Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2015, 03:04 AM   #51 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,711 Posts
I have not been able to get YouTube to work for a little while, at least the sound, so it was cool to watch a video again. I especially liked "I am not going to be spending millions of dollars not building a car, like some companies."

I definitely see some similarities between your project and that one, but how long ago did you choose your drivetrain?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-20-2015, 09:34 PM   #52 (permalink)
EcoModding Jack

After a good start, things have slowed down on the crowdfunding campaign.

I took the car to a hotrod show this weekend, and just about everyone thought it was a land-speed car and wanted to know how fast it would go.
Not really an EV crowd.

Any suggestions on where to find people interested in high efficient electric cars?
Old 07-21-2015, 03:03 AM   #53 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Wanted to post here rather than on our new members thread- we'ee kind of jacking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
It would be cool to get the ecomodder decal on them in a circular layout along the edge. Might be willing, what you think a reasonable price?
Speedway Motors has the 15in aluminum discs for $20 each..update read the reviews and the $20 version is very thin and easily damaged. The thick ones are $35 each.
How much for a 19? I probably wouldn't use them all the time, but getting high grip performance tires has significantly hurt my MPG, and I need to start edging back.

Quote:
I can only estimate the Indy One will use 100 watts per mile, which is 1/3 that of a Tesla Model S, it weighs 1/3 less and has 1/3 less air resistance, so it would get the equivalent of about 330 MPG.
This is 10kwh for a 100 miles. Electricity costs vary, at California residential average of $0.15/kwh, a 100 mile e-fillup would cost $1.50.

So if you drive 10,000 miles a year, at 30 mpg, you would buy 330 gallons,
at $4/gallon is $1,332 in fuel cost. If my estimate is correct, the electricity cost for this year driving the indy one instead would be $150.

Note that using a Nissan Leaf 24kwh battery pack, the Indy One would have a range of 240 miles.
AeroHead would have to clarify for me, but I don't think just taking away 3rds equals out. 1/3rd the engine size, 1/3rd the weight, and 1/3rd the FA wouldn't get it unlimited MPx, rather 1/3 reduction reduces by 1/3rd.
So easy math, Tesla scores 100.
You reduce FA by 1/3rd, dropping to 66.6 continued.
Dropping the weight by 1/3rd would drop it by 22.2 continued, to 44.4 continued. Diminished effects. Kind of like having a 50% off coupon at a 50% off sale- it isn't free, it is 75% off.

Then again, that's if all of these changes were completely linear. I have a hard time imagining there isn't a cubic effect working with CDs, CDAs, and other factors- especially relevant when comparing to the Tesla. So what testing has been done? Using our tools or math I don't understand without breaking out old college books, what are the actual numbers? I didn't watch the videos, but didn't see any claims based on performance on the site or posted here. What is the mass? Is it operational? Are rims and tires provided? Will all of them be sourced from 1971 Zs? What are the dimensions? What is storage like? My pups like to go with me lol.

Is the CF tub option a replacement for the frame? What is the further weight savings vs this current kit? I've got a lot of questions, but I should start out slow. Sorry, last one, which Tesla are you comparing? Have you thought of comparing to something a little closer to your product? I mean, I think a Leaf or Miev would be a lot closer than a 70-100k+ luxury RWD performance sedan. I know "Tesla" is a great buzzword, but I don't get who would be cross shopping or even reasonably comparing [the two[...unless there is a Ludicrous mode you're not telling us about...

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UltArc For This Useful Post:
deejaaa (07-21-2015), NickelB NL (07-21-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 04:28 AM   #54 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,636 Times in 7,114 Posts
Quote:
Any suggestions on where to find people interested in high efficient electric cars?
The short course at Bonneville Salt Flats.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:47 AM   #55 (permalink)
EcoModding Jack

The good news is I've gotten enough support so I can build at least one actual Indy One so no estimates will be needed, actual results can be reported.
The plan will be to have a 300 mile range car and take it on a roadshow up and down the west coast.

Everything not included in the kit comes from a Prius, except the battery pack and the charger for the pack.
So the tires and wheels come from the Prius.

