Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2015, 01:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainoil View Post
Just like the current ones look at us as "tree hungers" "granola eaters" "tofu eaters" "vegetarians" etc etc. To the masses that's how we are viewed.
Actually most don't. The majority of the population is very interested in efficiency of resource use - water, electricity, cooling, warming, fuel - because it costs money. And also everyone wants to boast how they are saving money so everyone is an "engineer".

The "tofo knitting, yurt dwelling..." accusation comes along when the efficiency issue is wrapped up with something else such as CAGW or anti fracking or something else which maybe others take a different view of.
At that point any really useful message that might have been sent is lost in a debate about something else, which in itself is a waste of time.

I find it amazing that all those "communicators" and "evangalists" out there don't get this.

I suspect it may happen here, again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakbadger View Post
...It's one of the biggest reason my wife and I don't even want to consider having kids.
Not everyone has thought this way in the past. You wouldn't know though from what is tapped nowadays, even on this very thread.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-21-2015, 02:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
The 4 sons of my parents, produced a total of 3 sons. Myself (#2) and #3 have no children. Personally, 50 years ago, I did not think the human race would make it to my 100th birthday in 2050.

regards
mech
Old 06-21-2015, 08:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
I can just imagine a not so distant future, in which kids will wonder how that people had no moral guilt over letting their vehicles pump out poison gas while sitting still.
But, all to often it's the opposite, and I wouldn't doubt if gas guzzlers become collector cars because of their rarity, and gasoline vehicles become something desirable over an electric.
Grandchildren? Why not ask them.

Three or four generations out, though, privately owned/operated vehicles will be lumped in with horses and ox-carts. Assuming the petroleum industry hasn't crashed the whole of human society.

Those gas-guzzlers will have to be retuned to run on Vodka.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Aren't you a cheery bunch? Well, I guess that I will look for happiness on Reddit. On second thought, I had better not!
Old 06-22-2015, 03:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I don't think anyone will remember the whos and whats.

Best case scenario, fusion happens. Massive biofuel reclamation of waste happens. We have smart microbes scrubbing carbon from the atmosphere to build solar arrays, while others eat our plastic and turn it into something else.

Ecomodders will be viewed as nothing more than a blip. A curiosity caused by dino-oil.

Worst case scenario, oil crash. Nothing to replace it but industrially farmed biofuels and wholesale forest clearing to power ships and lights. Ecomodders don't exist. No one can afford to drive, anymore. We'll all be sitting at home complaining about the high prices of goods over what's left of the internet.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Can't speak for Generation Future but I don't think much of the so-called "Greatest Generation"; as a group, a bunch of exploiters who's main hobby was reproducing.
Well, reproducing and firebombing anyone who didn't call them the "Greatest Generation." Really, they just had a chip on their shoulder from growing up in the depression... And a lot more steel to exploit than some other members of their age cohort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (06-22-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 12:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Spaced out...

The New Focus - '07 Ford Focus ZX5
90 day: 32.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
Humans in the near future will probably think it wasteful to let engines idle at stoplights, but not because of the pollution--it will be an economic decision.
Many new cars shut themselves off at idle and the owners don't even know it. A 30second discussion of the feature is out of their mind by the end of the 30 seconds and they sit at a light fat, dumb and happy having no idea where the engine it or that is has wonderful features that are saving the owner drops of fuel the entire time they are sitting at red lights.

2007 Ford Focus ZX5 - 91k - SGII, pending upper and lower grill bocks - auto trans
1987 Monte Carlo SS - 5.3/4L80E swap - 13.67 @ 106
2007 Ford Focus Estate - 230k - 33mpg - Retired 4/2018
1995 Saturn SL2 - 256K miles - 44mpg - Retired 9/2014

Cost to Operate Spreadsheet for "The New Focus"

Old 06-22-2015, 03:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist
Aren't you a cheery bunch? Well, I guess that I will look for happiness on Reddit. On second thought, I had better not!
May I ask why [not]?

Quote:
Don't think of reddit as one giant community. This site is made up of "sub"reddits, which are all their own communities. Every single post you see on this site belongs to its own community, with its own set of users, and with its own set of rules. reddit provides you an easy-to-use interface for managing what posts you see by letting you subscribe or unsubscribe from certain subreddits.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Futurology/comments/2by6wr/reddit_101/

Try /r/Futurology or /r/technology

niky -- Best case scenario: Terra Preta and geodesic domes. Solar energy cheaper than fossil fuels. Social anarchism as the predominate political system. Bitcoin.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:53 PM   #19 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,797 Times in 937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
niky -- Best case scenario: Terra Preta and geodesic domes. Solar energy cheaper than fossil fuels. Social anarchism as the predominate political system. Bitcoin.
And here's a worst-case scenario to chew on. Food for thought (Ha ha! Heh...oh, I kill me).
Old 06-22-2015, 07:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Market forces should force us to give up or curtail beef consumption by then. Food is already an issue, simply because people can't afford to either buy it or grow it in certain areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I could go for solar-powered hippie communes -sash- mini-arcologies, separated by vast tracts of natural land, connected by wireless communication. Travellers moving between them in lightweight methane-electric buggies.

Bitcoin, or something similar, is probably the way to go for secure electronic currency, but it's a tremendous waste of computing resources (for now). Eventually, there will be a more efficient way to generate virtual currency, but then again, we spend untold millions of dollars in electricity and hardware to watch cat videos online, so it's all relative.

Reply  Post New Thread