Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2011, 12:26 AM   #361 (permalink)
VW Polo EV

There are 4 boards now. Still not enough yet unfortunately.
The cost is in post #362 in AU dollars. Check with a currency converter for US dollars.
I could do a run of 4 or 5 boards but the cost per board would easily double.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #362 (permalink)
ManofGod

Cougar Instrumentation PC Board

I would take 1 board at or about that price when you get enough people to have a few made. Just let me know as soon as you are ready.
Thanks
Old 07-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #363 (permalink)
ManofGod

Cougar Troubleshooting!

I appreciate the help with my programming issue but it seems that I have another problem after getting the chip programmed. When I power it up I get the SOC screen and then the volt/bamp screen. At this point I can't change screens or do anything. The green LED is flashing and I changed the refresh speed to see if that could have been the problem but no luck, I also changed from manual to auto. When I did this I still got one screen and then the other but it never moved from the second screen. The green led dosen't come on when in auto mode. When I power up the green led come on flashing and the SOC screen comes up and without me doing anything the volts/bamp screen comes up and that's all it will do when I change back to manual. Does this make any sense at all?
Old 07-31-2011, 10:48 AM   #364 (permalink)
EV Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brose View Post
I appreciate the help with my programming issue but it seems that I have another problem after getting the chip programmed. When I power it up I get the SOC screen and then the volt/bamp screen. At this point I can't change screens or do anything. The green LED is flashing and I changed the refresh speed to see if that could have been the problem but no luck, I also changed from manual to auto. When I did this I still got one screen and then the other but it never moved from the second screen. The green led dosen't come on when in auto mode. When I power up the green led come on flashing and the SOC screen comes up and without me doing anything the volts/bamp screen comes up and that's all it will do when I change back to manual. Does this make any sense at all?
Hi Bill. The green led should only be flashing if you are in charge mode. Since you don't mention that screen, the only thing left is a compiling/programming problem. I assume you are using the file for the 2480? Did you try using the method in my manual vs Ian's quickbuild? By opening the project, the proper PIC device is already selected along with the correct ASM and INCLUDE files.
I might also suggest just programming using my default files without and kind of rebuild. I do a build when I release it so the hex file (used to actually program the device) is already there. Then see if the screens at least function properly. I put together a quick programming how-to here:

BTW- If you ever find yourself in charge mode during normal battery discharge operation, then VR1 (bAmp offset) needs to be readjusted since it thinks the amps are negative (flowing in opposite direction). This is irrelevant though if you are using the bAmp from serial input from controller.

-Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to Freyguy For This Useful Post:
Brose (07-31-2011)
Old 07-31-2011, 10:10 PM   #365 (permalink)
ManofGod

Program problems?

Ok, here goes. First of all I am testing this without any inputs from batteries. I am just programming it and applying 12 vdc from a power supply. When I apply power the volts mamps bamps screen comes up with no green light and then it switches to the ctime amps soc screen without me doing any thing. The green light comes on flashing on this screen. I don't get a third screen of temps. Do I need to connect the inputs to the LCD to test it? Hope this doesn't sound too stupid but this is where I am at. I have tried programming with quick rebuild with no changes. I appreciate any help.

Bill
Old 08-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #366 (permalink)
EV Builder

OK, so you are getting the charge mode screen. Normal operation is that it will start with the volt/amp screen, then if it sees a negative bAmp over 3 amps, it will enter charge mode screen. If you have bAmp source set to hall sensor (Sysval bit 2=0), AND you have no hall sensor attached, bAmp will appear negative. I suggest setting bAmp source to serial message for now. Once you have it plugged into a hall sensor (should you choose that option) you can change it back. With hall sensor attached you will need to adjust VR1 since it may still jump to the charge screen without any charge current present. Initial battery amp/VR1 setting is described in page 4 of latest manual.
And yes, in charge mode SW1 is ignored and you are locked into charge screen.

-Chris

Last edited by Freyguy; 08-01-2011 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: needed to address no hall sensor input
Brose (08-01-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #367 (permalink)
ManofGod

Trying everything on my LCD!

Well. on the charge screen the bamps show 29. I have tried to adjust them with VR1 as per instructions on page 4 of the manual. I can;t get the amps to change at all. Any thoughts? I am using connection 1 and 2 on TP1 to power the board, Is this OK?
Old 08-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #368 (permalink)
EV Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brose View Post
Well. on the charge screen the bamps show 29. I have tried to adjust them with VR1 as per instructions on page 4 of the manual. I can;t get the amps to change at all. Any thoughts? I am using connection 1 and 2 on TP1 to power the board, Is this OK?
Charge mode will only register charge amps up to 29. Since you have no hall sensor plugged in the op amp output is railed and no amount of adjustment with VR1 will bring it back less than 29. As I said before, for now (bench testing) set the bAmp source to external serial. To do that Sysval bit 2 would be set to a 1. Once you have a hall sensor plugged in (and only then) can you set bAmp source back to hall sensor and readjust VR1. OK?
Brose (08-01-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 10:45 PM   #369 (permalink)
ManofGod

Still trying to adjust the bamps to get out of charge mode

You are probably wanting to say forget it, but, I really appreciate your help on this project. I have reprogramed so that bamp source is serial but even after doing that it doesn't matter how much I adjust VR1 I can't make the amps change from 29.

Thanks,

Bill 479-883-5279
Old 08-02-2011, 05:25 AM   #370 (permalink)
VW Polo EV

Do you have a controller attached to the display?
If yes, then:
Is the controller set to output serial messages?
Do you have controller TX connected to Display RX & Controller RX connected to Display TX?
Does the controller & the display share a common ground?

From memory, & Chris can correct me if I am wrong, on the bench with nothing connected to the display at all you should see 0 for pack volts, mAmps & bAmps. SOC could be anything but if you held down SW1 during power up you should have seen RESETTING SOC & the SOC would show 100%.
The charge screen should not come up at all using serial input.
AccV will show your 12V input & the motor temp, cont temp & batt temp will all show the same value.
Neither of the LEDs should be lit.
SW1 of the switches will let you cycle through the screens.
SW2 held down on power up will force a 20% SOC to show on the screen.
VR1 has no effect if the bAmps source is the serial message.

Brose (08-02-2011)
Reply  Post New Thread