Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ulven - '02 VW Lupo 3L
90 day: 76.16 mpg (US)
We'll I spend the day getting replacement for all light on the car to led bulbs.

I also searched the net for a prober hid kit and went for one.

That should help nicely on the power consumption of the car

When it gets closer to summer I will install some LED driving lights so I can turn off the head lights.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Did the car come stock with hid?

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Old 12-28-2013, 02:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ulven - '02 VW Lupo 3L
90 day: 76.16 mpg (US)
Hi mcrews

No it did not. It's only the lupo gti that comes with HIDs

As I says earlier in the thread

Quote:
I could do something about the headlight They use about 130w I think ( they are 110w total) and xenon headlight is about 70w total if I'm not mistaken. The only problem is the headlight have to come I off a used lupo gti that is rare and if I install them I have to make headlight washers and mount a gyro on the rear wheel bridge that will outo level the light for it to be street legal. And the total cost in materials is close to 1700 $ for used headlight

If you wanna install after market xenon you need to make sure the headlight case is xenon E approved and you still need the headlight washers and auto level sensor
It will be a 180$ fine if you get stopped by the Danish police
I got a 4300k HID kit from the retrofit source and it seemed like really high quality.
And before installing the kit I will polish the headlight with a 3m polish kit so the headlight glass should be as new.
The car has been lowered and I will set the Manuel headlight level that should help with oncoming traffic.
And I will thoroughly test the lights before hitting the road.
I have no intentions of having a product on my car that blinds ongoing traffic so if that's the case I will simply take it off again.

David walbum
Old 12-29-2013, 12:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Dave,
here is a thread I posted on another forum a yr ago:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...est-27855.html

By pointing hids down to reduce blinding other drivers, you cast the light too short and have too much light up close.. while that might look nice, too much light up close ruins you night vision. Add to that, the fact that the hid bulb is generating INCORRECT lightinng in the first place....
Of all the possible 'ecomods' this is the worse.
1. bad, ineffective lighting
2. blinds other drives
3. is illegal

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Old 12-29-2013, 06:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
There is no substitute for common sense.
When you want to replace your halogen headlights with HIDs you should first look at the way the light gets spread outside the intended area (stray light). That's what is blinding other drivers even when the beams are set correctly.

My car has projector lenses. The halogens produced hardly any stray light at all, to the extent that other road users failed to notice my presence. I think Honda just put projectors in that are fit for Xenon and did not matter about the low stray when they are fitted with ordinary halogens.

Before I put my HIDs in I compared the filament length to the xenon chamber of the HIDs. Both were placed at exactly the same position, and the distance between the electrodes was just over half the length of the halogen filament, so it corresponds where the filament glows the brightest.

Even with the HIDs the stray light is marginal. In a year of driving I only had oncoming drivers flash their lights at me once - I happened to have switched the high beams on erroneously when taking a corner.

So, when your light housings are not fit for HIDs, when the stray light is not submarginal or when the HID chambers don't match up with the filaments do not change the halogens for HIDs.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (12-29-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #16 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
There is no substitute for common sense.
When you want to replace your halogen headlights with HIDs you should first look at the way the light gets spread outside the intended area (stray light). That's what is blinding other drivers even when the beams are set correctly.

My car has projector lenses. The halogens produced hardly any stray light at all, to the extent that other road users failed to notice my presence. I think Honda just put projectors in that are fit for Xenon and did not matter about the low stray when they are fitted with ordinary halogens.

Before I put my HIDs in I compared the filament length to the xenon chamber of the HIDs. Both were placed at exactly the same position, and the distance between the electrodes was just over half the length of the halogen filament, so it corresponds where the filament glows the brightest.

Even with the HIDs the stray light is marginal. In a year of driving I only had oncoming drivers flash their lights at me once - I happened to have switched the high beams on erroneously when taking a corner.

So, when your light housings are not fit for HIDs, when the stray light is not submarginal or when the HID chambers don't match up with the filaments do not change the halogens for HIDs.
I agree entirely with this, and thanks for saying it better than I could. I get some stray light from my HID fitted instock honda fixtures. But in two years I have bad almost nobody flash at me and I see fine in the dark. The beam is not as wellregulated as the stock halogen bulb, but neither is it a menace to personal or public comfort and safety. Always monitor your own conditions cafefully and adapt... common sense.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (12-29-2013)
Reply  Post New Thread