Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello from Switzerland

Hi everyone!

Just joined the forum as I'm on the look-out for an eco-friendly car. Given my budget I'm currently leaning towards a VW Lupo 3L. Also interested in electric/hybrid, but the used ones are still fairly expensive (e.g. Prius), and I'm not sure how long I'll be using the car.

I'm based in Switzerland near Lausanne, so if anyone in Switzerland or nearby (e.g. France) has particular advice/experience with the VW Lupo 3L (especially on repair/maintenance and garages), much appreciated

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 10-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ecomoddically recovering
 
Pandaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 63

Pandamera - '06 Fiat Panda LPG
90 day: 39.21 mpg (US)
Thanks: 7
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Hi and welcome!

If your final choice is the Lupo then check out Vekke's Lupo for some inspiration. He has taken on the challenge to go from 3L to 2L..

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-2l-18235.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
euromodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 4,683

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Thanks: 178
Thanked 651 Times in 516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritshirt2001 View Post
Just joined the forum as I'm on the look-out for an eco-friendly car. Given my budget I'm currently leaning towards a VW Lupo 3L.
They're rare as hen's teeth ...
Usually with prices to match, which eliminates your profit right away.
Same goes for the Audi A2 3L - but the 1.4 TDi will do almost as good.

If you're on a budget, you might want to take a look at the Skoda Fabia (I) 1.4 TDi.
Bigger car, but it still does under 4L/100km with only moderate driving.
Hypermiling, you'll be looking at 3.5L/100km ... or better.

The newer 1.2L TDi is also good for FE - but will be more expensive.

Quote:
I'm based in Switzerland near Lausanne, so if anyone in Switzerland or nearby (e.g. France) has particular advice/experience with the VW Lupo 3L (especially on repair/maintenance and garages), much appreciated
Make sure the auto transmission is absolutely OK when you get a Lupo 3L - they're notorious for tranny troubles.

As with any TDi : belts need to be done on time.
If in doubt wether it has or has not been done : have it done anew.
Full VW service history is highly recommended.

Test-drive it until it's fully warmed up, shut off radio / AC / heating etc ... see it it kills the engine at standstill in N.
__________________
Strayed to the Dark Diesel Side

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandaf View Post
Hi and welcome!

If your final choice is the Lupo then check out Vekke's Lupo for some inspiration. He has taken on the challenge to go from 3L to 2L..
Wow, that's quite an inspirational project!

If you speak Dutch: groeten uit Zwitserland : )
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
They're rare as hen's teeth ...
Usually with prices to match, which eliminates your profit right away.
Same goes for the Audi A2 3L - but the 1.4 TDi will do almost as good.

If you're on a budget, you might want to take a look at the Skoda Fabia (I) 1.4 TDi.
Bigger car, but it still does under 4L/100km with only moderate driving.
Hypermiling, you'll be looking at 3.5L/100km ... or better.

The newer 1.2L TDi is also good for FE - but will be more expensive.


Make sure the auto transmission is absolutely OK when you get a Lupo 3L - they're notorious for tranny troubles.

As with any TDi : belts need to be done on time.
If in doubt wether it has or has not been done : have it done anew.
Full VW service history is highly recommended.

Test-drive it until it's fully warmed up, shut off radio / AC / heating etc ... see it it kills the engine at standstill in N.
Thanks for the the Skoda recommendation! I had a look here in Switzerland for the 1.4 TDi, but it seems quite rare (much more 1.9 TD's available).

There are a few 3L's on the market here, but indeed I have been warned about the costs of repair. I hope to go for a test drive this weekend from a private seller.

And thanks a lot for the other suggestions - will keep these in mind when trying out the car
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ecomoddically recovering
 
Pandaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 63

Pandamera - '06 Fiat Panda LPG
90 day: 39.21 mpg (US)
Thanks: 7
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Keep us posted for any results! My brother is currently also looking for a 3L, and he is not the only one, here there are even garages specialised in the 3L and A2. They are importing them from Germany and they sell as quick as sweet candy... If I had one I wouldn't sell it though. .
Bonne chance!

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com