Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Bruiser - '97 Nissan D21 Reg Cab
90 day: 23.43 mpg (US)

Aspire - '95 Ford Aspire Base
Hello from the new guy

Hello,
I have been browsing these forums for a while now, but am just now joining and posting. I have been using alot of the driving techniques that improve economy for awhile now, even before I found this place. Some started out as parlor tricks in a sense, "I bet you ten bucks I can drive the 3 miles from your house to mine with the engine off." "No way you can do that, I'll take that bet!" I used to own a 1990 Festiva 5-speed, and loved that thing, expecially when I could make fun of Prius' at the gas pumps. "You only get 45MPG?, I'm sorry." Unfortunately it died on me at about 330k on the odometer. Had a neon for a while as well, and could squeeze close to 40 out of it on the highway, without really any effort. Well now due to unavoidable circumstances, I had to get a truck. Essentially I have been knocked down to part time at work and my last day is coming up on me fast, so i sold the Neon, and bought the truck dirt cheap ($1,200) so I could use it to make ends meet doing odd jobs. I did my research and found a truck that is supposed to very fuel efficient, a 1997 Nissan D21 with the 4 cyl engine and 5 speed tranny 2wd, but I still want to cry every time i fill it up.

So I guess where I am going is this... Where would a good place to start with this thing be, I am on a very limited budget and I know the aerodynamics on this thing is like a parachute compared to that Neon, since i cant coast down the hills i used to, so that would probably be a good place to start. I already ripped off the mudflaps and all the other crap that the previous owner had attached to the outside. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, i do all my own work to my cars. Anyone have some good suggestions for me?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVengr View Post
So I guess where I am going is this... Where would a good place to start with this thing be, I am on a very limited budget. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, i do all my own work to my cars. Anyone have some good suggestions for me?
Cheap or free: A tonneau (sp?) is something Frank Lee (on this site) has recommended for pick-ups. It smooths the angle from cab to tail and reduces drag. You might try small straight, slightly angled spoilers from the sides and top of the cab. I want to advance the timing on my Civic. I bet it could work for you too. A WAI has worked well on my 1998, and I bet would work for you. A removable grille block (take it off when you are hauling). Can you get away with a passenger side mirror delete? Remove mud flaps. Make cheap tire spats. Get a tire patch kit and remove the spare if there is one. That might be all the cheapies I can think of. Others?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well I have already done away with the spare and the mud flaps.

The mirrors are a big concern for me. They are like giant parachutes sticking out from the doors. They are about 4 inch by 6 inch flat rectangles, pretty horrible. I use the passenger side mirror a lot though, so I am trying to figure out a replacement rather than full delete, especially since i think if i only took off the passenger side one the truck would turn due to the drag

Also How do you get that MPG thing in your signature? I added my cars to my garage, but cant figure out how to get that there.

Last edited by WVengr; 05-31-2011 at 01:03 PM..
Old 05-31-2011, 02:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

StolenHoopty - '90 Honda Accord EX

HvyDrnkr - '93 Cadillac Seville
You should look up aerohead and see the things that he has done with pickup trucks.

And find a lower numerical ring and pinion for the diff and slow that engine down.

Big n' Boxy, Never met a Hill it Didn't Like
Old 05-31-2011, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Quote:
Also How do you get that MPG thing in your signature? I added my cars to my garage, but cant figure out how to get that there.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ture-2117.html

Welcome to the site.
WVengr (05-31-2011)
Old 05-31-2011, 05:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks Going to start with a WAI and see how that helps, not sure since this thing uses a MAP sensor instead of MAF. Also on the hunt for mirrors with less Cd. Also looking at the aero cap Fubeca posted, would serve double duty on keeping my stuff dry and helping aero at the same time, looks like i need to go dig out those aero books again...
Old 05-31-2011, 06:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Going to start with a WAI and see how that helps, not sure since this thing uses a MAP sensor instead of MAF. Also on the hunt for mirrors with less Cd. Also looking at the aero cap Fubeca posted, would serve double duty on keeping my stuff dry and helping aero at the same time, looks like i need to go dig out those aero books again...
The MAP sensor is the one you want. We both have them.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
recently enlightened...

Welcome !
Old 06-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

welcome to em

Reply  Post New Thread