Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Losing the MISinformation

Quad Cam - '00 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX
Last 3: 25.94 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
...those two thing could/should be coordinated? If I want to P&G my A/C, then is it better to turn it on while while the car is already under power during a pulse, or when I'm coasting in neutral? I turn off the A/C when I really need power, like uphill or passing a truck, and turn it on when engine braking. But during P&G in normal conditions when is it better to put an extra load on the engine?
If I am in traffic, and can't really P&G, I turn my A/C off going uphill, and work hard to keep my torque converter locked in. I turn it on as needed going downhill, especially if the hill is too steep and I need the extra braking.

When there isn't a lot of traffic I run the A/C during a neutral coast, but I may have to try using it during the Pulse. Sometimes it's real easy to assume one way works better...

The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal...
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-21-2009, 04:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
I figured that the added load of A/C would be minimal at higher throttle inputs, since the engine runs more efficiently there than at idle. The vacuum gauge drops noticeably (1.5 in. hg.) with the A/C running at idle, and somewhat less while cruising at 60, but while accelerating, it doesn't make a noticeable change at all.

Reply  Post New Thread