Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Jone's Car - '93 Honda Accord EX
Talking Hello from Georgia | 93 Honda Accord EX

Hello!

I've actually referenced this site many a time in the past... but only now felt ready to fully do it to it!

Like it says above, I drive a 1993 Honda Accord Ex.

I used to average 25 mpg...but recently it's slipped to 23 despite my best efforts.

My goal is to get city milage up to at least 30. If you guys think it is realistic. Or honestly as high as possible.

I'm open to anything that doesn't even me butchering the car :[ haha.

Also, trying to get a Econ gauge I think it is called. Obviously my car isn't OBD2. So I've been looking at the MPGuino. But I cannot figure out where you get one >.>

I must be missing something here. haha.

Any help is appreciated

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-03-2014, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Welcome.

I think 30 is completely achievable. I don't know about city, that might be asking a lot. Weight loss will help you a lot there.

Start a garage page for your ride.

Do you have the auto or the manual? You'll have an easier time of making improvements with the manny, but nothing is insurmountable. First step: recordkeeping, and establishing the baseline from which you are trying to improve.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Welcome.

I think 30 is completely achievable. I don't know about city, that might be asking a lot. Weight loss will help you a lot there.

Start a garage page for your ride.

Do you have the auto or the manual? You'll have an easier time of making improvements with the manny, but nothing is insurmountable. First step: recordkeeping, and establishing the baseline from which you are trying to improve.
Oh the car hits 31 on the hwy if I literately ride at 55 mph for the entire trip. haha.

Garage page?

And it is the Automatic.

That's why I wanted some kind of gauge to be able to tell in real time.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Look at the top of the page where it says "Garage & Tools." While you're signed in, clicking on Garage will drop down, among other things, an "Add a New Vehicle" option. Click that and you can enter info about your car and start keeping track of its fuel economy. Keeping records is everything in this game; if you don't know how you did, you can't judge how you're doing.

Yeah, you have the bigger engine in your Accord. That hamstrings you a little, but it can do better, I'm sure of it.

With the older ECU, I think your only option will be the MPGuino, and I am completely unfamiliar with it. I got nothing. But look around on this forum, several guys here have one or more and will be able to tell you a lot, I'm sure of that much.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Look at the top of the page where it says "Garage & Tools." While you're signed in, clicking on Garage will drop down, among other things, an "Add a New Vehicle" option. Click that and you can enter info about your car and start keeping track of its fuel economy. Keeping records is everything in this game; if you don't know how you did, you can't judge how you're doing.

Yeah, you have the bigger engine in your Accord. That hamstrings you a little, but it can do better, I'm sure of it.

With the older ECU, I think your only option will be the MPGuino, and I am completely unfamiliar with it. I got nothing. But look around on this forum, several guys here have one or more and will be able to tell you a lot, I'm sure of that much.

Ahhh I found it a little bit ago. Added my information. Thank you.

I'm currently dancing around the thought of new o2's and a new egr. But... it's all so confusing on what does what and when it needs what and so on and so forth haha.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Weight savings, tyre pressures, LRR tyres, there are always some options to improve the mileage, altough I've always considered the Accord quite efficient for its class...
Old 04-25-2014, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

02 Escape - '02 Ford Escape
SUV
90 day: 17.99 mpg (US)

87 Comanche - '87 Jeep MJ
90 day: 24.21 mpg (US)
Welcome!

I owned from 1999 to 2011 a 1993 Accord 10th Anniversary Edition, which was basically a LX with EX interior trim and matching molding on the sides. I drove that thing everywhere, but the best economy I received was on a trip from Dallas to El Paso at 33mpg, but that was doing 70 or so the entire way. I'm sure you could top that easily doing only 55 on aired up tires and an empty trunk.

When I sold that car with 236k on it, I had went through 2 radiators, 1 auto transmission, 1 rack/pinion, 1 balance shaft seal, and changed the timing belt and water pump twice on top of other minor issues. I also hit a coyote in it which resulted in one of the radiator replacements.

If you aren't already aware, the o-rings on the [F22 series engine] distributors leak oil and the #2 spark plug hole collects oil due to thin gasket design on the passage next to it. If your oil pressure switch fails [located above the oil filter on the back of the engine], have fun replacing it. Just a few things to watch out for.

Anyway, I miss that car but enough CSB- enjoy!

Reply  Post New Thread