Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2008, 01:51 PM   #711 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Scoob - '05 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport SE
90 day: 25.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsmith24 View Post
I'm driving a 1990, but I've only had mine hooked up for a few hours (and my original setup was hooked up for about a week). I tapped all four leads a foot or two from the ECU and have not experienced anything negative. Without the 'guino attached, and when you dis- and re-connect the battery you don't experience any problems?

Hope that helps.

--Humbled one with limited experience
Well, it's odd... what I did the second time, was disconnect the neg battery lead, unplug my ECU (so I could tap the wires - only wire exposure is RIGHT at the ECU connectors, no more than an inch from the ECU), and tapped them. Hooked up power to the MPGuino, buttoned everything back up, connected the neg terminal. Turned the key to ON, let it sit for a minute so the fuel pump reset and pressurized and timing advanced, then cranked it. It started up at about 1200 RPM (normal), but then dropped immediately to like 250, and the engine rocked as if it needed new mounts. Sounded not right, like the fuel delivery wasn't correctly timed. Killed it, tried again, same thing. Eventually the ECU was able to adjust so it would idle at 500, but this is still lower than the normal 800. Took it for a short drive - every time I disengaged the clutch, RPMs would drop to 250 before coming back up to 500. Once it stalled. Drove about 30 miles, no change.

Disconnected the batt. again, disconnected my taps, reset everything, car did it again, but over a couple mile drive, the ECU learned to idle back to normal.

This is why I think maybe the taps are bad, or not having the 100K resistors RIGHT at the taps, so now there's essentially a big antenna on both wires. With a more computerized car than one 15 years its senior, I'm thinking the noise is far more detrimental.

Can anyone confirm if 200k would be too much and should I just short the 100k's on my board and add 100ks to the taps?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-23-2008, 01:56 PM   #712 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

El Camrino - '90 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.47 mpg (US)
Did you check the Wiki test page and make sure the numbers were somewhat normal?

Link: Mpguino tests - EcoModder

Old 09-23-2008, 06:39 PM   #713 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Here's the "3 day auction" one installed. Looks great. The picture of the 'guino was taken at a lower angle..so, in actuality, I can see more of the gauge cluster than one would first believe from the picture.

Actual Unit:

Wires heading toward tapped leads:

Former glovebox:

I'm not sure if I want to put the glovebox back or not. It's all still sitting in the car, but I could save some space and weight by just tossing it. Although, I wouldn't have a place to lock the pistol when it's not on me and I'm out and about... Dilemmas, dilemmas...

Old 09-24-2008, 04:23 PM   #714 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Red Beast - '82 Honda V45 Sabre Vetter Fairing
90 day: 39.38 mpg (US)

The Wife's bike - '82 Honda CM450E Red
90 day: 57.22 mpg (US)

Yellow Submarine - '04 Dodge Neon SXT
90 day: 28.71 mpg (US)
Well, got it fully built. Tested with a jumper wire and it "sees" pulses on the vss and fuel injector leads.

Now to hook the thing up.

I am hooking it up on a mazda b2600i. I see on the schematics that the ECU has 2 connections for the fuel injectors. (2 injectors per wire) I just hook up the "Fuel injector pulse" wire to one of these here, correct? I don't see a point for the speed. Could someone point me to the post / thread for how to do the reed / hall switch?
Old 09-24-2008, 05:54 PM   #715 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac7ss View Post
Well, got it fully built. Tested with a jumper wire and it "sees" pulses on the vss and fuel injector leads.

Now to hook the thing up.

I am hooking it up on a mazda b2600i. I see on the schematics that the ECU has 2 connections for the fuel injectors. (2 injectors per wire) I just hook up the "Fuel injector pulse" wire to one of these here, correct? I don't see a point for the speed. Could someone point me to the post / thread for how to do the reed / hall switch?
My injector ECU leads are set up the same way. Pick one and you should be good to go.

For the speed sensor, there isn't anything "VSS" or something along those lines listed? Could you possibly post the pinouts for your ECU?

Remember to use continuous power so you don't lose the tank settings every time you key off. I just tapped the power and ground leads from the ECU. I don't want to say that's guaranteed to work for every vehicle, though.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:28 PM   #716 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Got it installed today!!! (Found the VSS tap on the back of the speedometer.) I used the ECM for the power and Fuel injector pulse. (Every time I see ECM I think "Electronic Counter Measures".)

I will be calibrating it over the next few days. (It will be raining and I don't like to get wet on the motorcycle.) And I will post the calibration settings I get on the wiki page. I have already posted the preliminary that I am using.

I am, however, still enjoying my new sense of fuelessness. I do find it interesting how much some driving habits change the fuel economy.

Thank you DCB for creating this long awaited tool for those who don't have newer vehicles.

Last edited by ac7ss; 09-25-2008 at 08:11 PM..
Old 09-25-2008, 08:54 PM   #717 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
No, thank you, and everyone who has contributed with their time and talents and patience and contributions. Very glad it is working. Any installation hookup pics for the wiki?
Old 09-26-2008, 02:25 AM   #718 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I did not have the camera out for the install I can get at the fuel injector wire that I spliced into, but the vss is out of the question (a real bear to pull the instrument cluster) and I want to put the guage in a case. it is not pretty.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:40 PM   #719 (permalink)
Addicted

bbjsw10 - '91 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 51.06 mpg (US)
I added my case to the enclosures on Wiki.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:13 PM   #720 (permalink)
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjsw10 View Post
I added my case to the enclosures on Wiki.
and I might add, "it looks great!"