Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2014, 11:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
You got some $%^& good free legal advice. Glad to hear you actually listened and saved YOURSELF a lot of heartache. Maybe you should think a little before running off at the mouth about ridge removal in another post and insinuating that someone who gave you about $500 in free legal advice knows more than you wish to ASSume.

I've spent a lifetime dealing with people, from curbside pharmacists to 4 star generals. I don't question your abilities and I would like the same respect in return.

If you don't like the laws and regulations then go to the source and have them changed, as I have done when threatened (not by you). Attacking my integrity and knowledge will not change anything.

I recommend a forum truce between us. Strong personalities tend to have their own ways and methods based on a lifetime of experience.

60k hours of experience here and never a summons to appear in court and answer for my actions, regardless of justification. Ignorance of the laws is no excuse, and when a judge tells you that you are in serious trouble.

Mech
Mech

Your advise wasn't why I had the Moderator's delete my "Lean Burn Build" thread!!! It was the innuendo threat of you turning me in for a Federal emission violation.
Quote:
The differenceis his car is technically (based on my understanding of the legal situation) illegal, while mine is stock, passes current emissions and it is also an automatic, which my wife can drive if she had to.
Any non DOT approved modification is considered tampering. It has nothing to do with your state and nothing to do with passing any state mandated emissions testing. If you installed or modified any emissions component and it was not DOT approved you are in violation of Federal law. Read it for yourself. Remember when you are summoned you start spending money and you are persecuted (or prosecuted) based on the judgement of a govt employee who could care less about what it cost you. Even if you prevail you are still loosing. Even passing an emissions test does not prove your case.
I owned the Del Sol before you ever started messing with creating lean burn in an engine that was never legally lean burn capable in the US and never was DOT approved, thus your operating it in lean burn was technically a violation.
As for the ridge removal tool I didn't think it was you that did the engine that broke the ring? I thought it was someone else and you were the one that found the problem after the fact? I'm sure you have used one or know someone that has? This was very common practice in the 70's and 80's. I did several engines this way without ever having a ring break!!!!!!!!

Last edited by pgfpro; 03-24-2014 at 01:51 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-23-2014, 11:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

Team Turbocharged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
Anything older than 1975 is exempt from emissions in practically all areas.

Also, the ability to switch between a legal and a non legal setup should allow you to test in non Federal jurisdictions and continue to use the vehicle on Federal roads as you implied.

As you move along in your research, you may require a research exemption. But, that is usually for a period of time. You cannot drive your vehicle indefinitely on such an exemption.
Quote:
How about moving the drivetrain into another vehicle?
Thanks RustyLugNut!!! This is what I'm going to do. In search of a pre 1975 car???

I have way to much time and $$$ invested in this to kill this thing.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfpro View Post
Mech

Your advise wasn't why I had the Moderator's delete my "Lean Burn Build" thread!!! It was the innuendo threat of you turning me in for a Federal emission violation.

As for the ridge removal tool I didn't think it was you that did the engine that broke the ring? I thought it was someone else and you were the one that found the problem after the fact? I'm sure you have used one or know someone that has? This was very common practice in the 70's and 80's. I did several engines this way without ever having a ring break!!!!!!!!
In my business I had to stay ahead of an almost daily "smarter than you" type who it took about 10 seconds to realize that they thought every recommendation I made was driven by greed instead of integrity. It cost me money every day to live by a standard that was legally unassailable.

You still just don't get it buddy. You were heading down a pathway that could have earned you hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines and even prison time, so now your response is to accuse me of potentially ratting you out to the FEDS as your rationale for the actions you took. Having been the subject of legal attacks from omnipotent beaurocrats who considered themselves untouchable, legally, I guess it's beyond your comprehension that even though we have butted heads here I would not wish that on anyone.

So now I am a cowardly back stabbing god only knows what else in your seriously warped perception. I got it and I wont forget it, but I still would never intentionally cause you to have to deal with a felony count for every single individual act for which you could be charged separately. In spite of your arrogance and total lack of any gratitude for what MY actions have potentially saved you from. Emotional torture and financial ruin are terrible lessons and a terrible price to pay for ignorance.

