Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Cross wind solutions to motorcycle Streamliners? -- NO HELMET discussion

Hi P-hack,

I didn't mean to imply your were trying to start a helmet safety thread hijack but I wanted to throw ice water on anyone trying to. This thread is about cross wind aerodynamics and possible solutions.

I'm glad you think a Honda CBR250R is good possible base. From my search of cycles, it seems to be the best for a number of MY considerations. I have been studying how to minimally modify it by hacking off the rear frame and changing the airbox to allow a lower seat.

Back to Cross wind solutions to motorcycle Streamliners?

-- Teri

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
I wasn't trying to start a helmet safety thread, I use mine for comfort in the winter and rain, and like to feel the wind in my hair in the summer, it's like a convertible

Last edited by Teri_TX; 03-04-2014 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: opps! on wording
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-04-2014, 07:25 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
I dunno, probably the "best" solution, since a streamlined bike is like a cantilevered wing in even a bit of crosswind is some sort of high up control surface in the tail (nose?) plus appropriate consideration of the torque moments and demands on the traction points, plus some way to control it under various conditions. "fly" it (vertically) through the crosswinds.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:38 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Active control surfaces

Hi P-Hack,

Are you suggesting active counter measures like "fly by wire". I had thought of this in a moment of madness. If we had military or NASA budgets, that might be a possible solution. Think of the F-117. Besides, do we really want a bunch of code monkeys designing active control systems for our streamliners? Fighter jocks volunteer and get paid to risk their lives on monkey code. Unfortunately, if you fly on a modern airliner, you're a potential victim of bad code. I haven't flown since before 11 Sept 2001 and don't plan to. Apologies in advance to the real code monkeys among the readers.

Once, when I was looking at Vetter's long tail, a trim tab came to mind but he routinely rides through areas of rapidly shifting side wind directions, a worst case situation. A trim tab may be an option for some conditions but be aware of situation changes!

I have tried to think of how an active spoiler system could be implemented but nothing remotely simple comes to mind. Stall strips are the simplest solution I presently know of. Remember, K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple, Stupid)

Passive automatic means are best for reliability in the real world.

-- Teri

Quote:
I dunno, probably the "best" solution, since a streamlined bike is like a cantilevered wing in even a bit of crosswind is some sort of high up control surface in the tail (nose?) plus appropriate consideration of the torque moments and demands on the traction points, plus some way to control it under various conditions. "fly" it (vertically) through the crosswinds.

Last edited by Teri_TX; 03-04-2014 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: added explanation of K.I.S.S. for non-Americans
Old 03-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I hope you are not calling me mad or stupid... You wanted this to be an intelligent discussion, that is the intelligent approach, and I doubt even a million monkeys with a million keyboards will stumble on the right code.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:52 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

But if you are a software luddite (2014, hello!!) there may be passive control possibilities using control surfaces too.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:20 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Code Monkeys

Hi P-Hack,

I'm not a software luddite but having done some programming in my career (only as a side activity as a design engineer), I am fully aware of unknown software bugs and their unintended consequences. I know and have known code monkeys who are clueless about what they are really trying to do. Beautiful and gorgeous GUI's and artistic code are more important than true functionality. Example, Airbus knew how to control their A330 with the loss of air speed indicators and their instructors know the procedure. Now, why wasn't that procedure automatically offered to the (inexperienced) co-pilots of AF447 by the software (SW)? The control software just bailed out when they needed it the most. There may be extenuating reasons but I have a hard time imagining I'm the only one that sees what should have been done. I wonder if the latest version of the SW has fixed this?

Enough of this thread drift unless you can offer how it can be implemented.

-- Teri

Quote:
But if you are a software luddite (2014, hello!!) there may be passive control possibilities using control surfaces too.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:21 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yella Peril - '80 Mercedes 240D sedan
I've been chatting with Teri on this subject and am of the opinion that for the kind of riding I normally do ANY tendency to veer from a fluke cross wind would be very dangerous. In heavy highway traffic big rigs generate very complicated gusts . Having a sudden lift applied in that situation would not be good.

I've come to the conclusion that a straight sided fairing ( no convex surface) but with a flat taper to the rear might solve this problem but at the cost of aero efficiency.The front would have a wedge shape vaguely reminiscent of this photo posted earlier http://bikeweb.com/files/images/royce-578.preview.jpg .
Gentle rounding to reduce drag but no convex surfaces . As can be seen in the photo, the flat sided shape lends itself quite well to closing "doors" on the sides but probably with foot opening down low.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:42 AM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teri_TX View Post
code monkeys
I am a programmer for a living, I am not a lower primate. There are stupid people in every discipline. The F117 first flew 33 YEARS ago.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:56 AM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yella Peril - '80 Mercedes 240D sedan
Fellas. Fresh start , this thread could be quite useful .Teri thread drift happens . Live with it and if necessary redirect politely.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:46 AM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Rude people

Peter,

I'll ignore him. Like I said in our original PM, I generally dislike posting on forums because of such people.

Back to topic.

-- Teri

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
aerodynamics, allert, vetter fuel challenge, wind tunnel testing