Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012, 12:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Toylet - '87 Toyota Supra 350 Chevy V8 / 700R4

In-Durrrr-Oh - '09 TMEC Enduro TMEC 200cc Enduro
90 day: 60.9 mpg (US)

Tem-poo - '86 Ford Tempo GL 4 Door 2.0 Liter Diesel 5 Speed
90 day: 47.52 mpg (US)

Ass Tick - '01 Pontiac Pontiac Aztek GT 5 Door

Green Baby Poop Stain - '01 Pontiac Aztek Aztek Base Model

Black Track - '01 Pontiac Aztek GT
As much as a manual would be awsome and obviously prefered, it's cost and labor far outweigh the automatic. I'll be using the same tranny it came with, the 700R4. Or I guess they changed the name in '92 to the 4L60. In '93 they made it fully electronic, 4L60E and done away with the TV. It's going to have to be reliable so keeping temps down will be important. Oil cooler, trans cooler, and perhaps dual fans. Hopefully the weather will at least get into the 40's soon so I can get started. Been so cold and I've been lazy. Been driving the Tempo so soon the Caprice project can begin.
VT247

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-17-2012, 12:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

No smog or vehicle inspections here....yet. So yea, they don't even check. In California or other states I'm sure this couldn't be done.
VT247
Old 02-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationtime247 View Post
As much as a manual would be awsome and obviously prefered,
it's cost and labor far outweigh the automatic.

I'll be using the same tranny it came with, the 700R4.
VT247
When your talking putting a foreign motor that never came into a car why not do it right with a proper xmsn?

Having had a700r4 swap to manual done myself I really can't say I agree with either of your statements.

The cost of the NV3500 5 sp manual is the same or lower than a 700r4.

It bolts up the same as a 700r4 and is the same size with the same mounting as a 700r4.

The only issue is cutting a whole in the floor and figuring out how to bolt up a pedal.

Also the NV3500 on a 6.2 will outlast several 700r4's, an NV4500 if you have the time and money will outlast many 700r4s so its cost of ownership ends up even lower.

So labor, maybe more, but we're talking a motor swap so the xmsn is usually just icing in a rwd.

Cost probably not NV3500's which are a drop in replacement for a 700r4 are a dime a dozen.

But if labor is no issue keep your 700r4 to get the motor working and the car straight, when it burns up in 50000 miles get an NV3500 and do the swap later.

Cheers
Ryan
Old 02-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The biggest obstacle with converting it over to a manual is the clutch pedal. There are after market companies that sell a kit, but it's insanely expensive. Bought the Caprice wagon for $1k. Really don't want to spend more than another $1k on the conversion. Would like to get that money back after @30k miles in fuel savings. Then on top of that when it comes time to sell the car. Hmmm... wonder if there'd be any market for Caprice diesel conversions?
VT247
Old 02-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
The biggest obstacle with converting it over to a manual is the clutch pedal. There are after market companies that sell a kit, but it's insanely expensive.
Nah, not on a B body
I found i good clutch pedal for B-bodies - Chevrolet Impala SS Forum : Chevy Impala SS Forums

As long as you have the skill to mess with a little sheetmetal and preferably a junk vehicle or U-pull it place nearby it shouldn't be real bad, just remember it doesn't have to be BEAUTIFUL, just functional, if you don't mind the brake and clutch a little close and a funny looking pedal your golden.

I also strongly recommend starting a thread on thedieselplace.com, many members there have done various auto to manual swaps with 6.2s and can give good recommendations.

Quote:
Bought the Caprice wagon for $1k. Really don't want to spend more than another $1k on the conversion. Would like to get that money back after @30k miles in fuel savings.
Oh I know and fully agree. It costs nothing to look around to see if a cheap NV3500 donar is laying around in a field. Plus you would be surprized how much free local help you can get sometimes if you start asking around, use craigslist and do a little digging. A project like this is best done with lots of beer and plenty of time and some good friends.

Anyway I have seen many low cost 6.2 MT conversions, some under $250 and being a GM vehicle you would be amazed at how much stuff can be standard between the MT and auto in the 1990's vehicles.

Also I just know that if you go the 6.2 route the vehicle will be much more enjoyable/functional as a manual. At least mine seems to be.

Quote:
Then on top of that when it comes time to sell the car. Hmmm... wonder if there'd be any market for Caprice diesel conversions?
VT247
Like anything, build it for yourself and keep the cost low, if you figure on selling the thing good luck. There is a market for anything but with the economy the way it is not much of a market.

Never know though....

A big car that gets north of 30mpg would attract some attention.

Anyway I don't mean to be a nag, I just would like to see you look around a little before going the auto route. You might be surprized with a little luck.

But that said, if you can't find the parts in a reasonable amount of time, do it up as an Auto and keep us posted, I and many others here would like to see a SUCESSFUL swap like this done.

Not to mention if you do your own work (or have friends to help) you can always drop an NV3500 in for the auto later if/when you find parts at the right price.

Happy swapping.

Reply  Post New Thread