Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2020, 05:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,006 Times in 1,367 Posts
Metal shaping technique showcase/discussion for ecomodders

A thread for metal shaping techniques: showcasing, discussion, and teaching/learning.

All metals, all reasonably DIY friendly tools and supplies for making or modding cars, bikes, motorcycles, and more.

Post whatever shaping work you have done or that you admire. Also books, videos, websites...

... just keep in mind that this is the DIY subforum ... whatever seems to speak to an ecomodding interest in DIY metal shaping belongs here, I figure.

Here is one to start. I love his discussion of making compound curves. I love the simplicty of his basic tool set.

I have zero metalshaping experience. And I am going to include aluminum composite sheet shaping as "metal shaping," even though it is definitely cheating.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-24-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-23-2020, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,112 Times in 537 Posts

I plan on taking a class or two after the 1st of the new year.

https://www.proshaper.com/coachbuild...aping-classes/

Hes a real Metal worker and runs a first class operation.

Check out some of his videos.

>

Im not a climatologist, aerodynamicist, virologist, physicist, astrodynamicist or marine biologist..

But...

I play one on the internet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redneck For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-24-2020), California98Civic (07-23-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 10:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck View Post

I plan on taking a class or two after the 1st of the new year... Check out some of his videos.
Cool. Will make a point of watching. When you do his class, I hope you'll post about it.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 08-06-2020, 05:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 5,608 Times in 4,471 Posts

For the record here is my Polymetal picture from 2015. Sheared, rolled and braked with a hand operated bench brake with an 18" lever arm. I'd like to see 5ft rollers made from old water heater tanks to roll full sheets.

Chris Runge is on that other level. A practical project might be an EMPI Imp in stainless steel.

[Tesla-powered?] Cyber Dune Buggy

edit:
For comparison, a 2-door Type 181 in aluminum.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incremental_sheet_forming

I can imagine a situation where you put a strip of metal in a U-shaped buck and then pass a nylon roller back and forth incrementally conforming a cycle fender. The edges that were held in the form would be trimmed, else bead rolled and wire-wrapped in a separate operation.

Change my, you know, the thing.

Last edited by freebeard; 08-06-2020 at 06:49 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-12-2020), California98Civic (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
a 2-door Type 181 in aluminum.

Love how the spare tire is recessed into the hood.

Old 08-12-2020, 02:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 6,039 Times in 3,688 Posts
incrementally

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

For the record here is my Polymetal picture from 2015. Sheared, rolled and braked with a hand operated bench brake with an 18" lever arm. I'd like to see 5ft rollers made from old water heater tanks to roll full sheets.

Chris Runge is on that other level. A practical project might be an EMPI Imp in stainless steel.

[Tesla-powered?] Cyber Dune Buggy

edit:
For comparison, a 2-door Type 181 in aluminum.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incremental_sheet_forming

I can imagine a situation where you put a strip of metal in a U-shaped buck and then pass a nylon roller back and forth incrementally conforming a cycle fender. The edges that were held in the form would be trimmed, else bead rolled and wire-wrapped in a separate operation.
Some metals begin fully annealed and work-hardens during forming. In order not to tear the metal, it may require re-annealing as you draw it deeper and deeper towards the finished product.
Around a decade ago, Chrysler mentioned that some of their body panels required six separate stamping operations, six sets of stamping dies, plus the multi-thousand-ton presses to force the sheetmetal to the depth of the final shape.
freebeard (08-12-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 10:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

All metal work hardens when forming, tearing is caused by thinning below the tensile strength needed during the forming or granular formation. Annealing stops the granularity and makes the metal more plastic again.

At McStarlite, we baked our aluminum at 350 between passes in the press which should have been an ageing temp but it worked.

Stamp forming is kinda violent and doesn't allow the metal to flow thicker which is why there are ripples along the flanves. Tonnage is just the power required to move that metal. On a couple of square ft you can get to 100 tons required really fast.

Last edited by Piotrsko; 08-13-2020 at 10:43 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread