Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2011, 12:03 AM   #51 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

It's hot and very humid where Im at now , we had a heat factor of 124 deg.

Air conditioning is a MUST !!!!

Ive been to Florida plenty of times, and a/c in the summer seems like a must have down there as well.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-22-2011, 04:59 AM   #52 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
With my Vibe, the AC doesn't really hurt my MPG, but I still don't like the jets of air spraying on me.

Don't ever aim them at yourself. Aim the "center" highest so that they point towards the rear of the interior. And the "outer" vents also high, but along the glass towards the rear also.
On really hot days (over here at least) I've had some good results using the window defogger setting, and blowing all the cold air onto the windshield, with the sunblocks down.
This also takes away the sun's heat radiating through the windshield.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:02 AM   #53 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilson4web View Post
Perhaps it is time to look at a lithium-bromide, absorption, cooler that uses the exhaust waste heat to drive the boiler
The general trend is towards getting Bromium out of the environment, by not putting it into products any longer.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #54 (permalink)
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
The general trend is towards getting Bromium out of the environment, by not putting it into products any longer.
I didn't find much in North America about this. Is there an EU group pushing against bromium?

Thanks,
Bob Wilson
Old 07-23-2011, 12:04 AM   #55 (permalink)
Driving the TurboWeasel

One of these makes the A/C much more effective. It keeps one's backside off of the seat, so air can flow in behind. It's much more effective on bench seats than the sculpted buckets of more modern cars. Aim one of the vents so it hits the seatback, and enjoy the airflow.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:47 AM   #56 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilson4web View Post
I didn't find much in North America about this. Is there an EU group pushing against bromium?
It's already banned (as a volatile organo-bromine) from use as a pesticide as in addition to pests, it also attacks the ozone layer.

The RoHS directive keeps it out of or reduces the bromine content in plastics and electronics etc. where it was used as a flame-retardant.
But when burned - accidental or as energy recuperation - it sets of toxic gases.
When these get in the atmosphere, they in turn attack the ozone layer.

This regulation is only going to become more stringent over time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to euromodder For This Useful Post:
bwilson4web (07-23-2011), SwamiSalami (08-11-2011)
Old 07-23-2011, 09:04 PM   #57 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Maybe you are losing refrigerant or the evaporator/blower/condenser needs maintenance on the Jetta.

Also does your rental Malibu have window film? adding window film does wonders for the efficiency of your A/C.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #58 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Ever noticed how cool the steel under the carpets stays even on a hot day? I have a lot of exposed steel floor in the former backseat/trunk area. I keep noticing how cool it feels all day. I wonder about some sort of thermal exchanger in the car.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #59 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Frontier 2wd 2.4L 5 speed - '98 Nissan Frontier XE
90 day: 27.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Ever noticed how cool the steel under the carpets stays even on a hot day? I have a lot of exposed steel floor in the former backseat/trunk area. I keep noticing how cool it feels all day. I wonder about some sort of thermal exchanger in the car.
Never really thought about it, but it makes sense that the underside of the car would say cool. No sun from above or below and steel is a poor heat conductor so the heat from the top and sides will not soak into the bottom. You could take advantage of that with a heat sink of copper or aluminum and fan mounted to it to radiate that into the air (think processor heat sink) or even passive (no fan like a stereo reciver) but it would take some serious number cruntching and/or trials to fingure out if you could cool enough to make a noticeable difference. You could disengage it durring cold weather so you have an air gap in the cool weather so the car does not get cold. You got me thinking on that one. It would work, I am sure, just don't know if it would work to the point that it would be practical.

Best 15-mile commute city/highway mix: 37.7 mpg
Best tank so far: 31 mpg
Old 08-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #60 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ZOMGVTEK_2 - '07 Acura TL Type S
90 day: 30.29 mpg (US)
I can tell you why the A/C remained cold for 30 minutes.... It never turned off.

Traditionally you can easily hear the compressor engaging, and the associated bog at idle and fans turning on. Some GM vehicles only turn one fan on with the A/C, or turn both on at half power, which is harder to notice.

However, when you switch the A/C off, and hit recirculate, the A/C Auctually remains on, with the little light on the snowflake off. I know for a fact my friends Silverado does this, there is no way A/C in a passenger vehicle will remain cold, even for a few minutes past the compressor disengaging.

It never turned off. It's not special or amazing, it's just poor programing resulting in the system not allowing you to turn it off, on top of it not indicating that it's on.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
a/c, air conditioner, hate my jetta, hypermiling, malibu mpg