Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2009, 02:30 AM   #61 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
chuckm,

i think this was discussed before in my "mesh grillblock" thread, but unfortunately there's not much to be gained it seems from a perforated grillblock... the sum of all the holes would basically be the size of your air intake

aerohead

i did some quick measurements on a picture and found the combined grill opening of my car is still roughly 30% of the total grill area. the lower openin is about 16% or 1/6 th ! of the total grill, the top grill (wich has a partial grillblock from the factory) is about 14%.

the original grill duct was not very well sealed however as there where structural(?) holes in the suport beams wich connected the pre radiator cavity to the underside of the car (however my curent undertray seals this of)

*i can coast for miles and miles and miles*
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-24-2009, 08:47 PM   #62 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
This is my Civic.
This is thin lauan plywood, primed and painted.
The wire loops going back into the grill are a bit ghetto but I'm good with it.

Been meaning to redo this in plexiglass so you can see the "H" logo but other projects keep getting in line ahead of that.

My lower grill is about 2/3 blocked. Never had to open it up any more than that all summer, including using a/c on occasion. In winter I'll probably have the lower grill about 80-90% blocked.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #63 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarhighway View Post
chuckm,

i think this was discussed before in my "mesh grillblock" thread, but unfortunately there's not much to be gained it seems from a perforated grillblock... the sum of all the holes would basically be the size of your air intake

aerohead

i did some quick measurements on a picture and found the combined grill opening of my car is still roughly 30% of the total grill area. the lower openin is about 16% or 1/6 th ! of the total grill, the top grill (wich has a partial grillblock from the factory) is about 14%.

the original grill duct was not very well sealed however as there where structural(?) holes in the suport beams wich connected the pre radiator cavity to the underside of the car (however my curent undertray seals this of)
So at 30% it DOES look like you have some wiggle room on the opening if you can get the inlet air-tight.--------- As an aside,the Porsche 928 went from an engine-driven fan to 2-variable-volume electric fans along with thermostatically-controlled radiator shutters for better warmup/emissions/mpg,if the "passive" system proves to weird,perhaps Porsche's tech might be worth a look.-------------- P.S. it's the science of passing gas "stations"! Just messin' with you.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:48 AM   #64 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
So at 30% it DOES look like you have some wiggle room on the opening if you can get the inlet air-tight.
it's fairly tight as it is, but (there's always a but) my engin air pickup goes trough the front bulkhead into be area behind the bumper wich is an extention of the area in front of the radiator... so it's fed by the grill.

i have been looking into making an air extraction duct behind the grill. i wouldn't be able to get it perfectly sealed becouse a lot of ducts running there, but i could greate a path to extractor louvres in the undertray

Old 09-30-2009, 06:07 PM   #65 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
extractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarhighway View Post
it's fairly tight as it is, but (there's always a but) my engin air pickup goes trough the front bulkhead into be area behind the bumper wich is an extention of the area in front of the radiator... so it's fed by the grill.

i have been looking into making an air extraction duct behind the grill. i wouldn't be able to get it perfectly sealed becouse a lot of ducts running there, but i could greate a path to extractor louvres in the undertray
It would be nice if all cars had a complete pressure profile of the body included in the owner's manual.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:17 AM   #66 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
It would be nice if all cars had a complete pressure profile of the body included in the owner's manual.
or at least on the website... but when will that happen, most don't even give the Cd let alone the frontal area

Old 12-05-2010, 07:48 PM   #67 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Aveo - '08 Chevolet Aveo LS
Could you not technically do a grill shield, as you describe, and pipe the intake of the car up to the radiator, drawing air through the radiator cooling the engine?
Old 12-06-2010, 02:09 AM   #68 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

you mean have the engine intake draw air trough the radiator, and as such create an extra warm air intake?

it sounds like an appealing idea, but i imagine the radiator restricts airflow quite a bit so while an intake inlet befor the rad wil benefit from high pressure, the intake behind it will suffer from flow restriction wich is not good for the engine performance.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:56 AM   #69 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Aveo - '08 Chevolet Aveo LS
if you used some kind of expanding funnel between the air intake pipe and the radiator, it could work.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:49 PM   #70 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I don't think getting the engine to suck in less dense air by feeding it HOT air is a good idea.

Reply  Post New Thread