Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2011, 07:21 AM   #71 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Silver Miser - '97 Seat Ibiza Van TDi SXE
90 day: 61.03 mpg (US)

The Blue Squanderer - '11 Audi S3
90 day: 19.6 mpg (US)
I'm concerned with optimising a/c use in my Seat TDi...

In the Audi, I can access the fuel consumption attributable to the climate control from the driver info system, and it never exceeds 1L/hr.

I have no idea how the Seat's a/c works though. It's a 1997, so definitely not as efficient. Does anyone know if moving the dial from 4(max) to 2 actually saves anything? Or does the excess air/pressure just vent?

It's a van, and I just got a net to put between the cargo area and the seats and I thought about maybe attaching some clear sheet on it to separate the two areas. I don't think the spare tyre and random stuff I haul need the a/c.

Last edited by Karadjas; 08-29-2011 at 07:31 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-29-2011, 12:01 PM   #72 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Park in shade, windshield facing away from sun, use interior windshield cover when parked. Install heater core shutoff.
If you use a windshield reflector, that's the only one of ~6 windows on the car you have control over. Park that one facing the sun where the reflector has the biggest impact.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
The Following User Says Thank You to PaleMelanesian For This Useful Post:
SwamiSalami (03-06-2012)
Old 08-29-2011, 01:21 PM   #73 (permalink)
DieselMiser

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
Most car AC units kick on and off based on the cooling load. So I would guess that you switching from 4 down to 2 would reduce fuel consumption caused by the AC.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #74 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Excellent. Separating the cargo area from the the seats would make sense then. Thanks
Old 08-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #75 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Welcome to ecomodder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karadjas View Post
In the Audi, I can access the fuel consumption attributable to the climate control from the driver info system, and it never exceeds 1L/hr.
1 L/h is a lot though.

Quote:
Does anyone know if moving the dial from 4(max) to 2 actually saves anything?
Pushing less air through the A/C means it'll also use less energy to cool that air.

Quote:
It's a van, and I just got a net to put between the cargo area and the seats and I thought about maybe attaching some clear sheet on it to separate the two areas.
It's been done before, and it greatly reduces the volume of air that needs to be cooled. Less volume = less air = less energy.

You could even add some of those shiny gold /silver insulation blankets to the dividing wall so they keep the cold in the cabin, and reflect the heat back into the cargo area.

Use something light for the divider, like coroplast plates - it's like corrugated cardboard, but in plastic.

Quote:
I don't think the spare tyre and random stuff I haul need the a/c.
Not really

Old 08-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #76 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
If you use a windshield reflector, that's the only one of ~6 windows on the car you have control over. Park that one facing the sun where the reflector has the biggest impact.
The windshield is often the largest piece of single glass, so you have it backwards. Park so that the smallest is towards the sun, or in general, to the west. (And, if the rear, the darkest legal tint applied).

The worst is at an angle to the sun where multiple windows take the assault. Where there is no choice, park so that the rear takes the sun angle.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #77 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Welcome to ecomodder.

It's been done before, and it greatly reduces the volume of air that needs to be cooled. Less volume = less air = less energy.

You could even add some of those shiny gold /silver insulation blankets to the dividing wall so they keep the cold in the cabin, and reflect the heat back into the cargo area.

Use something light for the divider, like coroplast plates - it's like corrugated cardboard, but in plastic.
Thanks

To remain road legal, I have to maintain full rear visibility from all 3 mirrors, including cargo visibility. I'll be getting some soft clear sheet (I have no idea what it's called in English, we just call it nylon although it's not) and attaching it to the divider net. It's fairly clear, but if I find it hinders visibility even by a tiny bit I will cut a section out and replace it with some thin lexan I have left over from my r/c days, just enough for a full view of the rear window from the rear view mirror.

Note: spritmonitor.de average

Note: ECE combined figure.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:07 AM   #78 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Team Honda
Wagons
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
The windshield is often the largest piece of single glass, so you have it backwards. Park so that the smallest is towards the sun, or in general, to the west. (And, if the rear, the darkest legal tint applied).

The worst is at an angle to the sun where multiple windows take the assault. Where there is no choice, park so that the rear takes the sun angle.
That may be true with a truck that has a small vertical rear window, but most cars have a rear window nearly as big as the front. The reflector blocks (nearly) all direct radiation which is the biggest source of heat. It won't do much good if it's facing away from the direct source of heat - the sun.

You have a good point about tint in the rear. I don't have any and I'm not going to spend the money to install it on a 16-year-old car.

I agree that angled is the worst option, with sun coming in the side.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:25 PM   #79 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
That may be true with a truck that has a small vertical rear window, but most cars have a rear window nearly as big as the front. The reflector blocks (nearly) all direct radiation which is the biggest source of heat. It won't do much good if it's facing away from the direct source of heat - the sun.

You have a good point about tint in the rear. I don't have any and I'm not going to spend the money to install it on a 16-year-old car.

I agree that angled is the worst option, with sun coming in the side.
I think we're fairly close . . but I'd recommend experimenting with any vehicle. I'd include our SUV in the above (sun to rear) as no sun shade can fully block heat. Plus that the front of the car is where the driver sits, the A/C has to in-take air, and that all the front sheetmetal is cooked. I vote to face rear.

And tint is cheap. My daily driver until a few years ago was more than twice the age of the car you cite.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:14 PM   #80 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Team Honda
Wagons
The thing is, I have experimented. I have no AC, so it's critical to me to keep it as cool as possible. Facing the afternoon sun with the shade up has been the best in my experience.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
a/c, air conditioner, hate my jetta, hypermiling, malibu mpg