Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #61 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
If you have something better to compare then I'm all ears. Do they even coast down test these alterations?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-13-2014, 04:18 PM   #62 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

While I do coast down tests on my fairings, a 30 ft. elevation change in 0.1 mile, cross wind tests are done on the open road changing directions every few blocks. If I want the worst case scenario I cross one of the bridges over the Chemung river.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:11 PM   #63 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yella Peril - '80 Mercedes 240D sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
That is brand new. I have ridden with Craig for two years and never saw that strip. Any storm strip would have to run up the nose because the point of max lift of a wing is toward the max thickness. Which he has already taken care of by venting any pressure differential through the leg opening. That rear placement would be some kind of different concept and seems like it is spoiling the wrong end if he wants to have a long tail in the first place. I saw another attempt at a streamliner which had a similar knife edge along the top of the tail and it was prone to oscillation. At which point the aero experts here recommended that a rounded top would be the way to go.
The vented streamliners are exceptional in crosswinds already as they are. No need to change them unless you try to fully enclose them. Riding behind Alan on the highway, the stability of his Vetter streamliner in rough truck wakes is uncanny. The bike is invisible to the wind. The Hayes diesel bike with the land speed bodywork was all over the road.
Done !
Old 03-13-2014, 10:28 PM   #64 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ninjette - '05 kawasaki EX250
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
Jeff, where abouts on yours ? I can make it out .
Not on mine yet. Still in the building phase. I believe I will try one like Craig's when I get to riding the bike.

Jeff
Old 03-13-2014, 10:30 PM   #65 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ninjette - '05 kawasaki EX250
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
The vented streamliners are exceptional in crosswinds already as they are. No need to change them unless you try to fully enclose them. Riding behind Alan on the highway, the stability of his Vetter streamliner in rough truck wakes is uncanny. The bike is invisible to the wind. The Hayes diesel bike with the land speed bodywork was all over the road.
When I rode with Alan and Vic I also was surprised how stable both of their bikes were in a very stiff crosswind and around trucks. I was on my stock bike and was getting blown around a bit. I really think that the boat tail makes all the difference.

Jeff
Old 03-18-2014, 05:52 AM   #66 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

sr185 bullet - '81 Yamaha SR185 streamliner
Team Streamliner
90 day: 96.35 mpg (US)

Sunny Colarado - '06 Chevrolet Colarado WT
90 day: 24.18 mpg (US)

cbr250s - '12 Honda cbr250
90 day: 115.29 mpg (US)
I just found this thread, and I would be happy to test a "stall strip" on my fairing, As soon as the snow melts and my bike is back together. It should be only a week or two now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
When I rode with Alan and Vic I also was surprised how stable both of their bikes were in a very stiff crosswind and around trucks. I was on my stock bike and was getting blown around a bit. I really think that the boat tail makes all the difference.

Jeff
Alan and Vic's bikes also have one other thing in common. They are both kawasaki ninjas underneath. It would seem that weight distribution and steering geometry might be more favourable for them compared to other setups. Craigs helix is less than ideal because of its basic design ie. low center of gravity, very small wheels. These are great bikes to compare since they all have the same fairing (for the most part)
Old 03-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #67 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

It was a blustery day in the UK today, wind speed 15 mph gusting to 30, not extreme by any standards, but it gave me an opportunity to test the effects on my newly fitted fairing in small steps (See Recumbent Honda 90).

It was a little disconcerting at first, bearing in mind I was psychologically prepared for the worst. It felt a little weird because the gusts would move the bike around but without the associated wind pressure on my body.
It never felt scary or out of control, but I felt it might get like that at any moment. Probably just a confidence thing that will improve as time goes on.

Anyway, I settled in after a while and let the bike 'do its own thing' and was mindful not to overcorrect with steering input and found it does self correct to a certain extent. I'm hoping that as my confidence improves I'll find that it is directionally stable in cross winds.

In the meantime, can anyone suggest something that could be used as a stick on 'stall strip' that I could get from a local hardware store or e-bay ?
Old 03-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #68 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
piece of 1/4 plywood cut to shape and epoxied to the nose? or foam and glass matt? I don't know how rigid it needs to be, probably 1/4 inch is overkill, depending how tall it is.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #69 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the input P-hack, that would be perfect for a permanent fixture. I don't know the optimim size or location, so I thought I could experiment with a stick on plastic strip.
Does anyone know what Theo uses?
Old 03-19-2014, 02:24 AM   #70 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
Thanks for the input P-hack, that would be perfect for a permanent fixture. I don't know the optimim size or location, so I thought I could experiment with a stick on plastic strip.
Does anyone know what Theo uses?
Try clear plastic L shaped corner piece used to protect corners of sheetrock walls in houses. Comes in 8' lengths, straight but somewhat flexible.

Very cheap at Home Depot or Lowes. Stick on with two-sided carpet tape or sticky foam tape. You could add yarn tufts, record the effects with GoPro camera.

The Following User Says Thank You to Otto For This Useful Post:
Ironside (03-19-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
aerodynamics, allert, vetter fuel challenge, wind tunnel testing