Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2014, 11:01 AM   #21 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Off road x pipes - Mustang Evolution

Seems rediculous. I am sure people all over are doing this, and advertising on forums, but I have never heard of anyone being contacted.
Your absolutely right!!! In my world (EFI Tuning)there are a ton of people breaking Federal rules when you really get down to it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-24-2014, 01:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Ridge reaming does not solve cylinder wall taper and ovality. Installing new rings in an engine, lke that, is a waste of effort. The cylinders are no longer perfectly parallel and they are not perfectly round. It would be better to check the ring end gap on the original rings and if they were in specs clean and reinstall. The same ridge that develops as an engine wears also wears the outer upper point of the top ring. While ridge reaming keeps the top ring from breaking as it contacts the ridge that you have removed.

New rings can seal a tapered bore but they are expanding and contracting on every up and down movement of the piston. New rings will not seal a bore that has ovality wear. Of course a tapered bore will always have a ridge.

The development of better alloys combined with far superior lubricants allowed engine life to triple over the past 5 decades, even with perfect maintenance. Reduction in emissions, fuel injection, lead free fuel, better ignition and other factors were also contributors.

If there is no measurable wear in the cylinder walls, no ridge, no taper, and no ovality, and the cylinder is factory original then the engine should never have needed a rebuild in the first place. According to your statements that is the norm on high mileage but well maintained D series Honda engines that were not abused. The vast majority of engine die of abuse and neglect.

The exception to that rule is a car that sat a long time and had rusty cylinder walls due to open intake and exhaust valves in a humid environment.

When Chevrolet first offered the small block in 1955, intital customer feedback showed extreme oil consumption to the tune of a quart in 200 miles in a brand new car. GM's solution was to pour Bon Amid down the carburetor to add an abrasive to help with ring seating!

regards
Mech
Old 03-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfpro View Post
Your absolutely right!!! In my world (EFI Tuning)there are a ton of people breaking Federal rules when you really get down to it.
From what I have read the Feds are concentrating on repair shops that are forging emissions certifications. I could not find a single instance of a prosecution of an individual, but I didn't look very hard.

My assumption would be they go after gross violators and possibly those with deep pockets. Most cases are strong enough that the defendants want nothing to do with a judge or jury and try to plea bargain ther way into lower sentences, because the prosecutions case is basically air tight.

Bottom line is if you have significant assets and are doing it for profit then you are a target. Particularly licensed businesses.

regards
Mech
Old 03-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
No individual is at risk of prosecution for emissions tampering with their own vehicle by the federal government. If we were at risk, any Ecomodder member who has modified their intake to be a WAI would be in trouble. Car owners all over the country install non-EPA approved parts and make modifications that break the same rules as you are.

The Following User Says Thank You to cbaber For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #25 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

Team Turbocharged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaber View Post
No individual is at risk of prosecution for emissions tampering with their own vehicle by the federal government. If we were at risk, any Ecomodder member who has modified their intake to be a WAI would be in trouble. Car owners all over the country install non-EPA approved parts and make modifications that break the same rules as you are.
I 100% agree!!!

Old 03-24-2014, 02:41 PM   #26 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
I am not sure if this is correct :/

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:07 PM   #27 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
Anything older than 1975 is exempt from emissions in practically all areas.

Also, the ability to switch between a legal and a non legal setup should allow you to test in non Federal jurisdictions and continue to use the vehicle on Federal roads as you implied.

As you move along in your research, you may require a research exemption. But, that is usually for a period of time. You cannot drive your vehicle indefinitely on such an exemption.
Something like this? I was surprised how many old cars showed up.

"1971 custom ford ranchero gt - $850 (tucson)"
selling 1971 custom ford ranchero gt

How much would you want to keep stock? It has a shiny engine and almost everything else is rusted or missing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 04:47 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I am not sure if this is correct :/
It's absolutely correct. Check out the EPA website, they list all the cases they go to court for. In 2013 they sued 25 defendants for violations of the Clean Air Act. Most of those violations were asbestos related, about 6 of them were car emissions related.

Every single case was against a business or an individual who owned their own business. All of the car emissions charges were against auto repair shops, or individuals who had licenses to perform vehicle inspections. All of those cases involved people giving out fraudulent emissions certificates. Basically, they passed cars that didn't pass the test. All of those cases involved at least 50 vehicles.

The EPA doesn't care what you do with your own car. They don't have the resources to care. The EPA isn't spying on EcoModder members, waiting to bust anyone who modifies their intake to get more gas mileage. They bust business and people who violate laws on a mass level, or who clearly violate public safety by doing something like demolishing a building without removing asbestos, polluting the air around the community.

Now this doesn't mean you can't get in trouble locally. The states inspect your car, and the police in your state can bust you for several automotive equipment laws. But if you can pass the state emissions test and vehicle inspection, you are not at any risk for prosecution.

The Following User Says Thank You to cbaber For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 05:06 PM   #29 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

Team Turbocharged!

Guys I really appreciate all the feed back, keep it coming!!!

Old 03-24-2014, 05:31 PM   #30 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Quote:
It's absolutely correct. Check out the EPA website, they list all the cases they go to court for. In 2013 they sued 25 defendants for violations of the Clean Air Act. Most of those violations were asbestos related, about 6 of them were car emissions related.

Every single case was against a business or an individual who owned their own business. All of the car emissions charges were against auto repair shops, or individuals who had licenses to perform vehicle inspections. All of those cases involved people giving out fraudulent emissions certificates. Basically, they passed cars that didn't pass the test. All of those cases involved at least 50 vehicles.

The EPA doesn't care what you do with your own car. They don't have the resources to care. The EPA isn't spying on EcoModder members, waiting to bust anyone who modifies their intake to get more gas mileage. They bust business and people who violate laws on a mass level, or who clearly violate public safety by doing something like demolishing a building without removing asbestos, polluting the air around the community.

Now this doesn't mean you can't get in trouble locally. The states inspect your car, and the police in your state can bust you for several automotive equipment laws. But if you can pass the state emissions test and vehicle inspection, you are not at any risk for prosecution.
Just to be clear, they do not have any ability to prosecute/file charges against someone, or they decide not to? I inferred your original statement as no individual can have action taken against them for disturbing their emissions systems- but then your next post directs more so that we are too small of fish to care about.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Reply  Post New Thread