Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2011, 08:04 AM   #201 (permalink)
EV Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlequin2 View Post
That should be 5/9 not 5/8. Typo? So that's 1.25% conversion error. Now, if you had used proper units in the first place, the conversion error would be from Celsius to Fahrenheit (:-)
Yes, was a typo. Happens when I try to squeeze these posts in during work
Won't even get into the C vs F debate. Suffice to say, 49 years raised on the Fahrenheit system is a hard habit to break. Everything from home thermostats to the weather reports are in F here in the states. And this did start as a personal project after all
If you want to eliminate the 1.25% conversion error you could always redo the lookup tables for C. Don't know if it's really worthwhile though in light of the other tolerance errors.
A very popular temperature IC that I and other engineers have used over the years is the national semi LM50. That was labeled as "precision" and had an error of +/-2degC at room temp and +/-4degC over full scale.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-30-2011, 09:46 AM   #202 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

ianbartie. Have you mailed any of the new PCB's yet?

Alvin
Old 04-30-2011, 05:53 PM   #203 (permalink)
EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyguy View Post
Yes, was a typo. Happens when I try to squeeze these posts in during work
Won't even get into the C vs F debate. Suffice to say, 49 years raised on the Fahrenheit system is a hard habit to break. Everything from home thermostats to the weather reports are in F here in the states. And this did start as a personal project after all
If you want to eliminate the 1.25% conversion error you could always redo the lookup tables for C. Don't know if it's really worthwhile though in light of the other tolerance errors.
A very popular temperature IC that I and other engineers have used over the years is the national semi LM50. That was labeled as "precision" and had an error of +/-2degC at room temp and +/-4degC over full scale.
I reckon it is quite accurate enough as it is. Now that I have eliminated my heat source, its within a degree or so of my thermometer - at least at room temp - so that'll do nicely. I guess you'd have to be unlucky for all the tolerances/errors to be just one way.
This country converted to the metric system about 50 years ago, so we have had time to get used to it!
Old 04-30-2011, 06:15 PM   #204 (permalink)
VW Polo EV

Lcd pcb

Hi Alvin
Yours left on the 21-4. They should be pretty close to you now.
Regards
Ian
Old 04-30-2011, 07:48 PM   #205 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I did not know where you were. I do now. That's a long way from here.
Thanks
Alvin
Old 04-30-2011, 09:17 PM   #206 (permalink)
EV Builder

Hey everyone, got back from the EV-ent in Macungie and it was bigger and better than ever! I was about to upload pictures but found this thread by Nevyn who pretty much got all the same shots I did-
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post235304

As luck would have it, a VERY kind gentleman overheard me talking about how my conversion was done, but I couldn't bring it since I was still waiting for registration and plates. A local autodealer, he gave me his dealer plates with registration card and told me it could be tranfered to any car (card said "transferable"). I ran home, slapped them on my rabbit EV and ran it back to the show! It's on one of the pics in Nevyn's thread (Rabbit convertible with blacktop and tangerine pearlcoat paint job behind the comuta-car). Drew a bit of a crowd as you can see!

They also had a ribbon cutting ceremony for the installation of a free public EV charging station (120V only).

-Chris
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freyguy For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (04-30-2011), mrbigh (04-30-2011), Nevyn (05-01-2011)
Old 04-30-2011, 11:14 PM   #207 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Awesome Chris!!! I'm so glad you got to bring your car. Man, I can't believe how polished all the EVs are. The wiring looks perfect. I have a curse of "form doesn't follow function. Form is nothing and got flushed down the toilet 20 years ago." It's not a deliberate philosophy of life. It just happens. haha.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #208 (permalink)
EV Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
Awesome Chris!!! I'm so glad you got to bring your car. Man, I can't believe how polished all the EVs are. The wiring looks perfect. I have a curse of "form doesn't follow function. Form is nothing and got flushed down the toilet 20 years ago." It's not a deliberate philosophy of life. It just happens. haha.
Thanks Paul!
Hey, don't think all the EV's there were that polished. Nevyn posted the "eye-catchers". There were a few there where the layouts weren't that clean.
But the bottom line is that all of the conversions where done by individuals with a passion to become fossil fuel free, and certainly that's what counts

I added a few more pics to Nevyn's thread including Adam's charger and a video of the ribbon cutting ceremony for the public charging station.

-Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to Freyguy For This Useful Post:
Nevyn (05-02-2011)
Old 05-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #209 (permalink)
AC-DC enthusiast

Dual-PWR PHEV - '04 Toyota Prius

Kopper - '79 Bradley Bradley GT-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyguy View Post
Thanks Paul!
Hey, don't think all the EV's there were that polished. Nevyn posted the "eye-catchers". There were a few there where the layouts weren't that clean.
But the bottom line is that all of the conversions where done by individuals with a passion to become fossil fuel free, and certainly that's what counts

I added a few more pics to Nevyn's thread including Adam's charger and a video of the ribbon cutting ceremony for the public charging station.

-Chris
I was wondering who's charger like equipment where in the pictures..
Now we know.
Nice Rabbit by the way..
. . . . . . . .CALCars # 27. . . . . . . . . . ..on the works now !!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . ........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrbigh For This Useful Post:
adamj12b (05-02-2011), Freyguy (05-01-2011)
Old 05-02-2011, 12:51 AM   #210 (permalink)
dwffy

pc boards

ianbartie
Hi there,
Do you have any pc boards left, if so can I buy one.
Could you also let me know how to make payment etc.
Thanks,
Doug

Reply  Post New Thread