Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2009, 12:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
An air dam's main benefit is downforce, with some aero benefits from lower air speed on the undercarriage roughness, despite the increase in frontal area. For economy, you want a smooth underside, and a fairly low, rounded front end to give as much underflow as the space will allow. A small air intake that adjusts in size, with smooth ducting sealed to the rad is another great improvement you can make at the same time. Take care about how the air flows back out, too.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Send a message via AIM to pumafeet10
Thats what i kept thinking as well, that the one piece front end as it sits would create down force to help keep the car planted which isn't a bad thing for NASCAR but for me not ideal considering i never go over about 60mph.

I am trying to figure out how to modify the front end to be more > shaped and to flow with the bumper...

Anyone a fiberglass expert or body man?
Old 08-13-2009, 07:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

2000 Civic EX - '00 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 36.97 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to ESmooth
You may want to check out AndrewJs thread, not as extreme as Basjoos, but good inspiration for a civic hatch:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...amics-312.html

Oddly enough, he had better results with a low airdam and no undertray than with a shorter airdam and undertray. Im sure that can all be fine tuned no matter which way you go, but its a fun path to take either way.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I had looked at AndrewJ's thread many times before and liked what he was doing but since there is so much of my front end that needs repaired or replaced anyway, i keep leaning toward the one piece.

I have been pondering what to do to the rear end to make it better but still not sure where to even start
Old 09-09-2009, 10:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I had posted over on cleanmpg and was kind of convinced, not that I really need much convincing, but I am really wanting to try to make a boat tail rear end to go with the one piece front end.

Basjoos was kind of the inspiration for me to start planning this project BUT, i want to try and make my project a bit more aesthetically pleasing , a bit smoother and also a shorter distance from the back of the actual car.

now where to start is the question? I have been looking at getting a rear window molded out of lexan but where do i go from there ..
Old 09-09-2009, 11:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
You can chop a boat tail at any point before reaching the tip. Compare AndrewJ's to basjoos'. Once you have passed roughly 50% of max. cross sectional area in the taper, you're into the realm of diminishing returns anyway.

As for constructing/mounting it, I don't think anyone can give you specifics. You'll need to either copy someone else's work (see above two cars), or get the creative juices flowing and come up with a new solution.

As for smoothness, either of Andrew's or basjoos' work could be made smoother. It all depends on how much time you want to put in the project. My experience is you can make something functional, or you can spend 10 times as much time to make it functional and professional looking!
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 09-09-2009, 11:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
Plexiglas is easier and cheaper to form than polycarbonate. Since a rear window is not subject to flex, you don't need the toughness of Lexan, and will probably appreciate the much easier polishing to keep it sort of clear. The labor savings seem like about a factor of ten.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:09 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
Maybe even think about magnets and/or suction cups. I've been thinking about how that could work out well. Welcome, and BTW do you know if there are any cars similar to y(ours) in any of the local salvage yards down near York? I'm going to be in that area in a couple of weeks for work and I need a front right caliper.