Mission accomplished, you are no longer ignorant of the legal consequences of publicly revealing your lack of knowledge (it's called evidence). Regardless of how you choose to dance around that fact it still potentially saved your bacon.

Some of the know it alls who came in my shop tried to prove me wrong, they took risky actions to save a few bucks. Most I never saw again (they were like you). Some actually had the guts to come back and admit that they had been through a painfull process of trail and error and they actually understood why I refused to use my customers as a "guinea pig" . I still don't know, since you are good at witholding facts until they benefit yourself, if you ever operated a licensed repair shop that dealt with thousands of customers for decades and through hardwork and integrity build a loyal clientelle that even to this day is highly loyal to the Man who learned the trade in my shop and now owns it.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
I don't understand how so many people pull their emissions equipment, calling it "off road" parts.

No one takes their Mustangs off road- I can't believe this is such a big deal when there are forums filled with others doing the same thing. Well, except they want more power and loudness, nothing else.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to UltArc For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 10:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

Team Turbocharged!

Quote:
In my business I had to stay ahead of an almost daily "smarter than you" type who it took about 10 seconds to realize that they thought every recommendation I made was driven by greed instead of integrity. It cost me money every day to live by a standard that was legally unassailable.

You still just don't get it buddy. You were heading down a pathway that could have earned you hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines and even prison time, so now your response is to accuse me of potentially ratting you out to the FEDS as your rationale for the actions you took. Having been the subject of legal attacks from omnipotent beaurocrats who considered themselves untouchable, legally, I guess it's beyond your comprehension that even though we have butted heads here I would not wish that on anyone.

So now I am a cowardly back stabbing god only knows what else in your seriously warped perception. I got it and I wont forget it, but I still would never intentionally cause you to have to deal with a felony count for every single individual act for which you could be charged separately. In spite of your arrogance and total lack of any gratitude for what MY actions have potentially saved you from. Emotional torture and financial ruin are terrible lessons and a terrible price to pay for ignorance.

Mission accomplished, you are no longer ignorant of the legal consequences of publicly revealing your lack of knowledge (it's called evidence). Regardless of how you choose to dance around that fact it still potentially saved your bacon.

Some of the know it alls who came in my shop tried to prove me wrong, they took risky actions to save a few bucks. Most I never saw again (they were like you). Some actually had the guts to come back and admit that they had been through a painfull process of trail and error and they actually understood why I refused to use my customers as a "guinea pig" . I still don't know, since you are good at witholding facts until they benefit yourself, if you ever operated a licensed repair shop that dealt with thousands of customers for decades and through hardwork and integrity build a loyal clientelle that even to this day is highly loyal to the Man who learned the trade in my shop and now owns it.
OK cool

Are you done, so can I have my thread back?

Thanks
Russell

Old 03-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm done when YOU stop making false statements about me, such as stating that I was the one who rebuilt the engine that had the piston failure, which is patently false and has no basis in fact. I asked politely that we just let it go, state our points without passing judgement and posting opinions that are presented as facts. Your choice, not mine.

Fact

You were posting information that had potentially catastrophic consequences for you. I advised you about the legal ramifications of YOUR actions. You come back with the insinuation that I was going to initiate a legal process by informing some fictitious person of authority who MIGHT pursue that legal situation.

Regardless of our adverse communications I have not, will not, and have no intention of ever engaging in that kind of action. While your vindictive response about what you considered as a threat by me, when it was nothing more than advice that could have saved you a crapload of grief. That response was a pitiful attempt to make good advice, in fact, free legal counsel, something much more insidious that it ever was or would be.

I will respond to that kind of character assasination as long as you initiate it. The choice as to where we go, in that respect, on this forum or anywhere on the internet, is yours.

My goal is constructive imput and my wish to help people when I think that is possible. Yours, from the evidence you continue posting concerning your false conclusions that affect the perception of my character and integrity as percieved by those who read this forum and appreciate the uncompensated assistance they might recieve from a member with 60,000 hours of experience working on cars.

Maybe that attitude is so ingrained in your personna that it is unavoidable. Your best solution is to just pretend that my posts do not exist. Please put me on your ignore list. I would consider it as a favor.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Off road x pipes - Mustang Evolution

Seems rediculous. I am sure people all over are doing this, and advertising on forums, but I have never heard of anyone being contacted.

