Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2021, 03:03 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Sweet! One gallon of gas instead of 30 days' rent?!
If I wasn't such a car nut and more of a minimalist I would so do it. The Ozark National Forest here is amazing. Buffalo river etc...
We did the Buffalo river trail in December and it was sweet!

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-19-2021, 02:44 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
In the 1980s what I wanted was an old school bus with a wood chipper behind an extended front bumper, on a dog clutch off the pulley end of the engine. Blow the chips through a pipe into a hopper on the rear roof. Above a wood alcohol still or wood gas generator.

Lots of slash piles on BLM land.

Do any of those video reviews do a Ping or TraceRoute? I'd be interested in whether a Starlink-to-Starlink route would ever leave their domain. That would be can't-stop-the-signal grade stuff. ....If you can trust Elon Musk's libertarian politics.

Old 02-19-2021, 02:49 AM   #23 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
How long until you can put Starlink in a Tesla?
Old 02-19-2021, 06:23 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It depends. Firstly, you need a Tesla,

Then you need the service.
Quote:
SpaceX's Starlink has expanded the preorder program for its new satellite internet service. As spotted by CNBC, the Elon Musk-founded company this week has begun to allow interested customers to preorder a satellite internet kit with a $99 deposit due today.

Although the service isn't yet widely available, once it does come to your area you will need to pay an additional $499 for the hardware, which includes a Starlink satellite dish for your home, a Wi-Fi router, a power supply, cables and a mounting tripod. There will also be fees for shipping and tax, plus the regular internet service cost, which runs $99 per month.

Orders will be filled on a "first-come, first-served basis" but could take six months "more to fulfill" depending on your location. If you decide you don't want the service the preorder is "fully refundable."
www.cnet.com/news/spacexs-starlink-expands-preorders-for-its-99-a-month-internet-service/

Then you'd need to orient the antenna, so an Android or IOS phone.
Quote:
SpaceX's Official Starlink App Now Available On Android & iOS
https://screenrant.com/spacex-starli...-app-download/
SpaceX's Starlink app is now available to download on Android and iOS devices. Here's what you need to know before installing the space internet app. By Kyle Encina Oct 30, 2020 SpaceX's official Starlink app is now ready to serve Android and iOS users with access to tools that aid in setting up the best internet connection possible.
Finally, some means of dynamically reorienting the antenna. Maybe homebrew a Raspberry Pi for the GPIO connector?

edit:
The only thing I've found about the network security question is that it's illegal in Russia

www.fool.com/investing/2021/02/15/why-russia-is-terrified-of-spacex-and-starlink/
Quote:
What does Russia have against cheap, fast, reliable internet from space? For one thing, Russian security services object that internet operated by a foreign satellite network would be immune from surveillance under Russia's System of Operational Search Measures legislation ("SORM"). For another, they suspect that Starlink is part of a U.S. government plot to deploy "predatory, clever, powerful, high-technology ... shock and awe ... to advance, above all, [American] military interests."
They must look under their bed each night... to see if Elon Musk is carrying water for the US government.

Starlink is the 'if you don't like it build your own social media' answer. ....potentially.

Last edited by freebeard; 02-19-2021 at 06:37 PM..
Old 02-20-2021, 09:42 AM   #25 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
Why do you need to repoint the antenna? Nothing I saw said that was necessary. The typical aperture is a couple of degrees wide and if you design the backplane correctly maybe as high as 10 degrees. Yeah you'll lose a couple db on the edges and gain some in the sweet spot but REALLY????

Maybe you need 100% comm while the balance of the network gets installed

Wifi router?
Old 02-20-2021, 11:59 AM   #26 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
I didn't understand the need for adjustment either, but the dish does orient itself. Perhaps in the early phase when there are only 25% of the sats deployed the coverage isn't enough to always be pointed at one.

You think pointing will be necessary once there are 4,000+ sats in the sky? I'd think you would just want to point straight up to minimize the amount of atmosphere to cut through.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 02-20-2021, 01:51 PM   #27 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Well 5 degrees square over 130 miles gives you a pretty big swath of sky. I think the aperture on the synchronous stuff I dealt with was only 1 to 2 degrees and it covered all of USA and some Canada or Mexico overlap
Old 02-20-2021, 11:28 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Read more closely:
Quote:
SpaceX's official Starlink app is now ready to serve Android and iOS users with access to tools that aid in setting up the best internet connection possible.

Old 02-22-2021, 11:07 AM   #29 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Read more closely:
Shouldn't that be Linux/unix instead? Both were designed to be file servers first.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:09 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

According to Richard Stallman, it should be GNU/Linux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDG
Linux and GNU - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation
Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
The Android branding is Google's embrace and extend strategy following Microsoft's classic strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDG
Android (operating system) - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)
Android is a mobile operating system based on a modified version of the Linux kernel and other open source software, designed primarily for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets. Android is developed by a consortium of developers known as the Open Handset Alliance and commercially sponsored by Google.

Last edited by freebeard; 02-22-2021 at 01:14 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread