Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 12:20 AM   #101 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 47.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
(And I didn't even get murdered)
I guess you can consider that to be a bonus!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #102 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pantry Boy Supreme (pbs) - '04 Volvo S80 T6 Premier
Quote:
Originally Posted by seifrob View Post
how about to use glue or metal hooks and fabric strips? Piwoslaw attached his kamm without a hole: http://ecomodder.com/forum/119323-post26.html

Thule makes bicycle holder exactly the same way: Thule*-*Thule ClipOn High 9105

so I assume it should be possible...
this would only be possible if i were adding something past the boot lid, Anything strap and or metal hook wise would not work as there are no anchor points around the rear window.

I measured, cut and torch-bent my Polycarbonate sheets, but wound up going a little overboard with my angles... This stuff is just a bit too stiff to work with unless this was heat molded or something(which i did debate to taking to a shop to have done) but im cheap... maybe i'll try again somewhere down the road and have it molded. Even then, Fibreglass is way easier for me. Just not much time for mockup. Lay-up is the easy part, when i do this i want to be able to get it done in a day
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #103 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Last Time

So here it is, scrapping every idea previous and future... i made a template Skeleton structure of thin woodstock (same as the underbelly structure for the rear diffuser). Having (not) failed, but crudely constructing various Kamms on bare cheapness.

I'm sticking to what i know and am good with. WOOD, this only weighs 3lbs and is most perfect in 1 take!

I'll Just leave these here

The pieces cut from the window brace boards were reused for the top contour

Doodling

Cutting

Fastening together

Proper angle finally, and symmetrical

Darkness came with the quickness, so i had to wrap up

So there we have it...
Im going to lay a panel over it soon and use it until i can lay some fibreglass. I still have a large usable polycarbonate panel for possible window after glassing [EDIT: we will see how well the grill works as a heat-oven for molding]

[EDIT: covered my skelton with thin 1/8" flimsy plastic poster board, zip tied it, used a couple old License plates for rigidity and crappy shape but works]
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by RiderofBikes; 09-20-2012 at 01:35 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to RiderofBikes For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-29-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #104 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Woop! Ok so im not that excited, but im making headway, i need to buy more Fibre cloth and resin to finish up, about 2 more layers should stiffen it up nicely.
I layered up on the outer edge tho, wear it connects to the body.

I spread a light layer of Silicon Grease over my plastic canopy(mold release), and used Packing tape to cover the overhang of the side pillars and roof line.

It was just another one of those, "Im Workin, go-getter attitude" days.
Don't have enough time, make some... now that I've started, I must finish!
Old 09-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #105 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Dart Lite - '76 Dodge Dart Dart Lite
90 day: 18.34 mpg (US)

Beater..with a Heater - '94 Isuzu Rodeo LS
90 day: 16.19 mpg (US)
I saw you this afternoon, 40 Highway, Independence. Definitely recognizable. I caught the light and couldn't give you a wave.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #106 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backtobasics View Post
I saw you this afternoon, 40 Highway, Independence. Definitely recognizable. I caught the light and couldn't give you a wave.
I wondered how long it would take! I'm everywhere at every time lol
Welcome to my thread. The Zebra print duck tape gives it away, eh? haha

I was on my way to take a friend to WoF and afterwards check out a ninja 250 for sale, $450. It was a bust for me though, it was all there, but it needed as much money put into it to get road worthy again(which i just dont have at the moment) just my luck...
Old 10-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #107 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Hey everyone... Just some updates on info about the fiesta that ive been able to find, that I haven't been able to find on here praticularily. Though most of fiesta fanatics have probably found this long before i had.

Source from CleanMPG.com forum: 2011 Ford Fiesta Specifications [Archive] - CleanMPG Forums

with MPG vs. Speed calculations, and RPM/Speed calulations as well..

EDIT: Updated gas log and trip log... I'm freakin IMPRESSED!!!! about my recent trip

Last edited by RiderofBikes; 10-02-2012 at 05:31 PM..
Old 10-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #108 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Here is where im at now, I have my Coro extension to the crappy fibreglass panel, and will be using this entire structure to redo the Kamm as 1 Piece for Final Time (...I swears)

The picture is a bit warped somehow will take a better one later and Edit
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RiderofBikes For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-05-2012), Weather Spotter (10-06-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #109 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Crimson Crawler - '04 Hyundai Elantra GLS
90 day: 36.71 mpg (US)
Did I miss where you showed how you covered the front wheels?
Old 10-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #110 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevyn View Post
Did I miss where you showed how you covered the front wheels?
Well, yeah thats the only thing i hadn't covered in the updates. $0.97, 13" pizza pans from WalMart and painted. Measured the radius then subtracted what i needed from the X and Y axis to find my center. It's not "perfect", but pretty close. Nothing out of balance. Held in with (4) 3/4" screws straight into the hubcaps

Reply  Post New Thread