Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vencos View Post
Thanks Meelis!
I'll ask my mechanic if he's able to install MPGuino, wait for wage and order it
If you are somewhat handy with your vehicle, you should be able to do it yourself! Do you have a wiring diagram for your vehicle? Finding #1 injector is usually easy, but finding the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) wire can be harder.
[edit] Hey Meelis, the black case looks nice!

Last edited by ECONORAM; 01-04-2013 at 08:54 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #22 (permalink)
halos.com

So I got myself one of Meelis' MPGuinos, because I fried the VSS circuit in my first one. Not quite sure why, but I did find where the phone wires had melted through their plastic sheath after getting a short... Anyway, took the display off the old one and put it on the Meelis version. I didn't realize until I went to install it in the truck that the wire pins are different from DCB's. Fortunately, the pins in the white plug can be removed by pressing down on the lock tabs. So I repositioned every wire, making sure to not short them (due to previous experience). Got it installed and took the truck for a short drive. I do like the fact the BIG inst switches from MPG to gal/hr when at a stop...or when it loses the VSS signal. Naturally, the bulb for my VSS went out about 10 seconds after I left the house. Sorry, I didn't look at much else because I was wondering why there was only fuel flow. All that said, I like it and am glad to have a working MPGuino again.
I didn't use the alternate switch board (where you can position the buttons elsewhere), but I do appreciate Meelis including it with the kit.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:43 AM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Green frog - '97 Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDI 81kW
Diesel
90 day: 43.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECONORAM View Post
So I got myself one of Meelis' MPGuinos, because I fried the VSS circuit in my first one. Not quite sure why, but I did find where the phone wires had melted through their plastic sheath after getting a short... Anyway, took the display off the old one and put it on the Meelis version. I didn't realize until I went to install it in the truck that the wire pins are different from DCB's. Fortunately, the pins in the white plug can be removed by pressing down on the lock tabs. So I repositioned every wire, making sure to not short them (due to previous experience). Got it installed and took the truck for a short drive. I do like the fact the BIG inst switches from MPG to gal/hr when at a stop...or when it loses the VSS signal. Naturally, the bulb for my VSS went out about 10 seconds after I left the house. Sorry, I didn't look at much else because I was wondering why there was only fuel flow. All that said, I like it and am glad to have a working MPGuino again.
I didn't use the alternate switch board (where you can position the buttons elsewhere), but I do appreciate Meelis including it with the kit.
Maybe you can replace your bulb with LED so it does not burn out anymore?
Old 04-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #24 (permalink)
halos.com

You read my mind Meelis. In fact, I think I fried the new bulb today. Or some sort of gremlin is out to annoy me. This got me thinking about putting a couple LEDs down there...
Old 04-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
halos.com

Brief update on using Meelis' MPGuino. I had to adjust the RPMs on the car sensors page, as it was reading 1/2 what my tach showed. Set the pulses/2 revs to 1, hit ok and it works as it should. The car sensors page is a nice feature. I recently installed an underdrive pulley and since this page shows system voltage, I can keep and eye on the battery to be sure it is still charging properly.
The custom page has an inst mpg also, and I noticed it also reverts to gal/hr when it doesn't see a VSS signal.
Ah. This reminds me. You only need to hit the two outer buttons once to get to the adjustments pages. After that, you need to select ok and hit the middle button to go to the next adjustment page. Took me a few tries to figure that out. (The older model let me use both outer buttons to change adjust screens.) The buttons are closer together, which comes in handy when you are doing fuel mileage test runs, or resetting after refilling the tank...as you can use one finger to push both at once.
Not sure I like the cost thing on the custom page...it reminds me how much money is doing down the drain. (
Old 04-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Diesel
You can always put fuel price to 0 (in settings) so then it is not showing how much money you have burned up
Old 07-30-2013, 12:36 AM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Okay, I have a 1992 Canadian built Civic VX. I love the car, my M3 is much fun, but I'm enjoying the challenge of "how much fuel can I save".

I finally feel that I'm at a point mechanically that I can pick up an mpguino. The car was severely neglected and needed a lot of new parts to make it reliable for everyday use. Complete cooling system, alternator, tensioner pulley, new belts, clutch slave, brake master cylinder, new brake components, shocks/struts, timing belt, and water pump. It's been quite the ride. Lol! But, well worth it with the fuel economy this car has returned.

I'm a novice when it comes to an mpguino, but I know I want one. I'm pretty handy with cars as I do most repairs myself.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:25 AM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaders View Post
Okay, I have a 1992 Canadian built Civic VX. I love the car, my M3 is much fun, but I'm enjoying the challenge of "how much fuel can I save".

I finally feel that I'm at a point mechanically that I can pick up an mpguino. The car was severely neglected and needed a lot of new parts to make it reliable for everyday use. Complete cooling system, alternator, tensioner pulley, new belts, clutch slave, brake master cylinder, new brake components, shocks/struts, timing belt, and water pump. It's been quite the ride. Lol! But, well worth it with the fuel economy this car has returned.

I'm a novice when it comes to an mpguino, but I know I want one. I'm pretty handy with cars as I do most repairs myself.
Hi Vaders,

You can order one from my web. red, blue and green displays are available when ordering. MPGuino trip computer - MPGuino
Vaders (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks Meelis!
Old 08-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello Meelis, I've been researching the MPGuino for the past few days and I've found some basic parameters for my car. Again, I'm new to this, what exactly will need to be done for the install? How difficult is it to install? How do I program these parameters into the device for accurate readings? Anything else I should know?

Thank you!

Reply  Post New Thread