I've had people ask for a completed car (not for $40k ) and I'm considering offering it this way along with the kits. At least initially.
Part of the point of the car is to use local labor, but at the moment, the only labor available is Jack.
The Following User Says Thank You to nimblemotors For This Useful Post:
deejaaa (07-21-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 10:44 AM   #56 (permalink)
Not banned yet

Blue - '03 Chevy S-10, LS
I like the look, projected range, cost for a DIY project. keep up the good work. I like it when thoughts start to become reality.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:02 PM   #57 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

How much for a CF 19 moon cap? What numbers do you know so far regarding performance? The display unit is not operational? How are you sourcing the non CF tub models, all 1971 Zs? What difference will the CF tub be? What are the dimensions? What kind of storage or capacity is there? Which Tesla are you comparing to? Is this front or rear drive?

Best Tanks:
Old 07-27-2015, 11:54 AM   #58 (permalink)
EcoModding Jack

What is a CF 19 moon cap? The ones I have made are for 15in wheels.
The molds are not good enough to really produce more, the edges don't come out very good. it's ok to fix them after they come off the mold when you only do a few, but isn't viable for actual production purposes.

I have no performance numbers on the current vehicle.
It is a functional operational vehicle, but it is not registered so it can't legally be driven on the street. You can be sure any policeman seeing it will pull me over immediately. If you watch my video you will see me driving it.

This one vehicle is mostly steel and very heavy. It is really nothing more than a buck to make fiberglass molds for the actual Indy One vehicle.
The details of the internal fiberglass structure is not yet done.
I am a 'hands on' designer and builder.

The body is 13 ft long, 55 inches wide, and 49 inches tall.
I'm going to test out eliminating the front overhang, which makes it difficult for speed bumps giving how low it is. That would shorten it by about 12 inches.

There is storage space under the hood above the batteries.
And inside the passenger compartment there will be storage space.

The vehicle uses a Prius drivetrain which is front-wheel-drive, front-wheel-steering.

My estimates compare it to a Tesla Model S.

I appreciate your interest, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
How much for a CF 19 moon cap? What numbers do you know so far regarding performance? The display unit is not operational? How are you sourcing the non CF tub models, all 1971 Zs? What difference will the CF tub be? What are the dimensions? What kind of storage or capacity is there? Which Tesla are you comparing to? Is this front or rear drive?
Old 07-28-2015, 01:58 PM   #59 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
I have a 91 Geo Metro front suspension in this prototype.
It has 12in steel wheels. I'd be interested if anyone happens to have the stock metro hub caps for the wheels. I had a pair at some point, but can't find them.

Or if someone has some lighter and larger tires and wheels they might suggest.
The wheel wells are more for the 14 or 15 prius wheels, and these 12in wheels look rather small.
Yes, I would suggest the Gen1 Honda Insight wheels. Very light, and also with aluminum disk calipers.

If I were to build an "Edison" style four-wheeler, I would consider some of the Insight components.

Jim.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:25 PM   #60 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Quote:
What is a CF 19 moon cap? The ones I have made are for 15in wheels.
The molds are not good enough to really produce more, the edges don't come out very good. it's ok to fix them after they come off the mold when you only do a few, but isn't viable for actual production purposes.

I have no performance numbers on the current vehicle.
It is a functional operational vehicle, but it is not registered so it can't legally be driven on the street. You can be sure any policeman seeing it will pull me over immediately. If you watch my video you will see me driving it.

This one vehicle is mostly steel and very heavy. It is really nothing more than a buck to make fiberglass molds for the actual Indy One vehicle.
The details of the internal fiberglass structure is not yet done.
I am a 'hands on' designer and builder.

The body is 13 ft long, 55 inches wide, and 49 inches tall.
I'm going to test out eliminating the front overhang, which makes it difficult for speed bumps giving how low it is. That would shorten it by about 12 inches.

There is storage space under the hood above the batteries.
And inside the passenger compartment there will be storage space.

The vehicle uses a Prius drivetrain which is front-wheel-drive, front-wheel-steering.

My estimates compare it to a Tesla Model S.

I appreciate your interest, thanks.
A few people expressed interest [in getting a CF cap], by CF 19 moon cap I mean a carbon fiber moon cap for a 19. How much would one be? I know the Toyota is a FF, but all Teslas are rear wheel drive or all wheel, so I guess I am still trying to make the connection between the Tesla and this. I can't understand how this is closer to the Model S than a Leaf, or MiEV.

So are all of the frames going to be sourced from 71 Zs? I'm very curious about these CF (carbon fiber) tubs- short of McLaren, I never really hear about them. Thanks for the responses, I like hearing back!

Best Tanks:
Reply  Post New Thread