Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

New guy from Florida, PickupTruck driver

Hello All.

New guy from Florida. I don't exactly own the most eco friendly of vehicles. I drive a Dodge Ram Megacab 4x4 with a 5.7 Hemi and I'm able to squeeze about 11mpg out of it. Most people with my truck are reporting around 8-10mpg with most getting closer to 8. I read alot and took alot of tips from the Hypermilers on other forums like CleanMPG and such. I also drive a 92 Ford Bronco with a 6cyl/5spd manual. I manage right now to get around 14mpg with it.

I found this site after researching the MPGuino for my Bronco. I've kinda grown to rely on the heads up display on these newer vehicles and really began to want one for my Bronco. Hopefully I'll be able to use it to better my economy in the Bronco and take more tips from everyone here to have a cleaner, better running vehicle.

Thanks all

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
We have pretty much the same truck at work, only with the smaller 4.7L engine, but it's EPA rated for close to the same mileage it looks like 12-17mpg.
Now of course this is a work truck, so it has a 20 foot tandem axle trailer with a ramp gate on the back, tools and 2,000 pounds of granite half the time and we still average 10mpg in the winter and 11mpg without trying in the summer, when I do try to boost the mileage I've gotten it up to 16mpg with the trailer empty, I also managed 15mpg with 47 55 gallon drums loaded up by going 50mph.
These trucks have alot of drive train with the 4 wheel drive, we run full synthetic oil, tranny fluid and gear oil, stock tires, low grade gas, so nothing special is going on.
I'd like to know if you find any good ways to boost mileage on this vehicle as I feel really bad driving it, even tho it's loaded up with equipment.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Close but not quite the same.

My trucks actually a 1500(HD) if they actually built one that way. On paper, it's a 1500, in reality though it sits on the 2500 chassis minus 1 rear leaf spring. I wieghed it on the scales a few weeks back and discovered it wieghed in at 7300lbs. That was empty, 3/4 tank(I think) and my 45lb son sitting in the back seat. I think the QuadCab wieghs in around 55-6500lbs. My MegaCab is essentially the LongBed 2500 with a regular box in the back and the extra space is taken up by the extended cab. THe interior space is incredible in that truck, you can actually recline the seats in the back to about 30*. The leg room in there is so good that me(6'3", 270lb and my BIL(6'6", 270lb) can sit in the back seats with the front seats all the way back and still have leg room. I also, don't have the MDS in the Hemi, like that which comes in the actual 1500's. I'd probably be abel to stretch out an extra 2mpg,s if it had that in there. But, anyway. I didn't realize how low the MPG's were with that truck when I ordered it. Had I known, I'd have probably bit the bullet and spent the extra for the Diesel version just for the added fuel economy of it.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
Do you need the truck?
Old 04-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I don't need alot of things but I prefer the safety of my vehicle and the ability to carry and travel where I need to, when I need to. I'm 6'3", 270lbs. This is the first vehicle I've ever owned that I fit comfortably in and did not have to push the seat all the way back and lift the steering wheel high. It does spend most of it's time on the hard paved roads and I will admit that I do have to drive it through an off side dirt road every couple of months just to keep the 4x4 in service but...

I have been involved in 3 separate vehicle accident since buying this truck, non of which were my fault. I had a fellow in Civic hybrid(ironically) rear end me one night while trying to draft(His words) and was unable to stop quickly enough. End result, I had to replace my trailer hitch and rear bumper, his civic, totaled. Air bags deployed, engine broken, front end crushed. The truck was only 6months old at the time and had less than 5000 miles on it. Recently, I had a person decide to change lanes without looking and ran the length of my side of the vehicle. There was minor paint damage, 1 dent, and a scratched rear bumper. My bumper caught the skin of his Altima at the rear door and ripped the skin off all the way up to the front fender. It even damaged one of the side impact rails on the door. I barely felt it or heard anything. 2 months after getting it back from the body shop I had someone in an older model Lexus literally run under my rear wheels. I ran over their car hood just forward of their front tires and did no damage to my vehicle at all. I barely felt the bump when it happened.

So, the question, do I need it, no. Do I value my life and the life and safety of my family, Yes. Do I want to get the most out of my vehicles and keep them running a peak performance for the best possible use of fuel. Yes.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcD348 View Post
So, the question, do I need it, no.
We have a member that fits in a Geo Metro with no problems, I might add, who is 6'8" and over 350lbs.

You may be onto something, we could all drive 3 ton tanks to "protect" our families.

I don't mine you driving a truck, just don't use the "safety/4x4" excuse.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonMPG View Post
We have a member that fits in a Geo Metro with no problems, I might add, who is 6'8" and over 350lbs.

You may be onto something, we could all drive 3 ton tanks to "protect" our families.

I don't mine you driving a truck, just don't use the "safety/4x4" excuse.
1st off I will argue that being that size and doesn't have an issue with a vehicle that size. And secondly, my vehicle is inherently safer than the smaller econoboxes out there. I have been involved in accidents due to others driving habits and can say I am safer in my choice of vehicles than in something else. I also am not limited in my ability to go where I want, when I want in regards to my hobbies and leisure activities.

So I take it from the previous couple of posts, you're one of those militant types who classify me as one of those Mother Earth Raper, Big Car driving, Baby Seal beaters. I got that alot from the few posts over on CleanMPG for the short period of time I spent there.

The simple fact of the matter is that I do appreciate the value of safety for me and my family. It is not my responsibility to protect everyone else. I provide for me and mine, I pay taxes that go to the provision of others who choose not to.

I do everything in my power to do the best with the amount I earn and am given. I see no need to waste, I recycle, I plan accordingly to get the most from what I have. I choose to drive a large truck because that is what I want and can afford to do. If you have an issue with that I would gladly discuss it with you via PM and not in the public forum.

I do not have a sense of superiority but I do take issue with those who drive their Prius', Geos, and other fuel sippers and see the need to give me the finger when driving down the highway. You Sir or Ma'am whoever you may be should rethink your priorities in life. It doesn't matter what a person drives and it really should make no difference to you or your quality of life.

So I take it from the previous couple of posts, you're one of those militant types who classify me as one of those Mother Earth Raper, Big Car driving, Baby Seal beaters. I got that alot from the few posts over on CleanMPG for the short period of time I spent there.

The simple fact of the matter is that I do appreciate the value of safety for me and my family. It is not my responsibility to protect everyone else. I provide for me and mine, I pay taxes that go to the provision of others who choose not to.

I do everything in my power to do the best with the amount I earn and am given. I see no need to waste, I recycle, I plan accordingly to get the most from what I have. I choose to drive a large truck because that is what I want and can afford to do. If you have an issue with that I would gladly discuss it with you via PM and not in the public forum.

I do not have a sense of superiority but I do take issue with those who drive their Prius', Geos, and other fuel sippers and see the need to give me the finger when driving down the highway. You Sir or Ma'am whoever you may be should rethink your priorities in life. It doesn't matter what a person drives and it really should make no difference to you or your quality of life.

Last edited by JohnMcD348; 05-06-2010 at 09:02 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread