Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Anyone heard of this one?

From:The Latest in Low-Rolling Resistance Tires | Leslie Berliant

Quote:
The company, (Cooper tires) headquartered in Findlay, Ohio with operations in 10 countries, has released their first low-rolling resistance tire line; the Cooper GFE (Greater Fuel Efficiency).
Quote:
The GFE is a touring tire and will initially come in eight sizes, targeted at already fuel-efficient vehicles like the Toyota Prius, Corolla, Yaris and Echo, and the Honda Hybrid Civic and Fit. They will also cover select Ford, GM, Chrysler and Nissan vehicles. The tread stock features a silica technology joined with a specialized polymer to provide low-rolling resistance and longer tread life. The mold technology uses traction compensating sipes which increase in length as the tire wears. A technology that the company says helps maintain wet and winter traction as the tread wears. They are so certain about the tire’s longevity that the GFE features a 60,000 60,000-mile treadwear protection warranty.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-06-2010, 02:10 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tank - '96 Ford Aspire 4 door
Team Ford
90 day: 46.75 mpg (US)
Here's the Cooper GFE: Cooper Tires - GFE - o.e. replacement tires
Old 04-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #33 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
orange4boy -

It would make sense in the EU because they have the tire labeling that has to document things like noise and predicted fuel consumption.

Green Car Congress: EU Parliament Approves 2012 Tire Efficiency Ratings
Quote:
The label will follow the familiar “A to G” classification system which is used on European energy labels in a wide range of applications, from appliances to buildings and aircraft. The most efficient tires will be awarded an “A” rating, and member states will only be allowed to legislate purchasing incentives for tires with an energy efficiency rating of “C” or better.

In addition to the tire’s energy efficiency, the label will provide information about its performance in wet conditions, as well as the tire’s rolling noise in decibels. The label will include a “noise pictogram” to graphically indicate the level of external rolling noise, indicated by ascending numbers of black “waves” emitted from a speaker symbol. Automobile tires that produce noise below 68 decibels, for example, will be labeled with one black and two white “waves” next to the value in decibels.
The European Union is studying green label for tires — Autoblog Green

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 04-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Okay, the Nokian H maximum sidewall pressure (MSP?) is ... [drum roll]

51psi !!

Coolistic.

On Nokian winter tires: the Hakka 5 is the better snow & ice traction, but it has slightly worse rolling resistance than the Hakka R. My Mom has the Hakka R on her Prius; while my wife has the Hakka 5's on her xD. I concur with Mike on the latter's rolling resistance; it is decent, but not great. I'll try to get a chance to drive my Mom's Prius, to get a better idea of what the Hakka R are like -- I only drove them briefly when they were brand new.

I get the Nokian H tires put on my xA next Thursday!

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Last edited by NeilBlanchard; 04-07-2010 at 11:46 AM..
Old 04-09-2010, 12:59 AM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Ford
Got the new tires installed today. Unfortunately, I didn't have much of an opportunity to evaluate the feel because a portion of my exhaust pipe came off after the car was lifted at the shop. I was more concerned about keeping the noise level down than feeling the differences of the new tires.

The shop used a lift that goes under all of the underside, and it apparently pushed too hard on the pipes and cracked a weld. The piece just needs to be re-welded, so it's not that big of a deal. More of an annoyance than anything, and makes the car very loud. I'll have it fixed on Tuesday at the latest.

The new tires are only 14mm taller, but they seem to fill the wheelwell more. Also, because they're 10mm wider, they do rub a little on the inside during full turning.

I'll post up some pictures tomorrow.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:50 AM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
You got the Cooper GFE tires? The article that was linked to above uses a picture of the Goodyear Assurance tire, which is a little misleading and odd...

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 04-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Ford
I got the Yokohama Avid Touring-S tires, actually.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:46 AM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
Please let us know how the Hakka H (Neil) and the Yokohama Avids(Aero) go. That H is a purdy lookin' tire... I'm starting to look around for some used RE92s (difficult to find so far), but I'm not opposed to buying new if they rock the world of RR as we know it.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #39 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

And what size wheels/tires are you both running? Let us know rim diameter, width and tire size.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Ford
I've got 195/70/14 tires mounted on stock 6" wide rims. Right now they're at whatever PSI the tire shop inflated them to (likel 35-40), but the sidewall says it's rated up to 51. After the initial break-in period (this tank of gas), I'll be pumping them up to 50.

They definitely seem to have more on-center feel, and my gas gauge didn't move a whole lot, but then again, it was clear today and warm this afternoon, and I'm almost running open exhaust right now because a piece of pipe came off during the tire change (the lift popped a weld). I'll be able to focus more on the tire performance when I'm not worried about shattering windows from an exhaust containing just the header and catylitic converter.