Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2014, 11:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lean Burn Cruiser!

Big Blazin' - '88 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Silverado
SUV
90 day: 14.97 mpg (US)

Chili - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
90 day: 72.29 mpg (US)
Y'all are awesome! The feedback is great and I truly appreciate it

DirtyDave - I dig the Pokemon avatar I'm going to give the flashers+coast a go if any are encountered tomorrow. It's worth a try! Fyi... I usually block people from passing if it would be dangerous for them.

Whatmaycome14 - I've not had any of that happen YET. I remember when I went 60-70 on these same roads and was getting passed...

Balto - What's up, dawg?! Lol. I see your point and I am taking it into consideration. Though I lose 3-4 mpg going from 50ish to 55 Might start speeding up when I see a vehicle approaching. After they're gone --->

Theaveng - Good post regarding the laws! I checked on NC and all I found was that going super slow (15+ below SL) can make you look suspicious to the cops... I'm pretty sure I'll be pulled if I attempt to start a personal parade

Cobb - Lol! I'm happy you have slow people up there... now that I'm hypermiling, I'm that guy

Old Mechanic - Great wisdom and personal experience, sir. It does not help matters that I am young and the culture expects me to not care about FE... "you got a small car, go fast, floor it from red lights! It still saves gas over your K5!" Ugh at the mentality Thank you for the advice

ksa8907 - You're speaking truth. Gotta worry about myself and keep me safe.

XYZ - Right?! And that makes sense... keep on killing my naiveness You'll never grow if you don't ask questions to increase your knowledge.

Thank all of y'all for the encouragement and for the explanations :thumb up: hopefully this thread will not only help me, but other ones that are starting to drive smarter and seeing the madness like me.

New personal style of driving - be in mode when applicable. P & G when it is safe. Increase speed to at least the speed limit when traffic demands. Make them pass you if possible & safe. And engage your mind while behind the wheel!

The Following User Says Thank You to BabyDiesel For This Useful Post:
dirtydave (08-29-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-29-2014, 03:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaveng View Post
(1) On a single lane road CA law requires you pullover if you have 5 or more cars behind you, unless you are doing the speed limit.
As far as I know, the law is the same in Arizona, at least people say it is the case. However, if I am driving fifty-five in a 50 or 55 zone, I do not worry as much about it, especially if I happen to be driving five over! Sometimes, there is not anywhere to pull over, either!

People regularly cross the double-yellow to pass me, of if there is a dotted yellow, you will see one vehicle pass five or ten others, while I always hear the law requires playing leapfrog.

It is strange how people rant and rave about me driving the speed limit. They claim that it is more dangerous to drive slower than faster, and how I am a bad person for not matching traffic.

Which part of traffic?! Everybody drives a different speed!

You also hear about people who have a large vehicle tailgate, so they speed up, again and again, until an unmarked police car pulls you over.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyDiesel View Post
Y'all are awesome! The feedback is great and I truly appreciate it

Balto - What's up, dawg?! Lol. I see your point and I am taking it into consideration. Though I lose 3-4 mpg going from 50ish to 55 Might start speeding up when I see a vehicle approaching. After they're gone --->

Thank all of y'all for the encouragement and for the explanations :thumb up: hopefully this thread will not only help me, but other ones that are starting to drive smarter and seeing the madness like me.

New personal style of driving - be in mode when applicable. P & G when it is safe. Increase speed to at least the speed limit when traffic demands. Make them pass you if possible & safe. And engage your mind while behind the wheel!
Woof Woof. Just also remember this, some people WILL NOT pass you. Even if you provide an opportunity for them to pass. They expect you to obide by THEIR rules at all times. These are the people you will have to cope with in your own way. I have a 4100 lumen flashlight for such people.

The Following User Says Thank You to Baltothewolf For This Useful Post:
deejaaa (08-31-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 07:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Woof Woof. Just also remember this, some people WILL NOT pass you. Even if you provide an opportunity for them to pass. They expect you to obide by THEIR rules at all times. These are the people you will have to cope with in your own way. I have a 4100 lumen flashlight for such people.
I had this happen a couple weeks ago. I had the cruise set at 55 and some lady in her suv, while talking on the phone, was driving quite close but would not pass. So I invented a new game.

Speed up to 60 at the bottom of hills and then let the cruise pick up at 55. I was laughing my ass off watching this lady speed up then slam on the brakes. Did this for 10 min. Her facial expression was priceless when she realized I was laughing at her.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
Not bad for a machine

Maechunbu - Retired - '00 Kia Sephia 1.8I4 16VDOHC
Last 3: 45.28 mpg (US)

Slasher - '96 Chevy Corsica 2.2L 3speedauto
Duct Tape Aero Crew
Team Chevy
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)
Look at what Sven7 was planning on putting on his old car.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dirtydave For This Useful Post:
deejaaa (08-31-2014), freebeard (08-31-2014), whatmaycome14 (08-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 12:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Let them tailgate you. As long as they don't hit you, why worry?

I'd drop the flashlight strategy if I were you. If you were to do that at night and the car following you is an unmarked police car, you'd surely be pulled over.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Woof Woof. Just also remember this, some people WILL NOT pass you. Even if you provide an opportunity for them to pass.
I'm perfectly capable of pulling over on the shoulder and stopping - especially when it's night, and the tailgater is one of those a****s with high and low mounted headlights who've never learned to use the dimmer switch.

Likewise, if I'm driving on a mountain road and someone behind me wants to go faster, I've figured out how to pull over into the turnouts - you know, the ones with the signs saying "slow vehicles must use turnouts" - and let them go by. Amazing how few people ever return the favor when it's me wanting to go faster.

For the rest, if people want to kill themselves by doing something stupid, I look at it as nothing more than a little badly-needed gene pool cleaning :-)
Old 08-29-2014, 05:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post

For the rest, if people want to kill themselves by doing something stupid, I look at it as nothing more than a little badly-needed gene pool cleaning :-)
Darwin Awards
Old 08-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Valerie - '03 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.79 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
Indeed!! This is exactly why I wouldn't worry about what other people are doing... as long as is doesn't hurt or damage my car that is. You gotta protect yourself.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:02 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Speed up in traffic, slow down when the road is clear. It maximizes the time you're not having to deal with other drivers.

If everyone did it, traffic would self-optimize.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
deejaaa (08-31-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread