Its nice out and I visit cowmeat for my first ride in a hybrid...

Old 01-30-2015, 09:18 PM   #70 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

When someone starts tailgating me I just let my speed vary enough to get them to pass. Since most of the roads I drive are 4 lanes it usually does not become an issue. On two lane roads I just P&G if they want to follow too close.

I have had them pass me in some dangerous and illegal places, but if they pass I just shift to neutral and let them get by with as little drama as possible.

I've had a couple that were so oblivious to anything other than staying 2-3 car lengths behind me, on a 4 lane highway with no other traffic close, that I coasted from the speed limit (45mph) down to below 25 before they finally went around me.

One nice thing about coasting, while idiots will blow by you only to slam on their brakes at the red light 200 yards ahead, at least the coasting reduces the chance of them actually running into your rear end.

regards
mech

Reply  Post New Thread