Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2020, 11:10 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
I know, I was just using an excuse to introduce the Ken Issacs designs. I was fairly impressed in 1968. I've used the three-way join but I forget exactly where and how to build lumber racks for the woodmill I built for Oregon Dome.

An Asian design wouldn't have the metal fasteners.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-22-2020, 11:35 AM   #22 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
People just keep trying to reinvent the head cubicle and the Head Cone of Silence:

This Felt Bubble Is Designed To Hide You From Your Coworkers

Drown Out Annoying City Noise With This Crazy Cork Helmet

Ridiculous Darth Vader helmet helps you tune out noise at work

Panasonic has invented a cubicle for your face

The Isolator, A Bizarre Helmet Invented in 1925 Used to Help Increase Focus and Concentration

Please rate each of those on a scale of 0 to Lord Helmet.

I would have attached the pictures, but they were all weird. Was it Jpeg or Webp and what was the extension?! Was I supposed to just save it to my hard drive or copy it into Paint first?

You are welcome:

Three-way join? This?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C00RAaPVEAAM59E.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	28998   Click image for larger version

Name:	1f44a3e98117714e0bfe69f94375876d.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	28999   Click image for larger version

Name:	vivero_acoustic_tomoko_4_wasabi_salonen_abe-ed.jpg
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	29000   Click image for larger version

Name:	3045063-poster-p-1-the-cork-helmet-drops-over-your-head-to-drown-out-annoying-city-noise.jpg
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	29001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Office_Helmet.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	29002  

Name:	wear-space_main-e1539810540999.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	29003   Click image for larger version

Name:	700383_7_7.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	29004  
Old 08-22-2020, 01:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

That's a pretty exhaustive list. Did you have it gunny-bagged or did you assemble it ad hoc?

You left out the House-Wreckers:

Haus-Rucker-Co, Yellow-Heart / Gelbes Hertz. 1967-8. Courtesy of Günter Zamp Kelp.
https://bustler.net/news/5619/tracin...t-at-bsa-space

Old 08-22-2020, 05:17 PM   #24 (permalink)
Not Doug

I searched for "Head cubicle" and the rest is history!

Unfortunately, I just saw the "Three-way join" reference, and not the video while working on all of that.

I believe that a few responses were posted while I crafted it and I saw them when I previewed my message.
Old 08-22-2020, 05:42 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dogbert > Catbert.

A search on 'three-way joint' might elicit a different response... man.

Old 08-22-2020, 08:13 PM   #26 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Lofting is great for optimizing storage space....unless you're prone to falling off the bed.
Not a problem for me, but my dog would hate it unless I did something to make it easier for her to climb to the bed. Well, maybe siding rails would be required in this case...
Old 11-14-2020, 08:19 PM   #27 (permalink)
Not Doug

Loft Bed II: Wrath of Ceiling!

As I mentioned elsewhere, it snowed a couple of weeks ago, and I couldn't work on the ramp (I still haven't started!), so I bought a double loft bed.

I converted it into a single XL and set it up in my room.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201114_180753_001.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	29562  
Old 11-14-2020, 09:22 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

And it only took from 2013. That's an interesting mix of socks and books on the left.

I have two kitchen cabinets. The plywood and particle board one (OEM Airstream) is on the way out and the enameled steel Art Deco one is going in. One of these years.

Old 11-14-2020, 09:54 PM   #29 (permalink)
Not Doug

You can kind of see where I extended it on the left.

I built a platform bed a while ago, but I managed to cut virtually every board crooked in two axes. The saw is set for 0°, but before working on this project I used one of my speed squares.

Weird how 0° seemed a couple degrees off.

I once tried using a wooden clamp as a straight edge. I clamped it down as hard as I could and it still moved. I would screw down a board on the waste side. The holes tended to not go in right where I wanted them and even when I screwed in a straight edge exactly where I wanted it, I still managed to cut crooked.

The Canadian on the Home RenoVision DIY channel showed holding down a straight edge and cutting perfectly.

Well, he is a professional, and I am anything but, although that has worked better than anything else so far. Since I usually hold the speed square [and board] with my left hand and saw with the right I need to measure over 4.25", which isn't as easy as going the other way, which I believe is 1.5".

