Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

PT Cruiser - '01 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition
90 day: 27.73 mpg (US)
mods on windstar

Hi, I've got a 1996 Ford Windstar GL. I don't want to change the body shape or anything real drastic, I don't want to look like a dousche riding down the road. So is there any simple things I can do to improve my van's gas mileage?

Thanks

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Eco Dreamer

Versa - '08 Nissan Versa SL Hatchback
65+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - EcoModder.com

100+ Hypermiling / ecodriving tips & tactics for better mpg - EcoModder.com
Old 05-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Crimson Crawler - '04 Hyundai Elantra GLS
90 day: 36.71 mpg (US)
That would depend on your meaning of "drastic." Panels under the body (undertray/bellypan) would be invisible, but I don't know if that's drastic in your opinion or not. If it has a roof rack, taking off the crossmembers (ideally, all of it) would help as well.

Blocking the upper grille area is easy and quick; but if you tow a lot it may not be feasible (or if you're in warm climate).

Next time you're up for tires look for LRR versions in your size.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

PT Cruiser - '01 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition
90 day: 27.73 mpg (US)
I see there is a linkback in email but I cannot access it, sorry
Old 11-26-2017, 06:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi All
I'm off on a new venture on a green gas hog (1995 Ford Windstar GL 3.8 vin 4, with 125 K-Miles)I started out getting 9 mpg on the Hwy. and less in the city. Changing the plugs upped it to 12.98 mpg on the Hwy. Changed the fuel filter, added an Air hog air filter, MPG's shot up to 10.99 city / 15.89 Hwy. Its has been running a little on the hot side so I flushed the cooing system used 1/3 antifreeze and water wetter with a 192 deg t-stat. Decarbonized the intake manifold and cleaned the injectors Increased the size of the factory cold air intake tube by 50 % with a 2" PVC pipe I plan upon Hogging out the factory air baffle with a 3" PVC pipe (it narrows down to 1.5" inside). I have found out 1 fuel injector is leaking and the CTS is out of range on biasing slightly hot. Next fill up I will update my mpg's.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The next mods will be new fuel injectors, port the upper intake manifold when I have it off. If the fuel pressure dose not come up to factory spec's , it will get a new fuel pump. Wrap the exhaust down pipes with heat wrap to lower under hood temps. Plan upon blocking the open grill area. Perhaps move the air temp sensor out of the air box closer to the t-body. Adding a Dynomax turbo muffler with a single 2.5 exhaust pipe. Change to all fluids to full synthetic. First thing I did was remove the luggage rack. Adding some sort of spoiler and maybe a belly pan? It sure would be nice to get the milage Ford says it should get from the factory. I need something to haul my dogs around in and this thing was free from my aunt who just passed away. My old 190DT Benz fuel pump died after 75 K of straight WVO. RIP for now!!
Old 11-26-2017, 07:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The engine was way carboned up after running a quart of water mixed with OTC injector cleaner, cleaning the injectors with OTC's injector cleaner using a pressurized cleaner canister and the air intake mods the power at 2K rpm's netted 5 mph more with less throttle on the freeway! All so I have no detonation in the hilly S.F. city and the transmission seams to not lug down like before (it has an external trans cooler upgrade).! driving like my auntie slow. I'm glad she like to fill this thing up with Ethel! I'm using what Ford recommends Regular.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

After reading this forum for a bit!
I'm starting with the engine!!! Making it the most efficient is the start! Do not really want to do a timing chain on one of these things again. if Ii do I'll remove the heads and do a mild port job including the intake and exhaust manifolds! "Freeing up horse power and efficiency"!
I think I might add a flapper valve on the cold air intake , so the engine warms up faster, then open cold air on the Hwy for a free turbo effect or when it's ready. Maybe something like what was used on carbureted cars air cleaners. Wrapping the exhaust down pipes to the CAT's will enhance the 02 sensors feed back to the ECU enabling closed loop sooner. Moving the ATS? , it might be better to add a resistor to make the ECU think the air temp is hotter than what is. Easy mod, this way the air charge is more dense and is a natural way to lower NoX and detonation. I like the rear wheel well mods, maybe lowering the Windstar and adding some full moon wheel covers or cheesey pizza pan wheel covers. Any front open grill cove it may encounter an over heat condition and may not be worth it for a daily driver. On long trips it may have its advantage. I like older cars and still use my Palm Treo 700!
Old 11-26-2017, 09:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Looking forward to how this turns out. A few years ago I drove a Windstar for work from time to time and I hated it and its transmission seemed to be made of gummy glass, but even then it never got less than about 15mpg, and that was nothing but city miles. Something is wrong inside yours and things should get lots better when you find whatever it is.

Subscribed.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Green ACD Dog Hauler

Thanks
I'm going to work on it for MPG's
I have done well with other vehicles !

Reply  Post New Thread