Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #701 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Does the new version (.73) still work on the 168? I know you were planning to stay with it, but it seems like there are quite a few changes, so I'm not sure. Thanks.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #702 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Yup. This thread is about getting to 1.0 of mpguino which is by definition on the 168.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:58 PM   #703 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjsw10 View Post
Finally got my stuff and fired right up!!
Old 09-20-2008, 05:16 PM   #704 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Yup. This thread is about getting to 1.0 of mpguino which is by definition on the 168.

Cool, thanks. I think it's time to go get some caffeine (up too late and up too early with the kayak ) and start soldering some wires. I'll tell you what, it's hard to tin pieces of paper clip.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:26 AM   #705 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Can I use 24 gauge for any of this? I'm sure it won't work for the power wire, or the lcd power, but what about the other connections? I'm just asking because it's so easy to solder and to manage once it's put together. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:33 AM   #706 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

El Camrino - '90 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasnmyveins View Post
Can I use 24 gauge for any of this? I'm sure it won't work for the power wire, or the lcd power, but what about the other connections? I'm just asking because it's so easy to solder and to manage once it's put together. Thanks.
I used 24 gauge wire for all connections.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:58 PM   #707 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Good, I don't have to do any resoldering. Time for the heat shrink.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:18 AM   #708 (permalink)
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
If we are looking at doing a second loadable program that would do a coastdown to calculate the Cd, Crr (and Cskin?), would it be possible to include the engine's efficiency as an output?
Variables needed:
  • Cd
  • Crr
  • (Cskin if we calculate it)
  • Area
  • mass
We can calculate power and use a standard number for gasoline (or diesel) BTU/gallon, and we can get efficiency. I think it would be useful for people that want to do P&G to know where their engine is most efficient. They can then verify that with MPG.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:31 PM   #709 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Scoob - '05 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport SE
90 day: 25.28 mpg (US)
Ok, so I've been having a little bit of difficulty with my MPGuino. Not sure if it's because my car is much newer than most of the cars you folks are installing this in (2005) and has a lot more electronic control, but I've now twice experienced the car start running like crap (idling low, rough, stalling) after disconnecting and reconnecting the neg terminal of the battery with the MPGuino connected. It's like the ECU can't re-learn properly after a reset with the thing connected. The first time, it wouldn't recover until I replaced a nearly dead battery. Was fine for a week until I connected the MPGuino again, and immediately did it again. This time it did recover after a few miles.

So some things I'm thinking of changing, and this is what I'm looking for suggestions regarding. I tapped my injector and VSS signal at the ECU. Should I not tap here and tap directly at the sensor and injector? This will be much harder to do, but I can probably find them.

Second, I had put the 100k resistors on my board, and am now thinking the direct wire tap (about 6' of wire) off the ECU is causing interference. I'm thinking I should move the 100k resistors to right at the tap. My question is whether 200K would be too much for the MPGuino to properly read the signals? If not, I can just add resistors to the taps. If it would be too much, I'll have to re-open the 'guino and short the resistors.

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions!
Old 09-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #710 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

El Camrino - '90 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmags View Post
Ok, so I've been having a little bit of difficulty with my MPGuino. Not sure if it's because my car is much newer than most of the cars you folks are installing this in (2005) and has a lot more electronic control, but I've now twice experienced the car start running like crap (idling low, rough, stalling) after disconnecting and reconnecting the neg terminal of the battery with the MPGuino connected. It's like the ECU can't re-learn properly after a reset with the thing connected. The first time, it wouldn't recover until I replaced a nearly dead battery. Was fine for a week until I connected the MPGuino again, and immediately did it again. This time it did recover after a few miles.

So some things I'm thinking of changing, and this is what I'm looking for suggestions regarding. I tapped my injector and VSS signal at the ECU. Should I not tap here and tap directly at the sensor and injector? This will be much harder to do, but I can probably find them.

Second, I had put the 100k resistors on my board, and am now thinking the direct wire tap (about 6' of wire) off the ECU is causing interference. I'm thinking I should move the 100k resistors to right at the tap. My question is whether 200K would be too much for the MPGuino to properly read the signals? If not, I can just add resistors to the taps. If it would be too much, I'll have to re-open the 'guino and short the resistors.

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions!
I'm driving a 1990, but I've only had mine hooked up for a few hours (and my original setup was hooked up for about a week). I tapped all four leads a foot or two from the ECU and have not experienced anything negative. Without the 'guino attached, and when you dis- and re-connect the battery you don't experience any problems?

Hope that helps.

--Humbled one with limited experience

Reply  Post New Thread