Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Green frog - '97 Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDI 81kW
Diesel
90 day: 43.1 mpg (US)
My self-made MPGuino with self-made casing

Hi,
I just wanted to show my MPGuino.
I made casing from thin cardboard (about 1mm thick), glued it and covered it with tape. Between PCB and LCD I made supports - little rolls of cardboard and glued supports to PCB (they are not in pictures).

Maybe others get some good ideas from my design
Chip is Atmega 328 - programmed it in freeduino and then put it to my custom board.

Unfortunately my car is broken so I cannot test it in the car
At least it looks neat and compact...

enjoy!
Meelis

LCD disconnected, front view

LCD disconnected, backside view

Between PCB and LCD I made supports - little rolls of cardboard and glued supports to PCB (not in the picture).

Casing is made from thin cardboard. Unfolded

Casing is folded, glued and covered with tape

on the backside I kept some 3cm extra cardboard lip for fastening it on the top of the steering column.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meelis11 For This Useful Post:
ben98gs (04-19-2010), TOOQIKK (08-29-2011)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-24-2010, 11:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Very nice! I'm glad someone else has gone the cardboard route. I covered mine with some scrap brown vinyl and black tape. Here's mine:
The Following User Says Thank You to moorecomp For This Useful Post:
TOOQIKK (08-29-2011)
Old 03-25-2010, 10:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sedan - '95 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 50.67 mpg (US)

Optima SX - '12 Kia Optima SX
90 day: 33.28 mpg (US)
How much did it cost you to make it yourself? I am thinknig about doing one because it seems to be out of stock at FundamentlLogic and others have posted placing orders back in like Aug. 2009 and still do not have anything.

Could you possibly write up a parts list with where you purchased them and instructions (if you programmed it yourself)? On that note, did you program the chip yourself (did not see a USB port)?

Any help is appreciated. I have done lots of electronics stuff before, but nothing quite like this.

Last edited by ben98gs; 04-14-2010 at 09:03 AM..
Old 03-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Looks pretty nice! I really like how your boards mount up together nice and flush with each other.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ok... I reread your post and looked at a few things and think I am starting to understand a bit more. Correct me if I am wrong (I numbered them so you can confirm or correct my statements easier).

1. Freeduino is the programming board and you programmed the chip on it before putting it in your MPGuino.
2. The MPGuino (V2.0) kit basically comes with the Freeduino/programmer and MPGuino all on one board as found here: Fundamental Logic
3. The Iduino and Arduino boards you can buy to make the MPGuino yourself are (like the MPGuino V2.0 kit mentioned above) the programmer and MPGuino all in one.
4. If I buy an Arduino or Iduino, I would basically attach that to my custom made board and screen to make the MPGuino (so basically I would have the Arduino/Iduino, a screen/board that comes with it, and my custom MPGuino board (that I would make from the item in the parts list found in this post: MPGuino release one workspace)

Also, is there any reason thsi screen should not work: White on Black 16x2 5V LCD
Old 03-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Kinda eerie. That is pretty much exactly how I made my first mpguino enclosure for the Celebrity. Except I used leftover coroplast. I guess I edited the thread when I made a real enclosure, but still have a pic somewhere of the original.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Old 03-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Green frog - '97 Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDI 81kW
Diesel
90 day: 43.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben98gs View Post
Ok... I reread your post and looked at a few things and think I am starting to understand a bit more. Correct me if I am wrong (I numbered them so you can confirm or correct my statements easier).

1. Freeduino is the programming board and you programmed the chip on it before putting it in your MPGuino.
2. The MPGuino (V2.0) kit basically comes with the Freeduino/programmer and MPGuino all on one board as found here: Fundamental Logic
3. The Iduino and Arduino boards you can buy to make the MPGuino yourself are (like the MPGuino V2.0 kit mentioned above) the programmer and MPGuino all in one.
4. If I buy an Arduino or Iduino, I would basically attach that to my custom made board and screen to make the MPGuino (so basically I would have the Arduino/Iduino, a screen/board that comes with it, and my custom MPGuino board (that I would make from the item in the parts list found in this post: MPGuino release one workspace)

Also, is there any reason thsi screen should not work:
This screen probaly works, sparfun is good place for other components also (transistors, Atmega 328 chip, crystal 16Mhz, buttons...)

1. Freeduino is arduino clone, bought it from seeedstudio depot
Freeduino USB complete KIT(Arduino Duemilanove Compatible) Freeduino USB complete KIT [ARD107B1P] - $22.00 : Seeed Studio Depot, Boost ideas, extend the reach
* when I bought, it included Atmega 328 instead of Atmega 168
I bought extra Atmega 168 chip (they did not sell Atmega 328) - when I program Atmega 328 and move it to custom MPGuino board, I still have spare chip for freeduino.

2. yes (to be exact - freeduino/arduino is development board, not just programmer)

3,4. to make MPGuino, you need:
* LCD
* Arduino/Iduino
* some extra parts, like resistors, buttons, zener diodes...check wiki page
MPGuino - EcoModder

I decided that I make custom board so I can keep freeduino for making other stuff and when using custom board, I can make it smaller.
So basically what I did was:
* took breadboard arduino schematic
* added there stuff what is needed for MPGuino (used Iduino schematic)
* put these together in Eagle PCB design program.

The Following User Says Thank You to meelis11 For This Useful Post:
Ettore_M (01-16-2016)
Old 03-25-2010, 02:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
I gotta say the cardboard is oddly inspiring I'm envisioning printing something like that on the inside of the shipping boxes now, a-la cereal box.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Crimson Crawler - '04 Hyundai Elantra GLS
90 day: 36.71 mpg (US)
"Enclosure now included! Cut Tab A, insert into Slot B. Fold on crease AB."
The Following User Says Thank You to Nevyn For This Useful Post:
dcb (03-25-2010)
Old 03-25-2010, 02:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sorry for my ignorance... But when you mention that the Freeduino/Arduino is more than a programmer, it is a development board, that means that you need it to program the chip, but that you also need some of the connections to run everything. So if you only use it to program, you still need to follow the connections needed on it on your custom board?

Quote:
I decided that I make custom board so I can keep freeduino for making other stuff and when using custom board, I can make it smaller.
So basically what I did was:
* took breadboard arduino schematic
* added there stuff what is needed for MPGuino (used Iduino schematic)
* put these together in Eagle PCB design program.
By the breadboard arduino schematic you mention above, that is the Iduino correct? Just a bit confused because you mention both and thought the Iduino was the breadboard arduino.

When combining the 2 schematics or whatnot, does that mean I need more parts (resistors/diodes/etc.) then what is mentioned in the wiki page to do what you do and create a slimline, custom board?

Again, sorry for any ignorance, I catch on fast once I get past some of the "stupid" questions, I promise.

Reply  Post New Thread