Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2014, 10:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Maximum vehicle weight to meet 2025 54.5 mpg requirement?

Supposing engine efficiency remain the same and supposing the mpg figures are measured in a test resembling real life conditions in a mixed urban/highway driving

How much will cars have to weight to achieve 54.5 mpg consistently?

I think under 2000 pounds.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-25-2014, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
Probably more like 1,600 lb.

Should make for some interesting safety crash tests.
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Dave For This Useful Post:
Cobb (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Got MPG?

The Car - '09 Toyota Corolla CE Enhanced
Yep, there is going to have to be a major fundamental change in order to achieve that target.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Well, that 54 mpg is the unadjusted epa, so it's more like 42 on the window sticker. As such, there are a number of cars that already qualify.

EV's:
Tesla
Spark
Scion iQ
Fit
Fiat 500
Leaf
i-Miev
Smart
Focus
Rav4

Hybrids:
Prius regular, c, v and plugin
Accord
Fusion (and MKZ)
Civic
Jetta
C-Max (maybe)
Lexus Ct200h
Insight

Close but not quite (40-41 mpg)
Camry hybrid
Avalon hybrid
Mitsubishi Mirage

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
The Following User Says Thank You to PaleMelanesian For This Useful Post:
user removed (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 03:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
Maximum weight and still get 50+ combined? I think it would be significantly difficult at more than 3500lb curb. I realize many of the members here think light vehicles are just as safe as heavier vehicles but if the worst were to happen with my 1 year old son in the car, I would prefer to be in our 5000 lb Pacifica than a 2000lb gas sipper.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
Maximum weight and still get 50+ combined? I think it would be significantly difficult at more than 3500lb curb. I realize many of the members here think light vehicles are just as safe as heavier vehicles but if the worst were to happen with my 1 year old son in the car, I would prefer to be in our 5000 lb Pacifica than a 2000lb gas sipper.
What about the other occupants in the other car that you hit? Please don't buy a lifted 4x4!

Besides, you can stop faster in a 2000lb vehicle.

If you're still concerned then install a rollcage.

Last edited by yoyoyoda; 02-26-2014 at 02:21 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to yoyoyoda For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (03-01-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 12:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoyoda View Post
What about the other occupants in the other car that you hit? I guess they should just take your front bumper then, straight into their head.
I think that should have been phrased a little better. You are talking to a protective parent. We keep having this debate on here. People like their opinions and like holding onto them.

As I wrote in another thread:
Quote:
Smartcars have five-star crash ratings, too.
Quote:
My Civic is quicker and far more maneuverable [than Bacon], with a lower center of gravity, so I am better able to avoid accidents, which is my goal all along.
Thanks for sharing the video. I really need to learn how to fly. That would solve all kinds of problems, like not being a lab rat.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I think that should have been phrased a little better. You are talking to a protective parent. We keep having this debate on here. People like their opinions and like holding onto them.
I agree, I was a bit over the top, his vehicle isn't lifted, but many are.

Quote:
Smartcars have five-star crash ratings, too.
Only when hitting something at the same level, bumper to bumper, car to brick wall. Once you crash a lifted 4x4 into that same smart car, all occupants die and the 4x4 just runs straight over the top of that smart car as if it wasn't even there.

There is no reason why he cannot simply improve the safety of his smaller car with the use of an internal or external rollcage if he is so concerned about safety.

I intend upon doing the same to my car eventually.

I am a protective over my passengers too, my passengers aren't any less or better than anybody elses.

However SUV and 4x4 drivers who drive in Suburban areas with a lifted vehicle are selfish at the least and murderers in the worst, irregardless of weather or not they are a parent, because they aren't taking into consideration the fact that their vehicle is DEADLY when lifted.

There is a great deal of ignorance surrounding this topic. Everybody thinks that just because it has a so-and-so star rating it therefore must be safe in all circumstances, NOT TRUE!.

In my region I see people die all of the time because of 4x4's hitting the side of small compacts or sedans and the occupants of the latter dying.

Every night I go to bed hoping that tomorrow I don't lose my passenger, or my own life.

Because this is what I see all of the time:

And right at about the height of the number plate is where my head is in my car.

Steel vs Skull is not a fair fight.

There is no excuse to own a 4x4 unless you use the bed of the truck every day, There is no excuse to be driving them in Suburban areas without cargo and only one driver and no passengers, which is what these idiots do all of the time in my region.

If you are just driving passengers around then do what everybody else does and get a passenger car.

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the video. I really need to learn how to fly. That would solve all kinds of problems, like not being a lab rat.
Or a statistic? I've had the pleasure to spend a few nights in a ward of a hospital, at night while listening to the people who had broken bones I realized that vehicles truly are weapons.

Count how many 4x4's you can see. Then count how many SUV's you can see.

This was taken in a major city.

And this is what the car owners are like:

Last edited by yoyoyoda; 02-26-2014 at 03:19 AM..
Old 02-26-2014, 03:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
0.29 Cd and decreasing

Red Rocket - '90 honda CRX HF
Team Honda
Team "Old SKOOL"
90 day: 53.46 mpg (US)
So I'm guessing that this is your round-a-bout way of saying that truck drivers are idiots yoyoyoda?
Old 02-26-2014, 03:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbd56 View Post
So I'm guessing that this is your round-a-bout way of saying that truck drivers are idiots yoyoyoda?
Nope.

Only the small-truck drivers that raise their vehicles.

I like B-double truck drivers, they don't lift their trucks off the ground and they do everything they can to be safe on the roads, that includes predicting what dumb car drivers are going to do infront of them and miraculously stopping a 60+ ton vehicle in time.

Lifting a small truck however is bringing the frame of the vehicle up to the windscreen and A/B-Pillar of a passenger car, a LETHAL combination.

http://www.sbes.vt.edu/gabler/publications/cpic2000.pdf
Quote:
This paper investigates the compatibility of cars, light trucks, and vans (LTVs) involved in traffic crashes. An analysis of U.S. crash statistics shows that, although LTVs currently account for approximately one-third of registered U.S. passenger vehicles, collisions between cars and LTVs account for over one half of all fatalities in light vehicle- to-vehicle crashes. In these crashes, 81 percent of the fatally injured are found to be occupants of the car. These statistics suggest that LTVs and passenger cars are incompatible in traffic crashes, and that LTVs are the more aggressive of the two vehicle classes. The fundamental incompatibility between cars and LTVs is observed even when the analysis is restricted to collisions between vehicles of model year 1990 or later -- indicating that, despite the availability of newer safety countermeasures, e.g., air bags, the incompatibility between cars and LTVs will persist in future fleets.
As long as you obey the law you're ok.

It is against the law here to drive a lifted 4x4 on public roads in residential areas.

It is even illegal to modify the vehicle with a steel bumper bar, but nobody cares and the cops don't enforce the law.

If a B-double hits the side of my car the car just gets dragged along and probably lifted a few times into the air, rolled, if I'm lucky. But there was a woman who got hit, she died as her car rolled up onto the front lawn of the house near to ours.

If a lifted 4x4 hits me, I die, my passenger dies, instantly, and it probably will kill me from 40km and above.

Last edited by yoyoyoda; 02-26-2014 at 05:14 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread