Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2008, 08:21 PM   #171 (permalink)
FuelSipper

HondaHokie - '95 Honda Accord DX 4 door
90 day: 26.91 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
Larrydag: I'm tapped into A-4 (for INJ) and B-10 (for VSS) in this Honda ECU pinout.
Ok. I'm tapped into A-1 and B-10. If it works for you then it should work for me too.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-31-2008, 10:07 PM   #172 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
I'm tapped into A-4 (for INJ)
FYI, maybe a typo, but A4 says v-tec solenoid?
Old 05-31-2008, 10:19 PM   #173 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
According to my site: http://crxmpg.com/obd1pinouts.html a4 is vtec...perhaps andy is counting the pins incorrently (or tapping the wrong wire).
Old 05-31-2008, 10:51 PM   #174 (permalink)
Awesomeness personified

Harold - '94 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 54.51 mpg (US)

Margot - '08 Surly Big Dummy
Send a message via AIM to AndrewJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
FYI, maybe a typo, but A4 says v-tec solenoid?
yeah, sorry, typo.

I meant A2 (for injector #4)

Old 05-31-2008, 11:29 PM   #175 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Status

I posted a while back that I have been following this project from the beginning. I finally have hardware in hand. Arduino is built and working. Now I just need to get the LCD working. I got the 2 line blue lcd from NKC electronics that a lot of other people ordered, but haven't gotten it working quite yet. That will be tomorrows project, then hopefully I can get to the interface with my 01 PT Cruiser.

I wish I would have ordered the USB version now since only one of my laptops has a serial port and apparently I don't even have any serial cables left so I had to construct one. Amazing how much stuff you get rid of when you move.

J
Old 06-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #176 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
...It was noted that with the key off, cars were looking to the guino like the injector was stuck open. So if the injector is open for a "rediculously" long (1.5 seconds) time then we start the clock on the LED Backlight shutdown....
Well, it was worth a try anyway I installed one in a 98 metro 1 liter and guess what? When you use a kill switch to stop the engine, the injector signal floats low, or something. I EOC it, and after 1.5 seconds the MPG (and mileage tracking) go to zero, and after 15 seconds the screen blanks. I don't want to introduce an extra installation wire to determine if the key is off, so I will just time out the backlight and current trip after 10 minutes of vss/injector inactivity. Is 10 minutes ok? do I hear 5? or 15?
Old 06-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #177 (permalink)
Awesomeness personified

Harold - '94 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 54.51 mpg (US)

Margot - '08 Surly Big Dummy
Send a message via AIM to AndrewJ
I'd go 5 minutes.
I don't think I've ever EOC'd for more than 5 minutes.
That'd have to be one loooooonnnngggg stoplight too.

Oh, and just for kicks I picked up another 6 conductor phone wire, so I'm gonna try for hooking up the MPGuino in the wife's 99 Cavalier after my Civic gets all ironed out.

*EDIT*

A few short hours later....

It's working!!! I had the VSS and INJ wires switched like I thought. Oh, and the INJ wire from the ECU won't work. I got the INJ signal from the injector harness in the engine bay, found the wire with a DMM just like dcb said.

It works like a charm, I just have to find out how to guesstimate my VSS and INJ parameters to better fit my Honda instead of a Saturn.

A quick run around the block showed 1.01 miles, 0.03 gallons (I think) for a total of 38.84 MPG. But again, prolly a bit off b/c it's not exactly setup for a Honda. Yet.

Last edited by AndrewJ; 06-01-2008 at 09:45 PM..
Old 06-02-2008, 08:54 AM   #178 (permalink)
FuelSipper

HondaHokie - '95 Honda Accord DX 4 door
90 day: 26.91 mpg (US)
Quote:

It's working!!! I had the VSS and INJ wires switched like I thought. Oh, and the INJ wire from the ECU won't work. I got the INJ signal from the injector harness in the engine bay, found the wire with a DMM just like dcb said.
Great news AndrewJ. I'm going to have to do the same thing with the injector hookup. I did the multimeter test too over the weekend and I saw the same thing. I didn't have time to rewire though.

This leads me to guess why does the ECU emit constant voltage to the Injector?

AndrewJ, Did you keep the VSS signal connection from the ECU or did you go directly to the sensor like the inejctor?
Old 06-02-2008, 08:59 AM   #179 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Dakota - '00 Dodge Dakota Club Cab, Sport
90 day: 18.57 mpg (US)

Jeep - '01 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport
90 day: 18.46 mpg (US)
Red face

Quote:
re: aWillard, Any luck with the signal generator?
Yes, luck. Mostly bad. I had a 'friend' going to get hold of an oscilloscope so I could get accurate readings. But, that has fallen through. Anyone have access to a scope?

So, I'm back to trying to use the formulas. I get one frequency value with the formula, but a different one with my Fluke DVM. I'm sure it has to do with the tolerance of the components, and at that freq, there may be some left over capacitance in the solderless board. Not to mention that most of my parts are the "parts bin" variety. I should probably pick up some fresh components, some with more accurate tolerances, too.

So, what values for a baseline should I calc for? I'm looking at a value for VSS and Injector to indicate a static speed and consumption. My theory being that if you plug in these inputs, your Guino (and program) should yield predicable numbers.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:36 PM   #180 (permalink)
dba
EcoModding Lurker

prizm - '01 Chevrolet Prizm
Quote:
Originally Posted by awillard69 View Post
Yes, luck. Mostly bad. I had a 'friend' going to get hold of an oscilloscope so I could get accurate readings. But, that has fallen through. Anyone have access to a scope?

So, I'm back to trying to use the formulas. I get one frequency value with the formula, but a different one with my Fluke DVM. I'm sure it has to do with the tolerance of the components, and at that freq, there may be some left over capacitance in the solderless board. Not to mention that most of my parts are the "parts bin" variety. I should probably pick up some fresh components, some with more accurate tolerances, too.

So, what values for a baseline should I calc for? I'm looking at a value for VSS and Injector to indicate a static speed and consumption. My theory being that if you plug in these inputs, your Guino (and program) should yield predicable numbers.
I have a scope, actually several, and am relatively close to you. I can help you out. One of the scopes is battery operated which could be useful for in car testing.

I got my arduino kit working and am now working on connecting the display. This will go in my 2001 Prizm (like a Corolla). I've been reading about this project since it started, but haven't posted anything before.

Dean
Downers Grove, IL

Reply  Post New Thread