Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2020, 04:52 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHR1294 View Post
a-HA! There's a solution to the camera problem.

universal reversing camera kit, very small and come with 4 bright LED's, in full colour too! regular video output via RCA so you can even record it. The camera itself is about 25mm square so it's quite unobtrusive and it's got a relatively wide angle.

I got a pair for the equivalent of $100AU. 2 cameras, cables and 2 screens. I actually bought them for doing a wing mirror delete, but I'm going to use them for looking at the underside of my car when I get round to creating a good flat floor and diffuser.
Unless your car is high off the ground, I don't think it will work. I also tried an endoscope camera and had same issue - can't get the right angle to see more than the tufts right in front of the camera.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-22-2020, 12:08 AM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Glue didn't work so I used lots of screws from the other side.

Measured results better than without them, but nowhere as good as with the much deeper plywood strakes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
blownb310 (04-01-2022), bobo333 (05-22-2020), MHR1294 (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 08:56 AM   #23 (permalink)
106 diesel enthusiast

Peamobile - '96 Peugeot 106 XND
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
Unless your car is high off the ground, I don't think it will work. I also tried an endoscope camera and had same issue - can't get the right angle to see more than the tufts right in front of the camera.
Ahh yes I see, I was just thinking that with the camera being small and having a wide angle lens might allow you to place it lower to the ground and be able to see a decent amount.

If you've got a ground clearance of 10cm or something, I can see that being an issue.

Oh well, at least you can stick a pitot in there and see what it's doing on a gauge.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:07 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Turned out that test road was too wet for testing diffuser wing.

Last edited by JulianEdgar; 05-23-2020 at 03:20 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 05-30-2020, 03:54 AM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
Glue didn't work so I used lots of screws from the other side.

Measured results better than without them, but nowhere as good as with the much deeper plywood strakes.
Went for my first proper drive today with the rubber longitudinals in place. I am confident that downforce has increased.

Because I run my own air suspension system, I am very sensitive to ride quality - ie I am always judging it. (The front springs have always been borderline over-stiff. I run extra air canisters to soften their rate, but typically they're still a bit stiffer than I'd like.)

I've noticed before - and commented on - the fact that ride quality improves with downforce. I think this is the case for two reasons. (1) the sprung/unsprung weight ratio improves, and (2) the effective spring rate goes down. Now, for the latter, in a car with normal steel springs, you'd say the static deflection has increased, indicative of a lower natural frequency (ie softer suspension). But with my air system, ride height is automatically maintained - so static deflection is constant. But to maintain ride height with a higher load, more air is pumped in. And the more air within the spring, the softer its rate.

Tonight I drove on a highway that I drive on often. 110 km/h speed limit. Bumps (eg filler strips over bridges) where normally I notice impact harshness were different - softer. It's difficult, because I have been driving my wife's W212 Mercedes, which has quite poor ride quality compared with the air suspension Insight. But I'd still bet money that the ride quality of the Insight has improved since I added the rubber underfloor guides.

Reply  Post New Thread