Best Tanks:
The Following User Says Thank You to UltArc For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 10:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I don't understand how so many people pull their emissions equipment, calling it "off road" parts.

No one takes their Mustangs off road- I can't believe this is such a big deal when there are forums filled with others doing the same thing. Well, except they want more power and loudness, nothing else.
I remember a episode of Sanford and Son where the old man pulls the label off a mattress then reads it.

"Do not remove under penalty of law"

I wonder what the sentence would be for someone convicted of such a hideous criminal act as removing a label off and old mattress.

regards
Mech
Old 03-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #19 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

I think that is only if removed is not the owner. I can remove mine, but if I removed yours, it would be bad. I'd have to check my info on it, first, though.

Best Tanks:
Old 03-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #20 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

Team Turbocharged!

Quote:
I'm done when YOU stop making false statements about me, such as stating that I was the one who rebuilt the engine that had the piston failure, which is patently false and has no basis in fact. I asked politely that we just let it go, state our points without passing judgement and posting opinions that are presented as facts. Your choice, not mine.

Fact

You were posting information that had potentially catastrophic consequences for you. I advised you about the legal ramifications of YOUR actions. You come back with the insinuation that I was going to initiate a legal process by informing some fictitious person of authority who MIGHT pursue that legal situation.

Regardless of our adverse communications I have not, will not, and have no intention of ever engaging in that kind of action. While your vindictive response about what you considerred as a threat by me, when it was nothing more than advice that could have saved you a crapload of grief. That response was a pitiful attempt to make good advice, in fact, free legal counsel, something much more insidious that it ever was or would be.

I will respond to that kind of character assasination as long as you initiate it. The choice as to where we go, in that respect, on this forum or anywhere on the internet, is yours.

My goal is constructive imput and my wish to help people when I think that is possible. Yours, from the evidence you continue posting concerning your false conclusions that affect the perception of my character and integrity as percieved by those who read this forum and appreciate the uncompensated assistance they might recieve from a member with 60,000 hours of experience working on cars.

Maybe that attitude is so ingrained in your personna that it is unavoidable. Your best solution is to just pretend that my posts do not exist. Please put me on your ignore list. I would consider it as a favor.
Quote:
Davo53209@yahoo.com

I'm very sorry for all the thread jacking.

I did not mean to personally attack Old Mech.
I thought Mech said he had a destroyed piston from someone else's build that Mech had to fix
Quote:
I had a piston on my shop counter
. I didn't know he was the one who built the engine with the broken piston and piston ring. As fir me grammar and spelling sorry I'm trying to do my best.

I have had great luck with a ridge removal tool on certain types of engines with no engine failure. My point in my above post was on a Honda engine if there is any ridge... IMHO the block is done throw it away. Now on a engine like my 4G63 you could use a ridge removal tool and it would work for a low $$ build. Would it be the same if you were to bore the block absolutely not!!! But done right you could get another 100k out of it.

But back to you. If I were you I would do a leak down to see whats up??? You said its not using oil so the oil rings and valve guides and valve seals are doing their job. I would also do a compression test. This can show you things that the leak down can't and vice versa.

It sounds like the engine is down on power... correct??? Have you check to see if the timing is correct by finding TDC and checking it to the dist. and cam gear. Don't trust the crank pulley marks they have been known to move inside the hub. This happens a lot on the D-Series engines. There are some great write ups on this on D-Series.com.

Anyway good luck.
Mech,

You are very confusing?
So I was right in my first post. ^^^^^

You did not rebuild the engine that had the failure? My argument was in my experience in building engines, one can have great success using a ridge remover tool. As I already told you. So it looks to me that we disagree on a engine building procedure? That's cool with me

I'm not trying to get into a big toe measuring contest with you, but... I own and operate a very successful businesses!!! I build 1000+ HP 2.0L engine's for fun. I break a ton of parts doing so. Its part of the game pushing the envelope with BMEP numbers that even Nascar and F1 engineers can appreciate.

Your name should be "Old Lawyer" instead of "Old Mech" I would even hire you.

Mech,
chill out, this is just a car forum???

Reply  Post New Thread