Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
tasdrouille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mirabel, QC
Posts: 1,672

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Thanks: 35
Thanked 83 Times in 55 Posts
If that signal is anything like what the ECU reports in VAG-COM, it's not accurate at all (overly optimistic at low rpm and pessimistic at high rpm).

__________________



www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 08-22-2010, 03:22 AM   #42 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: terra firma
Posts: 138
Thanks: 4
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Did anyone ever successfully find where to tap the MPGuino into a TDI? I.e., anyone besides yetimus & others who were lucky enough to have a Fuel Consumption signal from their ECU. My 98 A3 TDI doesn't have that signal (harness is missing that wire), and i assume only some Passats actually had it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 337
Thanks: 4
Thanked 37 Times in 21 Posts
I'm also interested if anybody ever got this to work with their USA TDI.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #44 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 1,733

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Thanks: 55
Thanked 99 Times in 79 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dremd
I gave up and installed a MFA

I still need to add the Outside temp Sensor, but I have replaced the panel missing in that pic and re-installed SGII.
If you need any support with that, let me know I'll post up what I know.
__________________
2012 Tesla Model S P85
2013 Nissan LEAF SV totaled by now deceased intoxacated driver.
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #45 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell
 
dcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location:
Posts: 5,038

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Thanks: 158
Thanked 267 Times in 210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
I gave up and installed a MFA

I still need to add the Outside temp Sensor, but I have replaced the panel missing in that pic and re-installed SGII.
If you need any support with that, let me know I'll post up what I know.
Hmm, it is displaying mpg, but no "light blue wire" for the fuel consumption signal?
__________________
WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #46 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 1,733

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Thanks: 55
Thanked 99 Times in 79 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dremd
The light blue wire does supply signal, however when I probed it with Oscilloscope it had no correlation to my assumed fuel consumption.
I assume it is some other type of signal that is not obvious unsung an oscilloscope, or the MPG Guino.

What is installed in the car now is a different cluster, mine is from a Bora TDI sport (which happened to be a 6 speed), I assume it uses the blue wire for fuel consumption . . . .
__________________
2012 Tesla Model S P85
2013 Nissan LEAF SV totaled by now deceased intoxacated driver.
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:51 AM   #47 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: terra firma
Posts: 138
Thanks: 4
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdigger View Post
Did anyone ever successfully find where to tap the MPGuino into a TDI? I.e., anyone besides yetimus & others who were lucky enough to have a Fuel Consumption signal from their ECU. My 98 A3 TDI doesn't have that signal (harness is missing that wire), and i assume only some Passats actually had it.
Quick answer for you, nick:

Add a wire to your T68 ecu harness connector, at pin #9. I recommend you de-pin one from a junk yard harness, and add it to yours. (Note: depinning VW harnesses is a b-word). Now run it through a rubber plug in the firewall, near the fuse block. You'll need to remove the 100k resistor from your mpguino, because the signal is low-voltage and does not need to be pulled down. Keep the zener, though.

Next, get your VSS signal from the blue/white (or white/blue) wire at W/1 on the fuse/junction block. It's a 12v-0v signal, so keep the corresponding 100k resistor on the 'guino.

Set your InjTrg to 1 (Rising). As for other settings, i haven't calibrated mine yet. My ballpark guess is around 13000 VSS/mile, and 170,000,000 usec/gal, with maybe a 100 usec InjDelay. But i wont know until after i've burned a few tanks.

Good luck.

P.S. kick yourself for not following through with this 2 years ago.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 337
Thanks: 4
Thanked 37 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Hmm, it is displaying mpg, but no "light blue wire" for the fuel consumption signal?
I always like how speedometers are 1/2 useful and 1/2 wasted space. 160mph for that TDI? That's a little overkill.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 337
Thanks: 4
Thanked 37 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdigger View Post
Quick answer for you, nick:

Add a wire to your T68 ecu harness connector, at pin #9. I recommend you de-pin one from a junk yard harness, and add it to yours. (Note: depinning VW harnesses is a b-word). Now run it through a rubber plug in the firewall, near the fuse block. You'll need to remove the 100k resistor from your mpguino, because the signal is low-voltage and does not need to be pulled down. Keep the zener, though.

Next, get your VSS signal from the blue/white (or white/blue) wire at W/1 on the fuse/junction block. It's a 12v-0v signal, so keep the corresponding 100k resistor on the 'guino.

Set your InjTrg to 1 (Rising). As for other settings, i haven't calibrated mine yet. My ballpark guess is around 13000 VSS/mile, and 170,000,000 usec/gal, with maybe a 100 usec InjDelay. But i wont know until after i've burned a few tanks.

Good luck.

P.S. kick yourself for not following through with this 2 years ago.
What is pin 9 on the ecu? Is that the fuel consumption wire that was never run to the dash on the US 1999.5+ tdi?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #50 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: terra firma
Posts: 138
Thanks: 4
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
yep. the MFA signal. 99+ don't have it? Mine didn't have the wire either, but i added it to the harness, and now i'm getting it from the ecu. Isn't there a thread on here about someone's 2001? Maybe that's the one that devolved into speculation of using the Lift Sensor, or this or that other signal.

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
News: VW to unveil 70 mpg (US) Golf diesel hybrid MetroMPG Hybrids 27 06-29-2010 07:50 AM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com