Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2008, 07:48 PM   #441 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Scoob - '05 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport SE
90 day: 25.28 mpg (US)
OK, so I got the 'guino installed, finally found my ECU, and tapped the VSS and INJ wires. Hooked it up, and would you know it, it worked right away! Immediately saw raw data flowing in. Got the VSS pulses calibrated at 8000 to match my ODO perfectly. I might calibrate to my GPS instead though since its more accurate.

One issue tho, the garbage on the LCD issue came back. Seems like it doesn't like the noise added by the VSS and INJ wires. I did notice though that it only seems to happen on the double-line screens. The big MPG screens will stay up fine. Are there any differences in the timing or anything for the displays? I'm going to have to dig in and tweak.

Aside from that, now that this prototype is working, I think its time to look into the clean install, w/ a smaller 'duino (iduino) and a backlit LCD. Has anyone come up with a green or red backlit LCD that is known to work well? I think my primary issue is a difference in tolerance between my LCD and the NKC. I just won't be able to handle the glare off a blue LCD at night (which is what I'm after since my non-backlit LCD works fine in the daytime).

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-16-2008, 07:53 PM   #442 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
I'm also looking for a new LCD in general, just because it's a tad difficult on multi-function mode in the sunlight, but now that mine is working, I have glowing reviews.

Has anyone figured out a good case to use? I have the iduino so I should be able to squeeze it into a box.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #443 (permalink)
What? THIS IS MY GOOD CAR

The Japillac - '87 Honda Accord LXi Sedan
90 day: 31.77 mpg (US)

Ranchero GT - '73 Ford Ranchero GT

Spaz - '83 Chevy S10 4X4 Tahoe
90 day: 27.53 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to justpassntime
Are all Honda ecu's wired the same? Can I use the same data on my 87 Accord as those of you with 90s CRXs and Accords?

Will the 8204 number work for me too?

Last edited by justpassntime; 07-21-2008 at 12:11 AM..
Old 07-20-2008, 03:21 PM   #444 (permalink)
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
Question:
My car is Pre-OBDII, My Wife's car is OBDII. I don't mind wiring up my car, but would rather not get into that with her car. Does anyone know if I can get a pair of OBDII connectors somewhere and wire them up for my car, and make the MPGuino swappable between vehicles? If so, how would I go about wiring up the OBDII connectors? I found a page that shows how the OBDII is supposed to be wired up, but I am not sure where to make the VSS, injector wires, etc. I was wondering if there was anyone that had tackled this one. I may be reading it wrong, but you may be able to run three of them together and into the MPGuino making it work for all vehicle types. Any thoughts?
Old 07-20-2008, 07:03 PM   #445 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

^^ This project won't work via the OBD-II connector. OBD requires a communications protocol - we are pulling raw pulses from the VSS sensor and injectors for this project. You would have to tap into the appropriate lines on both vehicles and put a quick connect on the taps to switch between the two cars (don't forget power too).

There is an OBDuino in progress in another thread in this forum, but they're still in very preliminary stages and don't have the OBD communication working quite yet. This project is quite a bit further along in the process.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:57 AM   #446 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

So, does anyone have a green (or red) backlit LCD working with their 'guino? Just trying to find out what works and what doesn't before I've got to become the guinea pig. It'll be my 3rd LCD (though the first two were a two-pack), but too many LCD attempts and the project starts getting expensive. Thanks!

Oh, and I found that I'm getting more accuracy using a figure of around 183M uS for the injectors. I took my calculated 365M and just divided by two and its more accurate. Once I've got my other hardware bugs worked out (LCD), I can power this thing from const. power (right now its on switched power), and will calibrate over a few tanks.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:10 AM   #447 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
I've used a few green ones, They are pretty interchangeable. I have a few from mouser that I'm trying to make a PCB kit with, will release details shortly, but here it is with the veloboard:

Last edited by dcb; 07-21-2008 at 10:15 AM..
Old 07-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #448 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Awesome. Yea, I'm not sure why I'm having such problems with my LCD, but from the thread it seems I'm the only one with the issue so I'm assuming its the LCD itself. I was planning to grab an LCD and an iduino to make a more integrated unit than my "prototype", but if there's going to be a PCB version w/ only the needed components (not the whole 'duino), that's even better. Keep us posted on the PCB, but if you have a particular LCD you're planning on using for the release hardware, let me know so I can grab that exact one and test it in my current setup. Thanks again!
Old 07-23-2008, 10:12 AM   #449 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Dakota - '00 Dodge Dakota Club Cab, Sport
90 day: 18.57 mpg (US)

Jeep - '01 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport
90 day: 18.46 mpg (US)
Talking I've been busy, but...

Yes, I've been busy. But I promised my pictures, so here they are.

Let me know if you want more or have any questions about my setup.

Basically, the LCD is mounted to some nylon stand-offs (scavenged), you can see them from the front. They are white nylon, but a Sharpie marker makes them less obvious.

The Freeduino v2.0 is mounted to the removable back using stand-offs. The guts of the interface are contained on the Protoshield. Since the shield is connected to the LCD, the shield can be disconnected and the Freeduino completely removed, or even replaced, without disrupting the device - easy service or upgrade.

The power connector was scavenged from a PC; I was able to find both the male and female ends. This one is the one with the pins, which less common in this form, normally found on the drives. The typical ones are easily cut from an existing PC power supply and will be used as ends in the vehicles. It actually came from an inline fan connector that had both ends designed to be stuck in between an existing power setup versus tapping into a motherboard connector.

The buttons are contact buttons scavenged from an old VCR (many moons ago, too cute to discard! ). I drilled two holes and hot glued them to the surface with the leads inside the case.

The case is a 2x2.5x5 from the Shack.

This is something the wife won't mind sitting in the vehicle with her!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MPG_1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1221   Click image for larger version

Name:	MPG_2_guts.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1222   Click image for larger version

Name:	MPG_3_guts.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1223  

Old 07-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #450 (permalink)
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
Would it be possible to use a 2n3904 transistor instead of the 2n3906? I can buy one of the 3904's, where I have to buy 15 of the 3906. Thanks.