Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2016, 03:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Why reinvent the wheel?

A well chosen family car pulling an Airstream (or one of the older competitors as I do) can use less fuel with better space efficiency. And it can be ready to travel shortly after purchase. One of these is not "old" up to about 25-years. And at that point just needs refurbishment.

I use a one ton Dodge. Pulling my 35' trailer is 15-mpg at 58/mph in the South Cental US. Solo, not below 24-mpg same conditions, empty or loaded, rain or traffic.

The TD SUVs from Europe can do close enough to 30 while towing. The small cars with a small AS over that.

The aero qualities of the trailer preclude the need for a truck (with very few exceptions).

Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Owners Community is a wealth of info.

The link in my signature shows an earlier trailer sold.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-03-2016, 09:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the suggestions. One of my primary goals is to design the back more like a building would look, less like a vehicle. The roof line (including the part over the cab) is a uniform arc. If I altered the part over the cab, it would sacrifice the uniformity and, when set up, would look rather odd (I think). There may be a way to do it and you have sparked the idea. I also like your idea of having the top seal like a pop-up camper. I have considered the sealing issue and it is a major problem. I remember a hard sided pop-up that my parents had when I was young. It might be an option and would solve several problems (including the weight of the massive hinged roof).

If you look at the back you see the windows in the doors and windows on either side. The primary bed (and a dining/sofa area) would be at the back. The bed would actually block the door in back (that is why I have the second door). I want the bed there because I want the views. It isn't ideal for several reasons, but then this camper is just 11 feet long inside so there are no ideal solutions. The slide out/tip out option might give me a better solution - if not for the primary bed then at least a better choice for bed #2.

The rounded roof edge would be much better aerodynamically but much worse aesthetically...I think. It is a very difficult choice. Is it a vehicle that becomes a house, or a house that moves? Where to a draw the lines of priority? For me it is first a home. I live in it for so many months that it has to be comfortable.

I have modified the design to drop a bit lower. This reduces the frontal area and the drag.
This is probably the most it can be reduced in any dimension. Other than this it will just be mods in things like the way it folds down on the sides.

Thanks for the advice. It has helped.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Why reinvent the wheel?
ecomodder is all about reinventing the wheel. We aren't satisfied with simply purchasing the newest, most fuel efficient vehicle. We mod.

I built a teardrop trailer and it worked so well I want to step it up to the next level. Yep, I want to reinvent the wheel.

As far as an airstream goes they are beautiful beasts and have their appeal. But they are designed for the masses. Their layouts do not appeal. Perhaps a remodel would be better, but it would never be mine.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Purple People Mover - '97 Toyota Corolla CE
90 day: 37.25 mpg (US)
Yeah, you've got a lot of people telling you that this will not work out like you expect it to. It seems like it would be a lot of work for what might be minimal gain, if the others' advice is to be taken.

That being said, it looks very nice, and I'm sure if you pulled it off, people would think it's pretty damn cool, regardless of what they are saying now.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
The back porch is awesome. If I were going to do anything like this I would also go with an all outside kitchen. Slide out like those Australian Bush campers, under an awning. I hardly want to cook inside my big camper, I can't imagine doing it in something this small. I'm a fire and flesh type of guy. My buddy says I cook better on a campfire then he does in his gourmet kitchen at home.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
Poodwaddle (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 11:22 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

VanDelay - '89 Ford Econoline E-150 XL
90 day: 15.93 mpg (US)

Old White Civic - '98 Honda Civic LX, AT
90 day: 33.18 mpg (US)
As a Ford van owner and guy who travels and camps a lot, I think you're denying your family one of the largest benefits of a vehicle of this type and that's the ability to move about whilst underway. With your roof lowered you'll be reducing what should be a home on wheels to a passenger vehicle and be forfeiting the majority of your available space to see a minimal benefit in mileage. Think smiles per gallon. That being said, all is not lost with regard to fuel efficiency; see the threads about camper and motorhome aerodynamics. Just build a simpler, more reliable, (fewer leak points, etc) lighter, fixed body that's pretty aerodynamic and give it a tapered tail, wheel spats, fender skirts, a flat belly, etc. The whole movable roof thing is neat but it overrides the recreation portion of recreational vehicle. If you've never traveled in a motorhome you probably don't fully appreciate your passengers being able to use the restroom or change seats or get a drink from the fridge while you keep moving down the road. Believe me, traveling with a family will be MUCH better if they can use your entire rig all the time vs just when parked and the roof is raised. I've traveled pretty extensively with my family both young and old. First it was with 5th wheel travel trailers towed by extended cab pickups. Then crew cab pickups. Then bumper-pull campers towed by large SUVs. Then a camper towed by a fullsize van. Those were all reasonably comfortable modes of travel but the more interior space, the better. The van was winning until we tried a motorhome. Whole different ballgame with regard to comfort and willingness to travel.
The Following User Says Thank You to mwilliamshs For This Useful Post:
Poodwaddle (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 12:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

What everyone has said so far +1.

And. Have you considered towing a small car to do your exploring with? Use the motorhome as a base camp. Not having to drive the motorhome into town just to get milk, or for a day trip into the next town, will save gas. You do have to buy a small car though.

How about a skoolie? Could take the back half and give it a good boattail. Not sure what mileage you could achieve. Pretty big, but can be cheap to get into.

And speaking of boattailed skoolies and outdoor kitchens:

Only the fridge is inside. Pantry, sink, stove, and BBQ are all outside. And yes, needs more boattailing.

Big Woodie bus

Last edited by ennored; 08-03-2016 at 12:49 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to ennored For This Useful Post:
Poodwaddle (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 01:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Both big school busses, and short busses, along with lots of cargo vans and things like ambulances can be found for good prices at publicsurplus.com
I like this better then the GSA auction page, that stuff seems to go for full retail.
We bought a nice 3 year old highway patrol car off publicsurplus. I saw a running, driving 5.9 cummins bus go for under $1000 in my town. The motor and it's Allison transmission was worth 3x that and the bus would scrap for $500.
Here is an example, this will go cheap because it needs a rebuild but the dual rear wheels are better against rollovers then single, a wheelchair lift can be sold for what the bid is at.
http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auc...ew?auc=1660563

Last edited by Hersbird; 08-03-2016 at 01:45 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
Poodwaddle (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 07:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
If I were going to do anything like this I would also go with an all outside kitchen.
Thanks for that idea. I will see if it works in this design. The kitchen, like you say, is micro inside and would be a pain to live with for everyday cooking. I think that just might be a great way of expanding the space.

Nobody has really answered my initial question though. I am curious how much the drop top will improve mileage over a solid upright build. I am guessing 3-5MPG but I would love more experienced opinions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Poodwaddle For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-20-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 07:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliamshs View Post
As a Ford van owner and guy who travels and camps a lot, I think you're denying your family one of the largest benefits of a vehicle of this type and that's the ability to move about whilst underway.
You might have a good point. If I choose the solid structure design then I will probably chop off the back porch (save a MPG there) and have the back slope down with a small window in back. The loss would be sad aesthetically, but the build would be much simpler and quite an eye catcher going down the road.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
e350, ford e250, gypsy teardrop rv