Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2024, 12:04 PM   #831 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,599 Times in 7,081 Posts
The bridge fiducial could be simulated by rolling back and forth under an open garage door.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-07-2024, 12:16 PM   #832 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
' garage door '

The car would have to be on rail tracks, perfectly aligned with the garage door cased opening in order to achieve the sub-millimeter accuracy of the fiducial.
And then, the 'walls' would be obstructing the 'void' the 'arrows' poking through the bridge would normally be occupying.
We're talking about a Vernier caliper with a jaw opening greater than the width of car.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:19 PM   #833 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
The leading edge of the skirts bulges out the most the rear drop tapers more towards the rear. Obviously they are providing some benefit by allowing attached flow and blocking all the wheel well turbulence.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phase For This Useful Post:
aerohead (03-09-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 06:38 AM   #834 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
The wheel covers definitely get attention and comments at the gas pumps or places I park with people asking about them lol

Still the big issue to tackle is the 80mph fuel efficiency. I’m extremely satisfied with city and back country farm road driving and mpg. Wide open interstate at 80 though, very depressing. Better than most others on the road, but I Desire more
What is depressing is being excited about 22 mpg after dipping down to 18.7 mpg for a short while in a 3,800 lb, 333 hp AWD luxury sports car that burns premium gas.

The trick for better mpg for me was 2 or 3 fill ups using Star-Tron fuel additive/stabilizer.

The first half tank is a bit course as it cleans the entire fuel system, then it gets better and better. Also Shell premium makes a noticeable difference on the Infiniti G37x coupe and the 1977 Porsche 911 targa.

Fuel additives are not as fun, exciting or attention getting as aerodynamic aids but just as good results on a 12 year old 146,000 mile car (and 45 year old 144,000 mile car).

I really like your project Phase, tastefully done.

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html
Old 03-09-2024, 10:09 AM   #835 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

' rear skirts '

Together with front skirts, they'd really get your attention.
Old 03-09-2024, 01:33 PM   #836 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Together with front skirts, they'd really get your attention.
Front skirts seem too difficult with all the springs and hinges and rollers for design. Thankfully my car is a little more modern so it has air curtains and I have completely flat closed front wheels. I could probably fill in the arch gap a little more for added benefit though. I mean the Ioniq 6 used a wheel arch gap space reducer and they keep bragged about it like it’s revolutionary. Surprised not every car company just copies them
Old 03-09-2024, 03:43 PM   #837 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,599 Times in 7,081 Posts
How would such a filler be fabricated? Would it be sacrificial?

Old 03-11-2024, 10:39 AM   #838 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

' too difficult '

Quote:
Front skirts seem too difficult with all the springs and hinges and rollers for design. Thankfully my car is a little more modern so it has air curtains and I have completely flat closed front wheels. I could probably fill in the arch gap a little more for added benefit though. I mean the Ioniq 6 used a wheel arch gap space reducer and they keep bragged about it like it’s revolutionary. Surprised not every car company just copies them
If I had the car, I'd cobble together some cardboard front skirts, top off the IONIQ near a highway on ramp, tape them on, and take off, on a test run. Steering clearance wouldn't be an issue until you finished whatever distance you chose to drive, then pull off on an off ramp, pull the tape, and top off the tank for the data.
If the IONIQ skirts performed anything like on the Audi A3, you'd be looking at Cd 0.2232, just with the skirts.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By the way, MOTOR TREND dove the 'refreshed' 2020 IONIQ hybrid, round trip, from Los Angeles, to Las Vegas, at 80-mph, and returned an average 38-mpg.
They'd experienced the EPA's 55-mpg HIGHWAY at 63-mph.
Old 03-11-2024, 01:37 PM   #839 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If I had the car, I'd cobble together some cardboard front skirts, top off the IONIQ near a highway on ramp, tape them on, and take off, on a test run. Steering clearance wouldn't be an issue until you finished whatever distance you chose to drive, then pull off on an off ramp, pull the tape, and top off the tank for the data.
If the IONIQ skirts performed anything like on the Audi A3, you'd be looking at Cd 0.2232, just with the skirts.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By the way, MOTOR TREND dove the 'refreshed' 2020 IONIQ hybrid, round trip, from Los Angeles, to Las Vegas, at 80-mph, and returned an average 38-mpg.
They'd experienced the EPA's 55-mpg HIGHWAY at 63-mph.
Wasnt that with the larger wheel trim? Wayne at clean mpg tested the Ioniq blue and said the epa crossover was 59 mpg at 68 miles per hour.

I get about 50 mpg at 80 miles per hour. I’d be sad to get 38. If there’s no cross winds, I get about 43 mpg at 90
Old 03-14-2024, 10:55 AM   #840 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

' larger wheels '

Quote:
Wasnt that with the larger wheel trim? Wayne at clean mpg tested the Ioniq blue and said the epa crossover was 59 mpg at 68 miles per hour.

I get about 50 mpg at 80 miles per hour. I’d be sad to get 38. If there’s no cross winds, I get about 43 mpg at 90
MOTORTREND didn't say if it was the larger wheels, or 15" Hybrid Blue Aero, wheels, with 195/65 R 15s, which have been mentioned elsewhere, along with the 'Aero wiper blades' on the SEL model.
As to Wayne's numbers, someone needs to perform independent verification of his claims.
EPA values are meaningless to us. We don't drive on a dynamometer.
And I have no idea how often a car's 'guess-o-meter' samples, refreshes, and can accurately portray actual instantaneous mpg at a given speed.
Only a complete energy balance can tell us what a vehicle is doing.