Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #91 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pantry Boy Supreme (pbs) - '04 Volvo S80 T6 Premier
UPdated Kammback

So i had a little time yesturday, not entirely sure if it was time well spent tho. doesnt look as good as i pictured it in my head, functional? ...maybe

Updated the Kamm since I have a trip out of state this Labor Day weekend to go camping. The way the last setup was, only being able to open the trunk about 40-ish degress. I had to kneal to put (small items in it, or get out) which was just a pain, though it was much prettier.

I tore everything off, and puzzled the pieces together. Now I just have 1 large Full Kamm.

I have outlined the top in Red to illistrate the flow,
The Green line is where i need to do some trimming still to get everything seated properly and to the right angle.

I have taped a strip of Coro just above the rear window line, that has (2) T-type hinges ziptied to both pieces(taped strip and Kamm)

As I open the boot lid, the kamm simply slides on the trunk and automatically gets pushed up. Allowing full access!

At a different angle, I seem to be doing something right compared to a 2012 Honda CR-Z

My initial road test deemed i needed more tape along the front corners. Taped up they were good to go. 2nd time, I needed to find something to keep the very back of it from flying up at higher speeds 60+, i grabbed some magnets from the basement(thanks Sven7) for the electro magnet idea, went a little simplier route, Had roughly the same idea about the sliding panels (which i still will do later on) this was just a quicky job.

"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RiderofBikes For This Useful Post:
2000neon (09-14-2012), aerohead (08-29-2012), Sven7 (09-14-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #92 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Fantastic work. Absolutely fantastic.

Kudos.

I was a little disappointed that it was seeing under 50 mpg, I had very high hopes for the Focus! But over the base mpg, crazy good mileage. We were looking at replacing my wifes truck with a Fiesta, but it is stuck with the 5 speed New top choice is looking like the Sentra. I digress, I just wanted to compliment the driving and the fabrication.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #93 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

*Updated gas log, from 800mi round trip.

Consistent MPG increase from EPA, around 60-70mph Avg speed. with A/c and heavy wind/rain storm
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #94 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Is there no end?! Kamm again?

Yet again, i just cant seem to be still. though the last Kamm, proved useful, was an abomination and just needed to go.

Onto Better and prettier things!

This time took a trip to Home Depot, looked around for some metal/plastic stuff to make a frame for a the new Kamm. Started off looking at metal stock, which a few minutes later seemed a bit pricey/overkill. Hmmm... maybe i should just stick to wood(may redo some things eventually with it), then thought, it wont last being more exposed to elements and dirty up more.

Then, walking through dyrwall section is where i found it... $5 was all i needed... an Alluminum Wall stud!

I first trimmed it down, and flattened out the sides, made my bends, and cut to the angle of the back window. Slid the thin piece between the window and body used Silicon Caulk to seal/protect the paint/mount it without srews or anything.

Used my previous Kamm piece and cut shorter, screwed into metal, and Duck Taped at the roof line.

Finally, a solution to my trunk issue...

Success! ...This creates a sturdy base for me to place a sliding canopy to extend the full trunk distance.

Stayed tuned!
Old 09-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #95 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Alexa - '07 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 38.32 mpg (US)

FX - '06 Infiniti FX35
90 day: 17.98 mpg (US)

Priya - '03 Saturn Ion 3
90 day: 27.81 mpg (US)
this is progressing very nicely!

Old 09-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #96 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 47.95 mpg (US)
Sweet! That looks good
Old 09-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #97 (permalink)
The Dirty330 Modder

CruzeRS - '15 Chevy Cruze LT RS
90 day: 41.29 mpg (US)
Looks Nice giving me some ideas for my kamm

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing."
- Henry Ford
Old 09-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #98 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Material update

Thanks everyone! glad i can be of some help, for ideas.

I went to the sign shop yesturday for more Coroplast and some thin Clear material. Me and the shop owner got to talking, $6 for a square foot of 1/8" Polycarbonate was the best he had, BUT its more of a custom odrder material and i'd have to buy a 4' x 8' sheet... More talking, He went into the back to check his stock for scraps. 5mins later, he drags this 18" x 72", 3/16 thick Polycarbonate strip from his scrap
Tells me $20(including tax) since it's been back there forever.

Being one not wasteful of my own scraps, I actually took a second to think about it

Started thinking of what else I could do with it and took the deal!

Maybe, just maybe, one more time with this blasted Kamm lol.
...I'm Gonna have fun with this!!!

*EDIT* I'd be glad to have a full Hinged Kamm like I and "2000neon" has fabricated. New Car = Not being able to securely fasten such a structure without making holes or using rivets/screws into the body i'm pretty SOL

Last edited by RiderofBikes; 09-13-2012 at 11:29 AM..
Old 09-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #99 (permalink)
Permanent Lurker

Dáčenka - '10 Dacia / Renault Logan MCV 1.5 dCi (X90 k9k)
90 day: 47.08 mpg (US)
how about to use glue or metal hooks and fabric strips? Piwoslaw attached his kamm without a hole: http://ecomodder.com/forum/119323-post26.html

Thule makes bicycle holder exactly the same way: Thule*-*Thule ClipOn High 9105

so I assume it should be possible...

Last edited by seifrob; 09-14-2012 at 07:26 PM..
Old 09-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #100 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Glad the magnets helped... for awhile (been there, haha)

seifrob's idea sounds good- how about some, say, 3M body tape they use for automotive trim and the like? That way it'll be semi-permanent while still (hopefully) being buff-out-able.

Also, check Craigslist for coroplast if you haven't already. A couple weeks ago I scored four 4x8' sheets for $30 total. Four! (And I didn't even get murdered)

The Following User Says Thank You to Sven7 For This Useful Post:
UltArc (09-15-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread