Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Oh and fuel economy of course. XD

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Also i bought this truck with a three inch body lift kit on it but id rather not try and de modify it. It may be more work than what is necessary to deal with. Plus i get the added benefit of accessing things i can work on that you couldn't normally get to like the top of the fuel pump and the top bolts of the transmission bell housing. It makes working on certain thing underneath the truck that much easier. : 3

Last edited by Whitetail Ranger; 06-10-2014 at 02:06 PM..
Old 06-10-2014, 03:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
Sounds like you would would do well with a Belly pan ( who wouldn't ) and or a somewhat lower front spoiler to help keep some of the obtrusive under body components out of the wind.

3 is my guess , I would go on a Ranger website and see what others are finding and what tuners are Good / safe for them.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well like i said i do have two are damns installed..Now i just need to post the pics of them to give everyone an idea what they look like. Just as an opinion..Do you think 40psi is too high for the front tires..I already know the ride quality it has and when the air expands when its hot the tires show from the dirt on them that you can actualy see how much the contact the tire has on the road as the edges are clean and not touching...This is when they are set to 40 psi cold and then driven on. They go up to like 46 or 47 psi hot.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
I used high psi in My ranger and it improved the rolling resistance dramatically , I had 31" tires on it , but never noticed what you described , What psi are the tires rated for ? I think its better to sacrifice some tire longevity and have increased mpg then lower psi and lower mpg and somewhat longer tire life.

My Beetle is wearing its tires even @ 50 psi

Old 06-10-2014, 04:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Im running Good Year Wrangler Authority which i do believe are 31s. Stock would have been 28.They are rated at the max sidewall psi of 50. They are a LT (Light Truck Tire) All Terrain type. And id say they have a decently stiff sidewall to begin with. I had a leak on one of the old tires it used to have on it of the same size called Wildcats All Terrain. The one leaked so bad from a huge roofing nail i went to 0psi over night and the sidewall of the tire still held it up considerably. You could only tell by a little bit that it seemed low. lol So i'm thinking the tires i have on now have an equally stiff sidewall. But its probably besides the point. Yes the sidewall of the tire say 50 psi max. I also don't want to reduce my braking distance too much neither.

Last edited by Whitetail Ranger; 06-10-2014 at 04:58 PM..
Old 06-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

By the way yea i agree the rolling resistance is reduced dramatically with high psi. Just 5 pounds difference is huge. Ive tried running them at factory psi specs with these tires that are on now and trust me...Bllllahhh.. The truck runs like a slug up shifting and downshifting in and out of torque converter lockup and the engine pinging at low rpm and extreme high load and FE drops like crazy. Ive owned this truck since 2011 now and know what it likes and what it doesn't like so factory psi for these tires are out. They have too much rolling resistance for that. But i do know running them high along side of taking the air silencer out of my air box made my truck feel like it had like 30 lbs more torque. : 3 Less energy wasted.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Matchbox - '93 Ford Festiva L
Team Ford
Last 3: 70.16 mpg (US)

Salamander - '99 Chrysler Concorde LXI
Team Dodge
90 day: 30.3 mpg (US)

Urquhart - '97 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 3.4L DLX
Pickups
90 day: 25.81 mpg (US)

Smudge - '98 Toyota Tacoma
90 day: 40.65 mpg (US)

Calebro - '15 Renault Trafic 1.25 dci
90 day: 39.39 mpg (US)
try running max sidewall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail Ranger View Post
By the way yea i agree the rolling resistance is reduced dramatically with high psi. Just 5 pounds difference is huge. Ive tried running them at factory psi specs with these tires that are on now and trust me...Bllllahhh.. The truck runs like a slug up shifting and downshifting in and out of torque converter lockup and the engine pinging at low rpm and extreme high load and FE drops like crazy. Ive owned this truck since 2011 now and know what it likes and what it doesn't like so factory psi for these tires are out. They have too much rolling resistance for that. But i do know running them high along side of taking the air silencer out of my air box made my truck feel like it had like 30 lbs more torque. : 3 Less energy wasted.
Once you try it, I doubt you will go back
Old 06-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Lol I know right? even as it is now id hate to go backwards...I am progressing with the truck making it more efficient. A few aero mods may be next but nothing extreme or illegal. I thought of a belly pan but there's a lot of stuff that id have to work around and it wouldn't be easy. I used to drive my old 89 Ford Ranger with stock tires and i never knew any better when i was young about tire pressure so id pump them up to the max sidewall pressure which was 44 psi. Not only did they wear out the center tread really fast on my Timberline tires but i think it was the cause of my worn out ball joint on the passenger side. The thing got great gas mileage though and rolled like crazy. But not good running 44 psi on 215/75/r15 tires.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

My air dam mod

If you look underneath my bumper you will see the valance that i put on from a 91 chevy s10 in addition to some garden edging underneath it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3447 !!!.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	15175  
Reply  Post New Thread