Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #31 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
Seriously, we do airflow testing here at work and some stuff comes out the exact opposite of what you'd think. I obviously can't go into detail. Just be aware that in many aero circumstances, how a thing looks has little bearing on how it actually works. If you're trying something that deviates from conventional wisdom, you need to test it.
Can you give me any examples? Just whisper into my microphone--I mean, my ear!

I think that it was Aerohead that said that in a windtunnel, the air going over the trunk of a 914 actually flowed forward!

Stuff like that?

I have seen this diagram several times lately and when Aerohead shared it in http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...rag-25845.html I responded:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I guess that "filling the wake" still helps, even if we do not maintain attached flow.
and he answered:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Yes,it looks like even a compromised aft-body will still provide some drag reducing potential as with Chrysler's experiments with their De Soto Airflow test mule demonstrated.
Their 'fast' rearend helped get the Cd 0.51 of the orig. car down to Cd 0.244.
Not too shabby for 1934!

You guys seem to have agreed that attached flow is not enough, but would you have even that much if the angle is too steep?

The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
ECONORAM (12-22-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Gumby - '97 Geo Metro
90 day: 58.53 mpg (US)
Hey kach22i, I never actually said my goal was to just keep the air attached... My goal is just to make it most effecient and get the most MPG, no matter how I do it... so that mainly what im asking, is just is it set up to get the most mpg, air attached or not, id like to know how but that why I was asking you guys cause yall know more about that.... I believe aerodynamics means a lot to my car especially because 90% of my miles are interstate and I drive a lot.... so any more info is appreciated but I will by lifting it slightly while I also extend it and give it a nice curve... I will post pictures then. BTW... my vision is not restricted at all even when I extend it the majory of the whole middle part (non-curved) is a big sheet of lexan... and its clean lol SORRY THIS POST IS ONE HUGE SENTENCE
Partial kamback (in progress)
Headlight covers molded into bumper
Rear underbody tray (suspension to bumper)
Windows tinted 35% NOT PICTURED
Old 05-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
....Next time, if you're thinking about using the template improperly, just STOP and think about what you're doing.
Tyler, next time you feel like coming off as some snotty kid and know it all, just stop and think about it - seriously.

There have been several recent postings on the late 1970's and early 1980's work NASA did at out at Dryden. It's information like this which investigates things outside an idealized 3D shape which I find most useful to our DIY backyard applications on real world vehicles.

The Dryden truncated boattail has been discussed many times in this forum without anyone suggesting the that template is in error. I don't see why it cannot be done again.

One of many NASA/Dryden PDF's posted in the forum:
Access forbidden!

Photo Gallery on several of their research projects"
NASA - Dryden Image Gallery

EDIT-1 ............image added:
Automobile 2 - Odds And Ends Photos by kach22i | Photobucket

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html

Last edited by kach22i; 05-22-2013 at 07:15 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to kach22i For This Useful Post:
blowncopcar (05-23-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
steep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Can you give me any examples? Just whisper into my microphone--I mean, my ear!

I think that it was Aerohead that said that in a windtunnel, the air going over the trunk of a 914 actually flowed forward!

Stuff like that?

I have seen this diagram several times lately and when Aerohead shared it in http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...rag-25845.html I responded:

and he answered:

You guys seem to have agreed that attached flow is not enough, but would you have even that much if the angle is too steep?
If the contour is steeper than the 'Template' it puts the boundary layer in a very precarious position.The sudden pressure rise will trigger separation and your wake begins right there,with a tremendously low base pressure,killing you with pressure drag.
The 1922 Klemperer' streamlined brick runs a 'fast' rear contour but it won't go below Cd 0.15.It's right at 22-degrees and it gets there pretty fast.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowncopcar View Post
Hey kach22i, I never actually said my goal was to just keep the air attached... My goal is just to make it most effecient and get the most MPG, no matter how I do it...
If you can do some rolling down a hill coasting test I'd like to see your numbers on the original stock car, with roof spoiler added and roof spoiler with leading edge air-slot of about an inch.

See my roof wing thread in my signature below to get an idea why.

1977 Porsche 911s Targa

Chin Spoiler:

Roof Wing
Old 05-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #36 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
Kach, apply the template however you want for yourself. When you apply it wrong in open forum, don't expect us all to fall all over ourselves heaping praise on you for your insightful genius. I have patiently tried numerous times to explain where your thinking is in error. Your post #33 is proving to me that you disregard what I say and are unwilling to listen to anyone but yourself. I'm done trying to help you.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChazInMT For This Useful Post:
Sven7 (05-23-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazInMT View Post
Kach, apply the template however you want for yourself. When you apply it wrong in open forum, don't expect us all to fall all over ourselves heaping praise on you for your insightful genius. I have patiently tried numerous times to explain where your thinking is in error. Your post #33 is proving to me that you disregard what I say and are unwilling to listen to anyone but yourself. I'm done trying to help you.
ChazInMT, I never said that you were wrong, Tyler was wrong or the aero template was wrong - remember that.

I've stated that rescaling the template for smaller scale protrusions like the Gurney Bubble works and achieved agreement.

The earlier +2005 Mustang example also caused some people to rethink how the template could be interpreted.

The trailing edge roof spoilers on econoboxes and the roof garnish on pick-up trucks also seems to be cases where increasing the angle of inclination over that of the aero-template (at full scale) works.

At some point you have to admit my discovery of a connection between the template and rescaling has validity. One size in fact does not fit all.

You have seen and noted several Japanese hybrids veering from the idealized 3D aero shape at least in profile, and this raised a question. This very question I have attempted to answer with rescaling exercises.

If you cannot see what is before you, then you are surely blind.

Automobile 2 - Odds And Ends Photos by kach22i | Photobucket

How much more obvious can I make it?

The aero-template works.

Rescaling the aero-template works to some degree, but it is not the maximized application of this tool.

EDIT-1:

A more detailed examination of this body style and rescaling of template.

http://s184.photobucket.com/user/kac...?sort=3&page=1

1977 Porsche 911s Targa

Chin Spoiler:

Roof Wing

Last edited by kach22i; 05-23-2013 at 09:18 AM..
Old 05-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
I try reason and it just bounces off. I'm going to try one more time. This is the last one.

-Gurney bubbles and trailer A/C unit are not applied to the trailing edge of the vehicle.

-New hybrids are designed as entire vehicles, where the designers are able to tweak and test virtually any part or surface of the vehicle.

-There are more factors in overall Cd than the center profile. Tumblehome, mirrors, plan taper... many if not all of these are adjusted and tinkered with in the design phase of high-efficiency cars.

-The only thing the OP is changing is the trailing edge of the greenhouse.

-You're taking a lot of liberties with the NASA truck, suggesting in one image that it is simply 22 degrees and in another that it matches a scaled template.

-The Volkswagen Golf was designed in the early 70's and was by no means an aerodynamic masterpiece. Picking apart the exact curvature from a non-orthographic image is pedantic.

-I've listened to reports from the aero lab at work and can tell you the car needs to be considered as a whole, not just some 30cm long segment on the back of the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazInMT View Post
Yep.

Last edited by Sven7; 05-23-2013 at 06:53 PM..
Old 05-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowncopcar View Post
is it set up to get the most mpg
Not yet; you'll want to do this. Seven degrees on the top.

And yeah, the longer the better. When you revise it post up some more pics!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sven7 For This Useful Post:
blowncopcar (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #40 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I will repeat that filling the wake seems to provide benefits, but should not achieve the full potential.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
angle, degrees, kammback, metro, plexiglass