Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2009, 10:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
Cycling more to drive les

White 'rolla - '05 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 44.39 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Chalupa102
I guess a lot of things depend on why people hypermile; to save money at the pump, for the environment, both, or other reasons. I did a quick search but i couldn't find anything saying why people here hypermile. It would be kinda interesting to see.

I can't speak for anyone else, but i do it mainly for the environment. I typically don't really pay attention to gas prices. Heck, my favorite gas station is Shell, which tends to be more expensive than others. What i really care about is my f/e and how much i gas i actually saved. It is nice, though to know that i'm paying less than a lot of other vehicles on the road. I also try to save water and conserve electricity, and i don't even pay the bill at my house.

Corolla aeromods thread:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ead-11210.html
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-15-2009, 11:43 PM   #22 (permalink)
AeroGuy

Outback 14 - '14 Subaru Outback Limited
90 day: 23.1 mpg (US)
What is really funny is these arguments go on within a site dedicated to people getting good gas mileage.

No one thing or person is perfect. You have to be wasteful somewhere, even if it ends up being your time. So I don't see how people can make such definite judgments of other people.

And arguments cannot be so simple. Speed kills is not something that can be proven by itself. Just like going slower will always yield better gas mileage. There are checks and balances to all of it.

When it comes to speed limits, research & just plain common sense shows that highways are much safer places to drive than surface streets. They carry much more traffic with a lot less mortalities per vehicle than anywhere else. Higher speed limits lead to more people on the highway, artificially low speed limits on interstates lead to a lot more people going faster on surface streets like 2 lane highways = many many more deaths at intersections, blind crests, hills, etc. So, in this particular instance, I say go with what is overall safer: higher speed limits on highways.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:01 AM   #23 (permalink)
one of thOOOse people

twitchy - '98 honda civic dx + sir + ls
90 day: 30.2 mpg (US)

Norman - '14 Ford E-350 EXT
90 day: 16.18 mpg (US)

Silver - '12 VW Golf Base
90 day: 26.1 mpg (US)

Sparta - '19 Honda CB300R
90 day: 84.07 mpg (US)
What is a speed limit?

What is a speed limit?

It seems to be much like a lot of laws. Something to charge you with when the authorities see you do something they don't like.

I don't think the police/politicians really care what speed is traveled. If they did they would travel at that speed themselves.

Who, for that matter really cares what arbitrary limit is set for speed? Don't we all do some kind of math when we see a limit sign? Or drive with traffic or what feels right.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #24 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
The 55 mph speed limit was introduced to help save energy and resources. Most cars will lose efficiency before that point, look at some graphs already
Speed kills: testing MPH vs. MPG in top gear - MetroMPG.com

Now I don't think the herd really cares about safety all that much, they wouldn't get anywhere near a vehicle or do a lot of other stupid everyday things if it were really true. But real studies over many years and in many countries validate the physics that faster is less safe. Again, not being a nanny, just pointing out the flaws in this little experiment. If something sounds too good to be true (i.e. faster = safer and/or more efficient) then it probably isnt.

Q&As: Speed and speed limits
Quote:

Institute studies showed that deaths on rural interstates increased 25-30 percent when states began increasing speed limits from 55 to 65 mph in 1987. In 1989, about two-thirds of this increase — 19 percent, or 400 deaths — was attributed to increased speed, the rest to increased travel.13,14,15

A 1999 Institute study of the effects of the 1995 repeal of the national maximum speed limit indicated this trend had continued. Researchers compared the numbers of motor vehicle occupant deaths in 24 states that raised speed limits during late 1995 and 1996 with corresponding fatality counts in the 6 years before the speed limits were changed, as well as fatality counts from 7 states that did not change speed limits. The Institute estimated a 15 percent increase in fatalities on interstates and freeways.16

Researchers at the Land Transport Safety Authority of New Zealand also evaluated the effects of increasing state speed limits from 65 mph to either 70 or 75 mph. Based on deaths in states that did not change their speed limits, states that increased speed limits to 75 mph experienced 38 percent more deaths per million vehicle miles traveled than expected — an estimated 780 more deaths. States that increased speed limits to 70 mph experienced a 35 percent increase, resulting in approximately 1,100 more deaths.17
As for freedom, last I heard driving was a privileged (sorry, U.S.A. assumed here).

Last edited by dcb; 11-16-2009 at 07:29 PM..
Old 11-19-2009, 05:14 AM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
The 55 mph speed limit was introduced to help save energy and resources. Most cars will lose efficiency before that point, look at some graphs already
Speed kills: testing MPH vs. MPG in top gear - MetroMPG.com
If you read the speed limit sign properly, it says (ex). 70 Max speed limit or whatever. It doesn't mean you have to drive 70, so by all means, keep on doing your 55 and wave and smile when they race by you honking their horns.

I look at speed as the way I look at guns!
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Speed doesn't kill people, it's the person behind the wheel who makes the judgement if they are capable of driving at that speed. That's where the problem is.
Some just can't drive!!
Old 11-19-2009, 07:22 AM   #26 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
If you read the speed limit sign properly, it says (ex). 70 Max speed limit or whatever. It doesn't mean you have to drive 70, so by all means, keep on doing your 55 and wave and smile when they race by you honking their horns.

I look at speed as the way I look at guns!
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Speed doesn't kill people, it's the person behind the wheel who makes the judgement if they are capable of driving at that speed. That's where the problem is.
Some just can't drive!!

X2
Old 11-19-2009, 07:24 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
There is always one study out there that will prove a point, but that is completely irrelevant, it's the concensus among studies that counts. You can always deny that speed kills, but you're still wrong.

Just wait and see. The total number of crashes will go up marginally, not much, but the % increase of fatal crashes where the cause is determined to be the loss of control will be higher than the total crashes increase.

The increase is only 5 mph. It should be noted that the average traffic speed will increase by less than 5mph, probably around 3 mph. The same relation has been observed when speed limits are reduced.

This is what a hundred studies have proven.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Reply  Post New Thread