Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Duke - '03 Toyota Avalon XL
90 day: 35.06 mpg (US)
30mpg stock 03 Avalon

When I was a teenager I used to beat the crap out of my car, to the point that I’m surprised my car and I are still alive. Fast forward a few years I’m in my 20s and I’m a little more conscious of my driving habits. Recently I stumbled across this website and was fascinated at the mods and driving techniques used for hypermiling. I figured I’d give it a whirl. For my baseline I’ve been getting between 18 and 24 mpg. After my first fill up I saw an imeadiate increase at 26.5 mpg. I was so exited by this drastic improvement I wanted to push it even farther. For the next tank I filled up my tires to 40psi instead of the normal 35. In addition the the hard tires I also used engine of coasting wherever it was safe to do so down hill, stoplights etc. I drove 296.7 and it only took 9.808 gallons to fill up the tank. Sitting at the gas station I quickly did the math and was astounded when I realized I just squeaked out 30.25 mpg out of my Avalon. Granted this was combined city and highway driving I didn’t believe it at first. I am very excited with these results and I think I may have found a new hobby.

The Following User Says Thank You to rLipiner For This Useful Post:
fusion210 (02-15-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-15-2019, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.95 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Decent economy for a stock Avalon!

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
Old 02-16-2019, 09:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Those are incredibly comfortable and roomy cars, too. Probably the most comfortable car I've ever driven. Nice work!

I once averaged almost 40mpg in one over a tank, but I was descending from the Rocky Mountains toward the California coast. I don't think it counts if it's all downhill.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.62 mpg (US)
Hey,
Those are damn good results in the totally-not-a-Lexus-on-the-sly Avalon. Seriously.

Let me recommend against engine off coasting, however. Automatic transmissions generally don't like it because of how the lubrication is driven; most autos, if the input shaft ain't turning, lube ain't flowing. You can get away with it for a short distance at low speeds, but EOC often goes beyond short and slow.

The big numbers are great but not at the expense of your tranny.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to elhigh For This Useful Post:
rLipiner (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 01:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Duke - '03 Toyota Avalon XL
90 day: 35.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Hey,
Those are damn good results in the totally-not-a-Lexus-on-the-sly Avalon. Seriously.

Let me recommend against engine off coasting, however. Automatic transmissions generally don't like it because of how the lubrication is driven; most autos, if the input shaft ain't turning, lube ain't flowing. You can get away with it for a short distance at low speeds, but EOC often goes beyond short and slow.

The big numbers are great but not at the expense of your tranny.
Good to know. I remember putting together an automatic tranny is shop class with all the clutch packs that had to be arranged in just the right order. I can imagine the excessive wear that would occur without proper lubrication. My next car will deff be a manual.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Check you owners manual to see if they allow flat towing, if they do that's an indicated that the tranny lube pump is driven by the output shaft. A quick search says they aren't. Only 3 Toyota's auto listed are.

Is it possible to tow my Toyota with all four wheels on the ground?

Reply  Post New Thread