Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #41 (permalink)
AC-DC enthusiast

Dual-PWR PHEV - '04 Toyota Prius

Kopper - '79 Bradley Bradley GT-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlequin2 View Post
Well, that's 4 so far, including me. Sounds like enough interest to place an order. I have a PayPal account somewhere, probably you can pay that, but I'll wait until they give me an exact price (from the Gerber files) and also the postage then let you know.
Also waiting to hear back from Chris to see if the pcb outfit he used will sell us boards and at what price - I won't place the order until we hear.
I'm in for 2 PCB also
Now, which is the supplier for the LCD display?

. . . . . . . .CALCars # 27. . . . . . . . . . ..on the works now !!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . ........
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #42 (permalink)
EV Builder

Mr Bigh,
You can get it here-
Orient Display AMC1602B-D-Y6NFDY 2x16 Character Lcd Display Module - Electronic Inventory Online

It's also in the BOM along with the other components. Send me a pm with your email and I'll give you all the info required for the project.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #43 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyguy View Post
John,
RS232 @ 19.2k baud, should be good up to 25ft. Use good shielded cable and you'll be fine. Use a low capacitance shielded cable and you could extend that to several 100ft.
-Chris
Chris
Thanks for the reassurance. It will be great to have this information at my fingertips.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #44 (permalink)
EV Builder

Bom update

All,
Minor update to the BOM. Forgot to add header J1. I imagine most would be powering +12Vin through the terminal block so they may not need J1 anyway.
I use it since I already have a crimping tool for the mating molex connector.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Cougar LCD Instrumentation Board BOM.xls (27.0 KB, 49 views)
Old 02-28-2011, 01:50 AM   #45 (permalink)
EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
PCBCart leadtime is either 8 days or 12 days (12 is cheaper). And they are never late (except during the chinese new year). Also, their shipping is SUPER fast, around 2-3 days to the U.S.
Yeah, they aren't too bad. I have added that up to 10 boards already - correct me if I'm wrong. So I'll get an order underway for 15 as there are bound to be a few more. When I receive them, I'm going to build mine before I send off to the others so I can be FIRST!!!!!
I have a PICkit2 so I can program the chips too. If anyone wants to buy already programmed micros let me know and I'll get a few extra.

Last edited by harlequin2; 02-28-2011 at 02:59 AM.. Reason: drunk when typing, hit wrong keys
Old 02-28-2011, 02:57 AM   #46 (permalink)
EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
PCBCart leadtime is either 8 days or 12 days (12 is cheaper). And they are never late (except during the chinese new year). Also, their shipping is SUPER fast, around 2-3 days to the U.S.
I've been reading all this stuff for a while now and one thing I am not too sure about: Paul, do you actually have an EV?
If not, you must be the ultimate voyeurist!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:21 AM   #47 (permalink)
EV Builder

Quote:
Yeah, they aren't too bad. I have added that up to 10 boards already - correct me if I'm wrong. So I'll get an order underway for 15 as there are bound to be a few more. When I receive them, I'm going to build mine before I send off to the others so I can be FIRST!!!!!
I have a PICkit2 so I can program the chips too. If anyone wants to buy already programmed micros let me know and I'll get a few extra.
Programming for others would be involved. Individualized settings make it so:
-Traction battery capacity
-Peukert exponent
-MTE setting for particular EV (pmile parameter)
-vpack trim to compensate for individual U5 transfer gain tolerance
-profiles

And you will most likely find yourself needing to go back and "tweak" some of these values for better tracking accuracy.

Preprogrammed PICs would be fine to get someone started so they can see that their assembly efforts were successful, but builders should definitely consider investing in the PICKIT2 (or clone).

BTW-Like the reason for your edit
Old 02-28-2011, 08:45 AM   #48 (permalink)
EV Builder

Quote:
I've been reading all this stuff for a while now and one thing I am not too sure about: Paul, do you actually have an EV?
If not, you must be the ultimate voyeurist!
harlequin2,
I've asked him that myself. He always says he's got the converted beetle, but it doesn't have a controller anymore. Kind hearted soul that he is, everytime he builds one, he ships it off to someone else in need!

Then again, maybe he's just holding out for his 1000A version so he can pop wheelies with that sucker!!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #49 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
haha. Ya, I have an EV. And yes I don't have a controller for it. And I've been using all 6 of its batteries in the garage for testing.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #50 (permalink)
EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyguy View Post
Programming for others would be involved. Individualized settings make it so:
-Traction battery capacity
-Peukert exponent
-MTE setting for particular EV (pmile parameter)
-vpack trim to compensate for individual U5 transfer gain tolerance
-profiles

And you will most likely find yourself needing to go back and "tweak" some of these values for better tracking accuracy.

Preprogrammed PICs would be fine to get someone started so they can see that their assembly efforts were successful, but builders should definitely consider investing in the PICKIT2 (or clone).

BTW-Like the reason for your edit

Yes, you are quite right, I should've thought of that. Didn't, probably the same reason for my edit. But it's morning now and all is very clear!
It would be nice to add something to enable these parameters to be set up via the serial port using something like RTD Explorer. Something for someone to have a look at! Have to build one first and also finish a 1000A controller, so its a wee way down my list.
Order sent off to PCBCART today - for 15 pcbs.

Invoice value $185.88 NZ dollars, including postage. I think the airmail small packet rate from NZ to USA is $NZ7.50 so that makes the cost per board, sent to the US, pretty much $NZ20. (Approx $US15)
Anyone who wants 1 (or more), my PayPal account is at harlequin2@xnet.co.nz
I asked for the 8 day delivery from PCBCART and airmail NZ-US is about 5 days, so you can expect a board in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by harlequin2; 02-28-2011 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: update
Reply  Post New Thread