Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 10:51 AM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chug - '96 Volkswagon Polo CL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.42 mpg (US)

L'Autre - '03 Renault Megane Sport Tourer Expression
Diesel
90 day: 45.02 mpg (US)
don't know about the states but shell sell v-power over here, I normally put a tank of it in every so often - that and get some injector cleaner additive and get you cars alignment checked , cos if you've kerb'd a wheel you could be scrubbin' down the road

twitter.com/bertchalmers
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

most times we fill up we use v power but for cost reasons we sometimes dont (yes it is in the states)
Old 07-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #33 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I can't suggest that you buy a certain fuel, I can't suggest that you use additives...

I believe that both of those things have always been claimed to be good, yet the supporters of either have never provided real evidence that either actually does anything.

Alignment, I can agree with. It takes more energy to slide your foot across the ground than to roll it.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Eco-Fit - '13 Honda Fit Base
90 day: 37.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjacob View Post
What's an "Italian tune up"?

Hypermiling takes practice. Each car is different. You need to get a feel for what works, and what doesn't. Bummer about not being able to pump up the tires. Have you considered getting a scanguage?
Late to thread, but an "Italian tune up" is when you take the car for a nice drive in the HIGHEST rpms you are comfortable with, usually about a mile or two. This cleans the carbon off of the spark plug electrodes and sometimes dislodges carbon on valves. The term originates from Italian sports cars being taken for a "joyride" by mechanics when brought in for running rough. Usually the cause of the rough running was the owner "babying" the gas pedal, and carbon building up as a result.
I do not recommend this type of action, as the amount of potential for catastrophic engine failure, increased wear and overall safety of the action. Just throw a bottle of fuel injector/carburetor cleaner in the next gas tank. Next, you should take the advice for the rest of the people on this thread.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:11 AM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Fizz - '06 Skoda Fabia Combi
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 56.62 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0w3n View Post
my usual trips are like 5 miles (grocery store is about 6 resturuants are like 3 umm beach is like 5 it varies but there not too long). I would ride a bike to and fro but my family usually hangs with me.
6 miles? So buy more bikes if you all need to go. You'd probably have room for the groceries

I think you're being very optimistic thinking that you can get great mpg driving such short trips. I drive a diesel, gently, out of town, usually about 30 miles, with hypermiling tactics, and don't get that much above manufacturer's figures...
Old 07-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Metro - '98 Chevrolet Metro LSi
90 day: 44.6 mpg (US)
I'm kind of in the same boat as you and I can attest that your weak mileage is probably due to your short-trip driving.

I started Park-n-ride for my commute to work in the monrings. I drive the car 3 miles to avoid a major highway and a major hill into my subdivision, and I bike 3.4 miles into the office.

Since doing this, I'm driving much less, which is great, but I'm also taking a loss in fuel economy. My last tank was down from my average 22 to 19 mpg.
Honestly though, I could care less. The goal here is not just to have great MPG numbers for bragging rights or for some other superficial reason. The goal is to use less fuel. Just because the overall MPG number is lower doesn't really matter. I went almost 2 months without buying gasoline, thanks to my bicycle and with a little help from my scooter.

I didn't put gas in the Kia between 5-15-09 and 7-15-09...
I think that's awesome, given that the average fill-up over the last 2 years occured 2 times per month. I'm hoping to extend this tank even further.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #37 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
jonathan150cc -

Yeah, that's the right way to look at it. Because I am a commuter, I am a major offender. I used to live 2+ miles from work, so I was the "good guy". Now I live 35+ miles, so I am the "bad guy" (at least in my mind).

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 07-17-2009, 09:39 PM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

chipsndukes - '96 Toyota Tacoma
90 day: 31.37 mpg (US)
I read through the thread and didn't notice any mention of the O2 sensor.

There are some myths (IMHO) about these sensors and when they go bad.

First of all, they don't always throw a CEL, and secondly, just because they still respond, doesn't mean that the response is fast enough to provide high MPG.

I have replaced the O2 sensor on my Tacoma twice, both times because engine work was done (contamination in the exhaust stream), and neither time did the light come on.

But in both cases, my gas mileage went down by about 25%, something to consider.

Chipsndukes
Old 07-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #39 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan150cc View Post
I didn't put gas in the Kia between 5-15-09 and 7-15-09...
I think that's awesome, given that the average fill-up over the last 2 years occured 2 times per month. I'm hoping to extend this tank even further.
Wow, that's awesome. Sounds like you'd be a perfect candidate for a Forkenswift.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:21 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wildfire - '96 Ford Bronco XL
90 day: 14.88 mpg (US)

Blackford - '96 Ford Bronco XLT
90 day: 20.26 mpg (US)

Y2k - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
90 day: 73.98 mpg (US)

Redford V10 - '01 Ford F250 Lariat
90 day: 15.64 mpg (US)

FireFly - '00 Honda Insight DX
90 day: 69.43 mpg (US)

LittleRed - '00 Honda Insight
Those short trips are killing you. My diesel pickup only gets about 12mpg over 6 miles, yet I can get over 28mpg over 55 miles.

My 99 Metro can just get 40 mpg over 6 miles, but can get over 60 mpg over the same 55 miles.

I believe hypermiling techniques can be realized over longer distances, rather than short trips. Don't idle and let it warm up - just get in, seatbelts on, start it and go. Use light throttle to use the least amount of horsepower. A heavy foot at low RPM is very wasteful.

If you have a Phillips 66 gas station around, I believe most all DO NOT use alcohol/oxygenated fuel (check the pump sticker). Use the lowest octane.