Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi all. I bought the kit and went to the computer and all was great. Installed it in about 15 minutes checked everything an it was good. Went on a test drive and got the thing reading instantly but not in spec. I had my 7 year old daughter reading the GPS on speed while I went about adjusting the VSS calib. in about a mile or so the MPG screen froze so I unplugged the power and reset the unit all was good again but again it froze. This time I adjusted the injection to bring it down from the 500+mpg it was displaying thinking it was having a calculation error. I drove and adjusted the vss until I was about .5 mph off and the screen went blank. I have it plugged into my computer right now but can not get the display up. I would like to reflash the pic but I have no Idea how to do it. I downloaded the arduino 11 program but have no clue as to how to make my computer and the pic to comunicate with each other I sure could use some help here. It is nothing like my Microchip programmer and I am sure I could spend days looking for good info to get to a 5 minute job. I would like all the help I can get. I am using it on a 1990 Chrylser Lebaron that had the digital dash that went out. I can live without some of info from the dash but a MPH gauge would be nice not to mention being able to get MPG at a glance.
Thanks all,
Hugh Coleman

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-15-2009, 02:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Grey Goose (Retired) - '89 Geo Metro LSI 4 door hatch back
Last 3: 57.16 mpg (US)

Tweety - '91 Geo Metro Convertible -2 Door convertible LSI
Team Metro
90 day: 43.97 mpg (US)

Shadow - '02 Honda Shadow VT1100
90 day: 43.46 mpg (US)

Sonic - '07 Honda CBR1000RR
90 day: 42.69 mpg (US)

Filmore - '84 Volkswagen Vanagon
90 day: 20.9 mpg (US)
My MPGuino kit came in today.

My MPGuino kit came in today I got the one form spiffed (Kevin). I'll check the SW version. Just FYI.

I hope my honey-do list is short this weekend. I want to play with my car!
I also bought (this week) remote start switch, button for engine kill, my tach and vacuum gauges showed up last week. I would love to get every thing installed this weekend. I'd be all instrumented out. Fingers crossed.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hu_man View Post
I would like to reflash the pic but I have no Idea how to do it. I downloaded the arduino 11 program but have no clue as to how to make my computer and the pic to comunicate with each other I sure could use some help here.
Sorry, Hu_man I didn't mean to hijack with my giddiness. Hu_man had a request for help that doesn't look like he got a response to.

Hu_man did you find a solution? a link to help your situation?

Back to my selfish hijack...but related.
I could use similar guidance for re-flash how-to and also could use help finding a correct VSS on my Metro. I measured the assumed VSS after my guino locked up and found over 12V "ouch" on it. Should have measured before I started the car with the guino plugged in. (Note: MPGuino came up and was working. I ran through the setup screens, then I started the car and it froze). I used the link (VSS values for many models '86-'95 (Rostra Precision Controls)[6]) from the wiki for the cruse control data and it said yellow/green '91 Metro. Mine is '89 yellow/green appears to be rear defrost relay.

Anyway with a re-flash and a correct VSS source I should be up and going.

Thanks (in advance) for your help guys.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Metro

I just had a thought after reading up on MPGuino troubleshooting.
I'll re-check my power and ground but I was wondering....
Some power sources are "always on" but disengage during the start to protect them from power surge/drain. I need to make sure I've got clean always on- no exceptions.
Could this cause the quick reboot issue I've been reading about? (turn key to on...boot loader starts...turn key to start, power drops, key back to on, bootloader lock/freeze?)
This could be a secondary issue for me. I know I still need a real VSS.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

doviatt its all good
I have not resolved the issue with the kit I bought another that was preassembled and installed it.
I would think that your VSS would have three wires on it one is ground one is usually 5 volts supply and the last is the signal. I will be in town probly on thurs, and will look in the mitchell manual for the wiring and see if they show anything.
I got all my wires hooked up right at the computer at the connector going in I figure if the computer is working then the supplies must be good.
I am with you on the boot loader I have read a little online about it and the way I see it is it is just a program that is installed on the atmega168 to let you load the operating system. I am not sure just how it works or all the details but I will get to the bottom of it soon.
I have bought a programmer and a proto typing board for the 168 and a few 168's from digi key I hope soon I will have it all figured out.
Hugh
Old 05-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #16 (permalink)
Modding for Eris

SilverCivic - '08 Honda Civic
90 day: 28.69 mpg (US)
I'm interested to find out if the iDuino is compatible with software written for an Arduino for a separate project. (haptic compass thingymabob)

