Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2016, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Worth it to fix the 96 civic oil burner or just save up and get a better car?

So i've owned the civic since the end of last May and it has now turned its one year anniversary in my garage. So in typical fashion it's time to consider a new vehicle. lol
So my dilemma is, is when I got the car I bought it for 740 dollars, put time in money in on new brakes, battery, tires and wheels, cleaned the interior, fixed every electric problem except the cruise control and electric locks, new clutch and fly wheel assembly, and fixed all the leaks and seals on the motor. I'm about 1800 dollars in to the car but the next steps are the major steps:
The ac down right sucks ass in this car. Brand new compressor, vacuumed and recharged by Honda. It's hasn't even hit 90 yet in Humid and sunny Arkansas and it doesn't feel like it even works. Next, the car consumes oil like crazy because the rings are gone (1qt/*up to 400mi optimistically). And the car needs a fender, hood, and a complete body work and paint job.
Now I can get the materials to do the paint job, but more than likely i'm just not going attempt a ring job, and I would kind of like a car that has a functioning AC that doesn't eat 5mpg every time I turn it on.
In the last month i've gone from driving 14k/yr to 25k/yr so Im thinking instead spending 750 on a reman engine, and more on a paint job turning my sub 2000 dollar car into an above 3000 dollar car i should just sell it and try to get my money back and invest in a either a:
2004 Toyota Prius
2003 Honda Civic Hybrid 5mt
Thoughts?
I'm also averaging 40mpg combined without using the AC and the car consume a quart every 400 miles. Just not my cup of tea but I figured this seems to be the favorite car on here so i thought I'd see if you guys would consider it worth saving versus just spending a pinch extra for a better car.
Appreciate any responses from the Ecomodder family!

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-14-2016, 01:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
If you get either of those cars you will inherit their problems because they are also old, old cars. Batteries are costly. Instead finish what you started and got deep into. Skip the paint, and solve the oil loss. Tint your windows DARK with good heat rejecting tint, to improve AC function. That's my thought, but I have been driving the same 1998 Civic since 2001 (240k miles on it now, and I am replacing a few more seals to stop an oil leak).
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Reconditioned battery packs are about the cost of fixing the ring issue lol. Thia car needs either a: rotating assembly w/ new rings and a rehone to fix the cylinder sealing issue 500, or a reman engine 1000. A reconditioned battery for a prius is ~$650. And dark tint just ain't my thing no more.
I guess I could buy the reman engine and sell my current engine and that could be plausible. Engine runs fine just consumes 20w50 and gas at a literal 40:1 mix like a two stroke.

Last edited by hayden55; 06-14-2016 at 09:56 AM..
Old 06-14-2016, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
Reconditioned battery packs are about the cost of fixing the ring issue lol. Thia car needs either a: rotating assembly w/ new rings and a rehone to fix the cylinder sealing issue 500, or a reman engine 1000. A reconditioned battery for a prius is ~$650. And dark tint just ain't my thing no more.
I guess I could buy the reman engine and sell my current engine and that could be plausible. Engine runs fine just consumes 20w50 and gas at a literal 40:1 mix like a two stroke.
That $650 figure for a new battery is unrealistically low, if you want one that will work. But just as importantly, hat 12 year old Prius also has a asoline engine and all the other parts to fail/age that your Civic has. So you will sell your current car at a loss, then take on a new mystery vehicle and start dumping money into it. I sense that you really WANT to get another car. That'legitimate. Go get it. But your cheaper route, now that you are into this current car for a significant bundle of cash, is to stick it out. Do the rings. If super dark tint is not your thing get the heat rejecting tint (which is diffeent than the cheap stuff) without the super dark. I got 35% on my front windows. You can see through the car, but the heat difference on my skin is remarkable.

Whatever you do, enjoy how you spend your cash and time...

james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
My 2004 Civic Hybrid is wonderful, but the battery packs are notoriously weak. You can still drive one with a pack on the fritz, but they tend to die much more quickly in the south; heat is the enemy of batteries.

Since you've already sunk money into it, that changes the economics a bit, but I'm generally more inclined to buy a $3,000 car that needs nothing (was the price of my HCH1) than a $750 car that needs $3,000 in work.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

True. And yes I've looked into 3m crystalline. For 70% tint all the way around 440 plus tax. Shoooo...
But it is looking like there is a couple curve balls in the mix. For the most part I don't have enough time on my hands to take on a serious engine rebuild, but dropping my engine out and throwing it on craigslist is an option and then getting the reman and bolting it in. I can pretty much take on all the smaller projects but the price of the engine and AC problem kinda makes you wonder if its better to seperate from the cheap car and get something else. Another curve ball is that pack quote was w/o a warranty lol.
I know that if I did sell this car that I COULD more than likely break even pretty easily. I've got all the receipts so i'll have to just go check. But yeah a prius that looks like a nice respectable car and has a hatch versus the current one is pretty appetizing the current one definitely looks twenty years old.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
It's not too hard to find a clean, $3,000 car without too many miles and working A/C, so that really might be the way to go.

EDIT: It doesn't necessarily have to be a hybrid. You might find a clean HX or 5MT Corolla that better fits the bill.

I'm a big fan of hybrids though, and you can probably find a 5MT Insight in that price range.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

VanDelay - '89 Ford Econoline E-150 XL
90 day: 15.93 mpg (US)

Old White Civic - '98 Honda Civic LX, AT
90 day: 33.18 mpg (US)
There's a guy in White Hall or Redfield (same area) who deals a lot in hybrids. He buys and sells them on Little Rock Craigslist. Might be a resource for a car or batteries, etc.

I'd keep the Honda, a known entity, and make repairs as possible/necessary. You've put the money and time into tires, brakes, etc but could be starting over at zero or worse on a new car in the same areas. An oil burner isn't really such a big deal to drive (I have a history in Isuzu's so I know of which I speak) and a ring job is just a Saturday-worth of work on a 4 cyl. A dingle-ball hone rental and set of rings is cheap and you already know and like the rest of the car. Paint and bodywork are a) not required b) temporary and c) feasible. Especially with Pick-n-Pulls being full of these cars and the one in Cabot, AR being half-price on everything till they close for renovations.

Automotive A/C isn't that complicated. If you'd like to discuss getting yours to function better let me know. I'm in Little Rock, btw.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliamshs View Post
. Especially with Pick-n-Pulls being full of these cars and the one in Cabot, AR being half-price on everything till they close for renovations.

Automotive A/C isn't that complicated. If you'd like to discuss getting yours to function better let me know. I'm in Little Rock, btw.
Hey thanks man. I'll have to PM you. Seems like a great resource in my area.
Im looking into getting 3m crystalline put on just the drivers side window since I drive and hour and a half mon-fri at 6am and 5pm so that should block 90% of direct heat and 50% total window sun transfer. Whatever the hell they are actually called. Its a start to we'll see after my appt Fri. 85$ for one widow��
Old 06-14-2016, 04:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

VanDelay - '89 Ford Econoline E-150 XL
90 day: 15.93 mpg (US)

Old White Civic - '98 Honda Civic LX, AT
90 day: 33.18 mpg (US)
I requested a quote from a big-name place here in LR this week, haven't heard back. Looked into pre-cut kits online too. Several places offer a full kit of precut ceramic in the $100 ballpark. I've tinted before and the back window is the only hassle because it's harder to get to and needs to be heat-shrunk to fit the curve. If you're just looking to do side windows I'd strongly consider DIY. The $ saved on installation could get better film on more windows.

Reply  Post New Thread