Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2014, 02:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

SilverCrown - '01 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 35.32 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital rules View Post
If the speed bumps are properly engineered, you should be able to maintain the posted speed limit w/o the need for constant braking. Unfortunately this doesn't always hold true, so YMMV. Can't really pulse & glide with those nasty speed bumps around

Most drivers around here race up to speed bumps & then over brake to compensate. (this is when the skilled hypermiler catches back up with them & gets pissed cause it screws up their better thought out strategy) I still don't understand the mentality of most drivers who just drive soley with emotion & zero common sense.
I try use just enough momentum to keep me going from one bump to the next.
I usually just idle through stop signs.

My car is an automatic so I know that EOC is not good for it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-22-2014, 04:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
I accelerate up to 17-18mph instead of the 25mph limit, coast engine on and then DFCO where most people would start to brake and then I slam on the brake relatively hard near the actual sign. This bothers some people but hey, 48% less energy wasted than doing 25 and stopping, and braking hard instead of slowly means my average speed is still the same.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
One of my friends knows a rally driver who does occasionally race on road stretches that have speed bumps.
A short tap on the brake makes the nose dive a bit, then jump up slightly.
By timing the tap right you can hit the bump while the nose rebounds, that makes a big difference.
Of course if you time it wrong you'd do worse.

By using the brake tap rally drivers hardly lose any speed on the bumps while their suspension is much stiffer than what normal road car use. Without this trick they would jump or damage the suspension.

I have to negotiate several speed bumps in my neighborhood every time I go out.
It works... but the speed limit is set so low and the bumps are relatively car friendly so I don't really need to use this trick.

I don't encourage speeding, just help conquer speed bumps that would otherwise force you to go slower than what is legal and safe for the conditions.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 08-22-2014 at 05:22 AM..
Old 08-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCrown9701 View Post
This neighborhood has rolling "hills" through the entire area.

There are 2 stop lights at each end of it so there's no getting around that. It also has 4 stop signs and 6 speed bumps.

THEN there's a gated community within that neighborhood that I have to drive into to get to my destination. There are 3 speed bumps and 3 stop signs with a speed limit of 20 MPH but this community is relatively flat.
Sometimes, as with what you described, there is nothing that can be done. Sometimes you simply can't come out ahead, no matter what you do. Some neighborhoods literally have a stop sign on every corner. The people who live there and lobbied for it thought it would make their neighborhood "safer". (Usually this is the result of mommies who think their spoiled children have a right to play in the street.) It sure does slow things down. But forcing cars to constantly stop for stop signs or slow for speed bumps does not mean it is conducive to saving fuel. The agenda of enforced slowness is often not in synch with your goals (actually, ours).

When is the last time anyone has ever seen a stop sign or speed bump removed after it had been installed? Ain't gonna happen. It's the "more is better" mentality. It's busywork for local politicians.

Here is an interesting, unintended consequence of having too many stop signs within a limited distance: When there is a stop sign on virtually every corner, people tend to ignore them. That leads to more dangerous circumstances (read: car crashes) than if there were few or no stop signs.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
I'm reading through this. I go through similar neighborhoods sometimes, minus the speed bumps. I can usually still equal the (old) EPA highway through them but I'd love to be better. Automatic sucks in these situations.

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17
Old 08-23-2014, 01:31 AM   #16 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
(Usually this is the result of mommies who think their spoiled children have a right to play in the street.)
They're too lazy for parenting, and seem too dumb to figure it out that they should teach their kids how to walk safely in the street, and looking for the cars before they cross the street running like a raped ape, instead of trying to wrap a bubble of false safety around their little savages
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (08-23-2014), rmay635703 (08-26-2014)
Old 08-23-2014, 02:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

SilverCrown - '01 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 35.32 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
Sometimes, as with what you described, there is nothing that can be done. Sometimes you simply can't come out ahead, no matter what you do. Some neighborhoods literally have a stop sign on every corner. The people who live there and lobbied for it thought it would make their neighborhood "safer". (Usually this is the result of mommies who think their spoiled children have a right to play in the street.) It sure does slow things down. But forcing cars to constantly stop for stop signs or slow for speed bumps does not mean it is conducive to saving fuel. The agenda of enforced slowness is often not in synch with your goals (actually, ours).

When is the last time anyone has ever seen a stop sign or speed bump removed after it had been installed? Ain't gonna happen. It's the "more is better" mentality. It's busywork for local politicians.

Here is an interesting, unintended consequence of having too many stop signs within a limited distance: When there is a stop sign on virtually every corner, people tend to ignore them. That leads to more dangerous circumstances (read: car crashes) than if there were few or no stop signs.
You are exactly right! The people around here drive as if they are the most wonderful thing since sliced bread (NOT!)

Forgive me if this sounds needy but I would love if anyone could give me a complete hypermiling list for automatic vehicles

It would be very appreciated! I'm 24 and still new to this. I've been reading every article and watching every video online regarding this topic. I now hypermiling on my mind 24/7 lol I guess you can say I'm addicted

Old 08-23-2014, 07:59 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

[QUOTE=XYZ;441772]When is the last time anyone has ever seen a stop sign or speed bump removed after it had been installed? Ain't gonna happen. It's the "more is better" mentality. It's busywork for local politicians.
QUOTE]

I'm sure no one has ever done this, but pouring gasoline on a speed bump softens the asphalt and the bump goes down as the cars drive over it. This is just a rumor I've heard.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #19 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCrown9701 View Post
You are exactly right! The people around here drive as if they are the most wonderful thing since sliced bread (NOT!)

Forgive me if this sounds needy but I would love if anyone could give me a complete hypermiling list for automatic vehicles
I'm not sure of what you mean by a list. The only strategy that I know of that works at all is this: basically you estimate how much to accelerate to be able to coast to the next stop sign by shifting into neutral. You don't even need a scangauge or a tachometer to do it. Typically on a level road accelerating to about 25 MPH provides adequate momentum before shifting into neutral and coasting.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:38 AM   #20 (permalink)
Wanting more for less

Metric - '94 Honda Magna 250
Motorcycle
90 day: 69.83 mpg (US)

RedCelica - '94 Toyota Celica ZR
90 day: 35.97 mpg (US)

i30 - '12 Hyundai i30 Elite
90 day: 39.84 mpg (US)

i30-22 - '12 Hyundai i30 Elite
90 day: 39.22 mpg (US)
My local council added a raised pedestrian crossing near home. Think of it like a really savage speed hump that's 3 metres front to back.
It's halfway through what was a good coasting opportunity.

I can't change it, I just have to live with it.

I EOC up to it, clutch start on the crossing, then accelerate in 3rd off the other side for a few seconds and EOC again.

Reply  Post New Thread