I also want to buy an MPGuino kit, but its out of stock and the price + postage to Australia is a bit steep right now. Though I will be in Canada in a few weeks, and it looks a bit more reasonable if I pay with canadian money and have it posted to my inlaws. Then (assuming I can get the kit through airline security) I'll build it when I get home.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Metro

Thalass,

Even though the Fundamental Logic site shows out of stock, I placed my order and got it about 2 weeks later. Their stock status never changed on their site though.
dcb has the pre-made ones ready to go.
http://opengauge.org/mpguino/

Sorry I can't help with iDuino but I beleive it uses same/similar code. Experts pipe in here.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thalass save your self some greef and buy the pre assembled one I had some problems with the kit. It was buggy when I installed it after it failed for good I bought the one from dcd and put it in the same wiring that the kit was on and had success only one problem but it was minor compaired to complete failure.
Hugh
Old 10-23-2010, 01:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Odyssey - '98 Honda Odyssey
90 day: 24.45 mpg (US)

The Civic - '98 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 32.5 mpg (US)
17 months later......

Fundamental Logic is closed.

I want to build this myself if I can, I'm handy, but not really an electronics guy (yet). Is there a DIY parts list somewhere? And what about etched PCBs, do I need to make my own, or is dcb selling those separately?

From my reading, here is some of what I need:
Quote:
Parts you can get from Fundamental Logic's site:
1 iDuino $17.82 for a kit
2 5.1v Zener Diode $0.25 each
1 1n4004 Diode $0.10 each
1 2n3906 PNP Transistor $0.05 each
3 6mm Tactile Switch $0.35 each
1 470uF 25V Capacitor $0.35 each
1 0.1uF Ceramic Capacitor $0.10 each
4 8pin Female 0.100" Header $0.45 each
Parts you will need from elsewhere:
1 LCD
16x2 LCD Module While Characters Blue Backlight
Or a green one from Sparkfun or mouser
1 220 ohm resistor (RadioShack, 5 for $0.99)
2 100K resistors (RadioShack, 5 for $0.99)
1 7805 voltage regulator (RadioShack, $1.59)
Solderable Breadboard (RadioShack, $3.49)
Wire (free if you can - seriously, watch in parking lots for wire!, $1.00 for phone line or Ethernet cable at a dollar store, or new at Wal-Mart or RadioShack)
1 Quick-Disconnect (if desired, free from old devices like computers/printers/phones/phone jacks, or $3.99 for a 4 wire quick-disconnect from RadioShack)
1 Enclosure (Hobby Lobby, 4 for 1.99)
I have found sources for everything except the iduino kit, which was appears to have been made by Fundamental Logic. What are the components I need to get in order to replicate the iduino? Or is there a better way to go about this?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:54 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Metro View Post
17 months later......

Fundamental Logic is closed.

I want to build this myself if I can, I'm handy, but not really an electronics guy (yet). Is there a DIY parts list somewhere? And what about etched PCBs, do I need to make my own, or is dcb selling those separately?

From my reading, here is some of what I need:

I have found sources for everything except the iduino kit, which was appears to have been made by Fundamental Logic. What are the components I need to get in order to replicate the iduino? Or is there a better way to go about this?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
When I built the one you are referencing above, I didn't use an etched board that was specifically for the purpose of building an MPGuino, I used a "solderable breadboard" that I got at RadioShack. RadioShack also carries a pegboard with solderable pads. If you want to build one on your own, you can contact DCB and see if he will supply various parts. I know he does the pre-assembled version, so he may be willing to sell you all the pieces and let you assemble it yourself. I think the hardest part is programming a chip, if it doesn't come programmed. When I built the iDuino MPGuino, I had a chip with the arduino code already installed, and it still took me a long time to figure out how to do the code upload. If you want to build it yourself, and want a replacement for the iDuino, you can go with the arduino, like the original ones that are referenced on the MPGuino thread, and it has wiring diagrams shown on the wiki. The reason I didn't go this route was I wanted it to be as compact as possible.

EDIT:
If I remember correctly, just in parts for the build, I had about $45 invested (probably more). I also had to buy solder, a soldering iron, wire strippers, pay for shipping from various places, spend several hours learning what I was doing, figure out how to program the chip... the pre-assembled really makes sense unless you have all this stuff laying around. Dave (dcb) puts them together, tests them, and ships them ready to install for a very reasonable price.

Last edited by wyatt; 10-24-2010 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: Price reason for going with a prebuilt
Reply  Post New Thread