I may be cutting more or less straight, but I still have issues drilling straight. I guess that I should punch each hole before I pre-drill it so at least the bit doesn't walk, but that won't help me keep the other side where it is supposed to be.

I cut the extensions pretty well, but I didn't screw them together quite straight, and there is a bit of a gap, so I screwed in those 2x2s to make it rigid. I am going to cut the corner off of each one to match the rest.

The diagonal pieces in the back corners are original. You can barely see 2x4s that I screwed under the back 2x6. The one on the right is to support the extension that you cannot see and the one on the left is for symmetry.

This was originally screwed into the walls at the original owner's house, but Mom forbade that.

I don't even know how to make it rigid.

I added that 2x6 across the back. I wanted a 2x4, but I didn't see a full-length one in the garage, so I super-sized it.

You may notice that it is 1.5" higher on the right.

Yeah...

I just screwed in the corner pieces so that each end fit best, but the right side was originally 4" lower than the left, which I didn't notice until after I attached the 2x6". That bothered me, so today I pulled out my bed, unscrewed the bracket holding the right side, removed the corner piece, and determined that it was at least 1" longer than the other, so I trimmed it.

Then the angles on each end were off, so I redid them, which was a pain, because they were no longer 45°, which makes it more difficult to measure out 4.25".

I may need to sharpen my circular saw blade. It takes too much effort to make some cuts and the last time that I used it today it took three passes to get through a 2x4, it just kept climbing up.

So, I trimmed the right diagonal piece, filled in the old holes, screwed it in its new position, and then moved behind to adjust the 2x6.

I found myself pondering the sensation that conjured the image of a screw extended out of the leg and into my groin. I examined the situation and determined that indeed, there was a screw stabbing Superman's speedo region.

I managed to pull away, determined the best position and angle for a new hole, drilled it, and was a little off.

The screw now sticks out a fraction of an inch.

Filling the holes is fun. I dip dowels the right width in Gorilla Glue and it seems like most of it squeezes out of the hole, so I wonder what good I am doing besides making them look less noticeable.

I trimmed them with a utility knife and sanded them.

They don't really stand out.

I don't think the rungs on each side are the same height and maybe the diagonal pieces are at slightly different angles. All that I know is that the right side went from 4" lower to 1.5" higher.

We will see if I try a third time.

You can see the right brace on the front. I figured the triangle would provide much more rigidity than a folded piece of steel. Those are the only pieces that I have bought so far. I have been using leftover screws from the deleted half, some screws that are over 5" long, a box of 1.5" screws, and four big L brackets on the back, two attaching the original 2x6 to the legs, and two attaching the new 2x6 to the legs.

Despite six metal brackets and those diagonal pieces, it still wobbled too much for me to use it until I screwed two 2x4s at 90° and screwed them to the back corner.

It was the perfect length and hardly moves anymore, even with my brother and I up there--extremely briefly.

To do:
  1. Decide whether I am putting the rest of the deleted railing on the back right or just two 2x4s. I want symmetry there, too, and having something on the right would help me climb up there.
  2. The front-right leg is bowing! I think that I will replace the bracket and the small 2x4 with a 4x4. I think that I will cut 2x4s to fit in the back and then full 2x4s in front of those.
  3. Diagonal braces inside the ladders and under the actual bed.
  4. If it finally seems secure, build a desk down there and set up my desktop with 43" monitor.
  5. Finally remove the tools, leftover lumber, leftover fasteners, and tarp with as much sawdust as possible, then vacuum extensively.
  6. Run ethernet.
  7. Set up some of my LED work lights. I wear a headlamp when I work down there!
  8. Finally get rid of Dad's old treadmill and bring in my dresser. Then I can finally get my clothes off of the bookshelf and out of the small filing cabinet inside the door!
Old 11-14-2020, 10:07 PM   #30 (permalink)
Not Doug

I used my original loft bed until 2017, when I moved to Page. I needed to move the pieces last and I did not want to move all of my stuff out of the room, set up the loft bed, and then move my stuff back.

It was much the same situation when I moved here, except there were four bookcases, the treadmill, and a bunch more stuff.

My room is still kind of used for storage.

Each time that I built a platform bed I thought about how I would convert it into a loft bed, but I wonder how many problems I would have had with that.

I pursued this when it snowed after I saw the double loft bed for sale.