Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #81 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
I suppose theoretically, the 0.32 coupe would do better on the freeway than the 0.36 hatch, while the lighter hatch would do better in the city than the heavier coupe. Lighten the load on the coupe/sedan, as I have done to the tune of 200+ pounds and the coupe might get the better of each situation.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #82 (permalink)
Burn lean and prosper\\//

VLX - '93 Honda Civic VLX
Team Honda
90 day: 51.1 mpg (US)
California what ways did you shed some pounds on your car? Maybe I'll look for a coupe to do the next z1 swap to. The cd listed for the sedan is .034 so I think you may be on to something with the coupe. Do you now the factory curb weight for the coupe? Or anybody know the weight for the hatch offhand? I don't feel like looking t up haha
Old 12-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #83 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slownugly View Post
California what ways did you shed some pounds on your car? Maybe I'll look for a coupe to do the next z1 swap to. The cd listed for the sedan is .034 so I think you may be on to something with the coupe. Do you now the factory curb weight for the coupe? Or anybody know the weight for the hatch offhand? I don't feel like looking t up haha
The number I use on my car's garage page is 2262, which I have seen in several places. By shedding the weight I have I'm close to 2000 pounds. If you check my car's page you'll find a ton of info and a link to a list of weight reductions I did. My garage page link is below in my sig.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
slownugly (12-23-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #84 (permalink)

Team Honda
Thanks for the info California

I'm laying on the sofa thinking of different ways to improve the efficiency of the car and I don't think I'm going to touch on the weight savings too much. I'm thinking about belly pans and different materials that could be used to make them. I suppose a common concensus would say that coroplast is the way to go but I really don't like the way it looks. I'd want my car to look clean and like the pans were made that way from the factory. Im thinking about using black plastic and different ways to acquire it. I looked on a plastics website and buying plastics in sheets outright is very expensive.

I was thinking about what cars would have large flat sheets of plastic that would be easy to work with,easy to acquire, and cheap to acquire. Immediately Saturn came to mind. In my past body work experiences I've performed work on Saturn doors where the entire door skin is removable. They are at most you-pull-it yards and can be had for a good price. They are also easily removeable and relatively flat. With a heat gun and a cutoff wheel one door could be flattened and trimmed then fitted and secured with clips. I'll start a thread in aero when I get to it but I just wanted to throw the idea out there.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #85 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

idk if yur still active on this thread but i managed to recently snag a 94 civic vx with 130k miles on it all stock.its been running on bad plugs n wires and a wierd idle issue and im still getn just about 40mpg. iv been looking at the wierd idle issue and iv finally found it down to the throttle body. the throttle stop screw is stripped.and the tps is reading 1.04v with throttle closed because of it.im having the most aweful trouble trying to find a replacement throttle body for it. any ideas on where i could find one? i know the vx one is a lot smaller and all the other ones out there are larger.i feel like im very close to getn this car to its prime in mpg. and the idle issue is the one thats dragging me down. shifting between rpms and goin into neutral my rpms take quite some seconds to drop back down to idle.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #86 (permalink)

Team Honda
I have a bunch of Vx parts I just got 2 throttle bodies and I might have 2 more. I have to recheck how many I have. I'll pm you after the holiday. They might need a tps but I'll see if I can find a good one I'll throw in. Do you use PayPal?
Old 12-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #87 (permalink)

Team Honda
I also have a d15b intake manifold (jdm?) that has an Egr runner but uses a bigger throttle body. Might increase power some but not sure about it's affect on mileage
Old 12-24-2012, 11:57 PM   #88 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I finally got the whole issue fixed iv been lookn at the whole time.just the tps needed realigned.fixed the throttle issue right away.the throttle stop screw is stripped.and the map sensor screws r stripped.

I thought i had to realign the tps closed throttle voltage via the throttle stop screw.i just turned it til it hit .45 then tightnd it down.totally fixed it.

I might need one later.but im running on quite a tight budget and fixing one thing at a time every two weeks.

Now just need plugs wires.axle shaft seal.throwout bearing. and radiator which is on order.

Yur right up is epic btw.especially the pcv valve.is bad pcv valve noticed in lean burn with hesitation? Im hopn that replacing the wires with ngk wires and ngk plugs fixes that issue
Old 12-25-2012, 12:44 AM   #89 (permalink)

Team Honda
The open pcv valve is meant to pull direct vacuum on the crankcase. Which in turn assists in pulling the pistons down= more power/ better efficiency. It shouldnt cause a stumbling. If the ngk tune up doesn't fixit you might want to start looking toward the 02 sensor
Old 12-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #90 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownugly View Post
The open pcv valve is meant to pull direct vacuum on the crankcase. Which in turn assists in pulling the pistons down= more power/ better efficiency. It shouldnt cause a stumbling. If the ngk tune up doesn't fixit you might want to start looking toward the 02 sensor
Oh dang.i hope the plug wire and spark plug tune up fixes it.o2 sensor wud be quite an expensive fix.

Reply  Post New Thread