Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now
 


Closed Thread  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2014, 11:08 PM   #21 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: nowhere
Posts: 533
Thanks: 31
Thanked 86 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
What you"should" of done xyz was ask for advice. Then say a "friend" of yours was arrested and ticketed with reckless driving, blah, blah, blah.
My advice to you is not to play the "ad hominem" game.

 
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 08-21-2014, 01:47 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,643
Thanks: 1,503
Thanked 276 Times in 226 Posts
Cool

Xist a troll?!?!?!?!?! No way!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
I'll stop short of saying that it borders on teasing us, or trolling.
 
Old 08-21-2014, 03:45 AM   #23 (permalink)
Not banned yet
 
deejaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas Coast, close to Houston
Posts: 880

getto - '02 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI
90 day: 53.82 mpg (US)
Thanks: 413
Thanked 258 Times in 206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
......However - for him to say "I was arrested" and then not say what he was arrested for, is provocative and attention seeking.

I'll stop short of saying that it borders on teasing us, or trolling.
if you say that, you don't know him. don't use "us" when you are talking about yourself. if you don't know his situation then you can't make assumptions. quit while you're behind.
__________________
FOR SALE: 02 TDI Jetta- 5 sp: Cooper CS5 at 50 psi, UltraGauge, ventectomy, rear air shocks, mufflerectomy, LED plate light, upper fiberglass grille block, front lower pan, front fairing.
93 Chevy CrewCab 6.5 TurboDiesel, GearVendor OverDrive, 4L80 w/ TCI controls. Now DailyDriver

 
The Following User Says Thank You to deejaaa For This Useful Post:
Xist (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 07:36 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philippines
Posts: 2,173
Thanks: 1,739
Thanked 587 Times in 401 Posts
Well, when you have legal trouble and don't know what to do, it's definitely in your best interest not to write any specifics about it until you get proper legal advice, even if what you're posting could be used in your defense.

In my moderation position on other boards, I've had to erase a number of posts and lock threads due to ongoing or resolved litigation.

You also don't want to post a rant about cops if such rant could come back to haunt you.

I can understand the need to vent, however, even if you can't say anything specific about the case.
 
The Following User Says Thank You to niky For This Useful Post:
Xist (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 08:18 AM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Newb
 
redpoint5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,406

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 29.14 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 28.5 mpg (US)
Thanks: 2,836
Thanked 3,232 Times in 2,409 Posts
I once had my car towed on a Friday night because my license was "invalid". The DMV had suspended my license for a period of time without notifying me, and after that period of time I was supposed to pay some fee to make my license valid. Again, they didn't notify me of this.

The car spent the whole weekend in the impound because it wasn't open on the weekends (although they seem to have no problem impounding more cars over the weekend). By Monday, I had to pay $300 to get the car out.

In court, I won the case when it was found that I was not properly notified of my license suspension. When I asked the judge how to get my impound fee back, I was told it was a private matter between me and the impound.
__________________
Gas and Electric Vehicle Cost of Ownership Calculator







Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
 
Old 08-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
P-hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,408

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
Thanks: 102
Thanked 249 Times in 201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
My advice to you is not to play the "ad hominem" game.
He is trying to state it in a way so you can talk plainly about it, because without any specifics, we can't really help you. And it is just a guessing game.
 
Old 08-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #27 (permalink)
Not Doug
 
Xist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Show Low, AZ
Posts: 10,037

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 32.86 mpg (US)
Thanks: 6,669
Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
"Failure to disperse."

And posession of rubber bullets:
Was there a story about someone getting arrested for not hearing an order while wearing hearing protection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
Are you out on bail with a trial pending?
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
I'll stop short of saying that it borders on teasing us, or trolling.
From my original post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I am not giving any details publicly...

Please PM me if you want more information...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Xist a troll?!?!?!?!?! No way!!!!
Why did you bring up World of Warcraft?

RedPoint5, did the impound company talk to you? I imagine they did not bother being polite.

By the way, if you get a three-day temporary registration and then re-register on-line for a year or two, the site kindly tells you that you will receive your registration in five business days. Then, the last day that I physically had registration, and was all packed and ready to go back up to Mom's after all of this drama (with permission from the judge), my check engine light comes on. It looks like a bad O2 sensor. I did not get very far with it yesterday.

I hate this, I am paranoid to leave the house. I keep expecting a courtesy stop to just inform me that a taillight is out, but then they find out about my arrest and stop being courteous. Just when I can finally sit with my back to a door.

I looked up stuff on-line. I do not know if it was more useful than talking to the lawyer or not, and the lawyer's fee is higher than the greatest possible fine.
 
Old 08-21-2014, 12:15 PM   #28 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: nowhere
Posts: 533
Thanks: 31
Thanked 86 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Well, when you have legal trouble and don't know what to do, it's definitely in your best interest not to write any specifics about it until you get proper legal advice, even if what you're posting could be used in your defense.

In my moderation position on other boards, I've had to erase a number of posts and lock threads due to ongoing or resolved litigation.

You also don't want to post a rant about cops if such rant could come back to haunt you.

I can understand the need to vent, however, even if you can't say anything specific about the case.
Did I or anyone else ask for specifics? No, of course I didn't and I would advise against stating or discussing them - but it seems that some here are not comprehending what I wrote or reading into it something other than what I stated.

There is nothing disadvantageous about him telling us what the charges are. The charges brought against him are a matter of public record. It doesn't imply guilt. As the old saying goes, you can indict a ham sandwich - but that doesn't mean the prosecution's case is valid or provable.

What's the point of saying "I was arrested" then not telling what the charges are? Is it to keep us on the edge of our chairs wondering?
 
Old 08-21-2014, 02:31 PM   #29 (permalink)
Rat Racer
 
Fat Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Route 16
Posts: 4,067

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,724
Thanked 1,861 Times in 1,208 Posts
Because it's not about what possible penalties he might be looking at down the road.

It's about a crappy weekend that got dropped in his lap out of the blue. It looks like he knew what he was doing but doesn't know what was reported over the phone because the police response (and resulting weekend) wasn't in line with what he was actually doing.

It's about a crappy weekend just for coming to the attention of the police, just being held overnight and released.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

 
The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
Xist (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #30 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU
 
California98Civic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Coastal Southern California
Posts: 6,092

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanks: 2,307
Thanked 2,025 Times in 1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
... Are you out on bail with a trial pending?

Why don't you tell us what the charges are? ...
Those are specific requests, XYZ. There is no non-specific way to answer that. And answering when the date of arrest, approximate location of arrest, and gender and vehicle description of the person arrested are all already in this thread just increases the chances that he can't keep his anonymity. Your line of questioning is not friendly to his interests. He's on this social site, I imagine, looking for a little moral support, not free legal advice, which he can get elsewhere without exposing himself to the off chance of further headaches.

__________________
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.



 
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
deejaaa (08-21-2014), Xist (08-21-2014)
Closed Thread  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com